Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times

Advertisements

My friend and her husband are trying to decide what to do with their house. They have a cape in EB and have decided that they do not want to sell and buy another but they need more space. They are trying to decide whether to do an addition or tear down the house they have and put up a modular. Her husband is very handy and has connections in the construction world so he may be able to do a lot of the interior work himself, but may not want to commit that kind of time either. So what are the pros and cons of their choices? Again-selling is not an option. She's a stay at home mom, they are happy to be able to send their kids to EB, and their taxes are pretty reasonable where they are at. They understand that they will go up once they add on, but they want to stay on the property they are at.
Thanks for any info I can pass on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
My friend and her husband are trying to decide what to do with their house. They have a cape in EB and have decided that they do not want to sell and buy another but they need more space. They are trying to decide whether to do an addition or tear down the house they have and put up a modular. Her husband is very handy and has connections in the construction world so he may be able to do a lot of the interior work himself, but may not want to commit that kind of time either. So what are the pros and cons of their choices? Again-selling is not an option. She's a stay at home mom, they are happy to be able to send their kids to EB, and their taxes are pretty reasonable where they are at. They understand that they will go up once they add on, but they want to stay on the property they are at.
Thanks for any info I can pass on.
after doing a couple of renovations, I would vote for doing a tear down versus a renovation. You need to crunch the numbers to see if it makes financial sense. When you renovate there are always issues tying the old to the new and sometimes it is just easier to start from scratch, you can plan it exactly the way you want without the compromises of renovation.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM

157 posts, read 780,559 times
Default a different perspective

As an interior designer, I couldn't let this go by without commenting. Unless you spend big $$$, an addition/ renovation will have more charm, character, curb apeal, etc. than new construction. I have seen many capes with a 2nd story put on, and maybe a porch addition, that look adorable. On the other hand, we all know the cookie cutter boxes that are put up in place of a small home torn down. Try to balance the desire for space, with the need for quality and design integrity.

Just my two cents...

Old 07-18-2007, 04:21 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
My brother is a contractor and he would tell you that sometimes it can be cheaper to tear down BUT he would never recommend a modular home.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:30 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
The economics of teardown vs renovate/addition depend on the condition and layout of the starting point. If the structure is capable of supporting any additional loads, and the existing layout can be salvaged at least in part, it'll normally be cheaper to renovate and add on. If the structure is weak, or the layout requires major changes already, a teardown may end up being more cost effective.

WRT modular construction, they've come a long way in recent years, and I wouldn't hesitate to put one up if I needed to get closed in quickly. Their main advantage is time savings- cost differences between stick-built and modular aren't that great, especially if you start getting really custom.

Bob

Old 07-19-2007, 07:19 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'll let her know your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: