Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:28 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
How welcoming a community is isnt purely based on demographics. Theres a subtle racism in that.
i don't think anyone here was claiming this.

Quote:
Often people who have had bad experiences will speak in generalities and it will resonate, but that doesnt make it right. As a white kid growing up in Brooklyn, I had almost nothing but bad experiences with black kids, but Im not going to advise someone to immediately avoid an area just because the majority of the population is black. So I think it is extremely unfair to say 'well its 95% white so its not diverse, you wont be welcome, etc etc'
the issue with lyndhurst isn't that it's a majority white town. the problem is the overriding mentality in the community, which generally hasn't been welcoming toward people of color. while i'd like to assume that the situation has improved somewhat now that we're in the 21st century, recent personal experience has done nothing to convince me otherwise.

you seem to be insinuating that my experiences in town could've happened anywhere. well, yes and no - sure, there are bigots in both the expected and the unexpected places, but the lyndhurst i've known over the years has never been an open-minded one with regard to minorities. of course there are some cool people in the community who don't judge others by their background, but that doesn't mean that the overriding experience in town is a positive one for non-white people such as myself.

what my family experienced was not merely a result of the town being homogenous, nor was it a handful of isolated experiences. these things happened because the pervasive attitude in town was not a tolerant, inclusive one. i've been to more than a few homogenous towns in nj where i didn't feel unwelcome as a minority, but lyndhurst is not one of them.

Quote:
That said, it is absolutely possible that Lyndhurst isnt a good place to be. I have seen communities of ALL kinds (white, black, hispanic), that were clearly NOT for "outsiders". I have also seen white communities where hispanic or asian friends of mine automatically assumed they were "in big trouble" and got nothing but a warm welcome.
again, no one's making generalizations about every homogenous community out there. we're speaking about lyndhurst here. and no, i don't think lyndhurst is an awful place; it has a lot of things going for it - good mass transit and highway access, a great location near everything, and a safe community. i just wouldn't live there, and i'm certain that the OP wouldn't feel comfortable, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:06 AM

110 posts, read 548,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i don't think anyone here was claiming this.

the issue with lyndhurst isn't that it's a majority white town. the problem is the overriding mentality in the community, which generally hasn't been welcoming toward people of color. while i'd like to assume that the situation has improved somewhat now that we're in the 21st century, recent personal experience has done nothing to convince me otherwise.

you seem to be insinuating that my experiences in town could've happened anywhere. well, yes and no - sure, there are bigots in both the expected and the unexpected places, but the lyndhurst i've known over the years has never been an open-minded one with regard to minorities. of course there are some cool people in the community who don't judge others by their background, but that doesn't mean that the overriding experience in town is a positive one for non-white people such as myself.

what my family experienced was not merely a result of the town being homogenous, nor was it a handful of isolated experiences. these things happened because the pervasive attitude in town was not a tolerant, inclusive one. i've been to more than a few homogenous towns in nj where i didn't feel unwelcome as a minority, but lyndhurst is not one of them.

again, no one's making generalizations about every homogenous community out there. we're speaking about lyndhurst here. and no, i don't think lyndhurst is an awful place; it has a lot of things going for it - good mass transit and highway access, a great location near everything, and a safe community. i just wouldn't live there, and i'm certain that the OP wouldn't feel comfortable, either.

The same could be said for East Orange or Orange. Great mass transit. Walkable and at one time charming. But not welcoming to outsiders. Majority black population. The only white people left in those towns are elderly and often the targets of robberies and muggings. I also have an acquaintance, a Colombian man, who did not feel comfortable living in a black community, he felt safer in Jersey City.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM

82 posts, read 250,242 times
Hi,
Well I have lived (36 years) and went to schools in Lyndhurst. Folks in and around the town will welcome African Americans, however, the population in town and schools is less than 1%. Its just personal preference of how comfortable you are. If you would like a more diverse area that includes African American culture, I would suggest Montclair, The Oranges etc.

Regards,

Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
My sister lives in lyndhurst and she misses the black people lol! shes italian tho but her husband lived in lyndhurst since he was born and he didnt want 2 leave, me and my sister grew up in hackensack and im glad i did because if i was to grow up in white collar bergen with the stuck ups i would die.. or murder (hah jk)! , its really mixed there in hackensack and theres really know minority in hackensack. And its safe

i think this year there was 1 black kid in lyndhurst high school out of 700 or summin like that

Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
Lyndhurst has sizable Asian and Hispanic populations, so why wouldn't African Americans be welcome as well?

Although Lyndhurst is safe, I don't think its all that either. I have seen plenty of dumpy looking homes there.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,928 times
Lyndhurst is a racist town. They don't accept any other ethnic backgrounds. All you hear are racial slurs, harassment, taunting, threats and no one speaks out or fight against this ignorant hate. The blacks and Hispanics are hated, harassed, beaten, wrongfully accused or arrested. The police and school official are just as bad because the contribute to the discrimination. Sadly I and my friends have seen and experienced it all. It's known as the kkk or skinhead town. They should all be ashamed of themselves

Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Lyndhurst has sizable Asian and Hispanic populations, so why wouldn't African Americans be welcome as well?
To the intolerant, Asians and Hispanics (if they are not Black) are much more "acceptable" than are African Americans.

That's just the way it is.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
I've lived in Bergen County (Tenafly) my entire life and this is the first I'm hearing that Lyndhurst is a racist town. Growing up in this area, I have always felt as though it's a very diversed area- a melting pot for all. Then again, I never saw color, or anything else that separated one from the other ... I ONLY see humanbeing. It saddens me that here we are in 2011 and people are still thinking about one's skin color.

WHO CARES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey