Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,400 times

Advertisements

Recently moved back to NY but lived on Sherman Ave. btw Franklin & Ferry Sts in the Heights for 3 years. It's an ok area but my problem and since you lived in Union City you definetely would not have a problem.

There's actually no problem in getting into NY, you have the Light Rail on Congress or the #87 Bus to Hoboken. You also have the #123 that goes straight into Port Authority which I used to take.

There's only two supermarkets in the area Stop & Shop on Central and Supremo on Palisades & Ferry.

Central Ave is where most folks do their shopping and it looks like a lot of new stores are opening there.

You shouldn't have a problem. The school system I can't comment on because my kids were educated in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 AM

81 posts, read 140,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Recently moved back to NY but lived on Sherman Ave. btw Franklin & Ferry Sts in the Heights for 3 years. It's an ok area but my problem and since you lived in Union City you definetely would not have a problem.

There's actually no problem in getting into NY, you have the Light Rail on Congress or the #87 Bus to Hoboken. You also have the #123 that goes straight into Port Authority which I used to take.

There's only two supermarkets in the area Stop & Shop on Central and Supremo on Palisades & Ferry.

Central Ave is where most folks do their shopping and it looks like a lot of new stores are opening there.

You shouldn't have a problem. The school system I can't comment on because my kids were educated in NY.
Thanks for the response! The house we're considering is actually right around the corner from there. I am sold on it but my girlfriend is on the fence. She keeps pointing out articles of crime right around the area and she is worried for her safety. How is Mountain Road coming up from the light rail when its dark?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 AM

BTW did your first sentence get cut off?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
I know this post is a bit old, but I'm actually considering a house in JC Heights on Webster Ave. Very nicely kept older home which sold in 2005 for $340k and asking price now is $225k. With that said, I don't understand why some people are saying not to expect a high return on a home in this area. In this case I would blame the price drop on the economy not the location. Wouldn't it be fair to say that if/when the economy bounces back the value of the home could potentially rise again well into the 300's? Granted the $225k is asking price and it could end up selling for more.

I'm still confused with this neighborhood though, some people say its terrible and others say it isn't that bad. Can someone who actually lives in the area shed some light on this? I live in Union City now, how does it compare? Not really interested in what someone who lives in the suburbs has to say unless they know what they're talking about. I can google JC Heights and read all sorts of crime reports, why then are there $600k plus condos down the block from said property?
i don't know about the specific spot you're speaking about, but like i said previously, with the proximity to the elevator into Hoboken, and the easy commute into the city, I see no reason why this area wouldn't improve over time. But, I don't know that that would translate into a 40% price appreciation on a $225k condo. thoughts like that are what got us into this mess, and I think peoples' memories of this mess will keep future real estate appreciation more "normal". but....like i said, i think you could most likely easily rent the unit out to someone to cover your costs if you needed to, and in the meantime, hope that the area keeps improving and the schools improve. With my friend living on Ogden, we never felt unsafe in that section.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i don't know about the specific spot you're speaking about, but like i said previously, with the proximity to the elevator into Hoboken, and the easy commute into the city, I see no reason why this area wouldn't improve over time. But, I don't know that that would translate into a 40% price appreciation on a $225k condo. thoughts like that are what got us into this mess, and I think peoples' memories of this mess will keep future real estate appreciation more "normal". but....like i said, i think you could most likely easily rent the unit out to someone to cover your costs if you needed to, and in the meantime, hope that the area keeps improving and the schools improve. With my friend living on Ogden, we never felt unsafe in that section.
The location is Webster Ave. between Franklin St. and Hutton St. It's also a one family row/town house not a condo. The building next to it is called the Hugo Pronti Artist Loft Building, all the condos I've seen there sold in the $300 to $600k range.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The location is Webster Ave. between Franklin St. and Hutton St. It's also a one family row/town house not a condo. The building next to it is called the Hugo Pronti Artist Loft Building, all the condos I've seen there sold in the $300 to $600k range.
how recently did they sell for those prices? my first thought would be, what's wrong with this place if it's listed for $225 and a condo next to it sold for $300....something isn't right, or that one you're looking at should get snatched up quickly. i don't remember webster ave. he moved out like, 8 months ago, and i never paid attention to all the street names. i'd know it if i saw it though.

i still think the heights is a good choice for place to live. it might take longer to benefit once the recovery is in full swing. still lots of places near grove street that can be built up. who knows though. i wouldn't buy there expecting a large increase in price over time, but i would be pretty confident that rents will hold strong, and prices have no reason to really drop.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
how recently did they sell for those prices? my first thought would be, what's wrong with this place if it's listed for $225 and a condo next to it sold for $300....something isn't right, or that one you're looking at should get snatched up quickly. i don't remember webster ave. he moved out like, 8 months ago, and i never paid attention to all the street names. i'd know it if i saw it though.

i still think the heights is a good choice for place to live. it might take longer to benefit once the recovery is in full swing. still lots of places near grove street that can be built up. who knows though. i wouldn't buy there expecting a large increase in price over time, but i would be pretty confident that rents will hold strong, and prices have no reason to really drop.

Most recent one I saw was sold in 2009, earliest sale I saw was 2001, a bunch in 2005 etc. There is nothing wrong with the place from what I can tell, I went to see it yesterday. Remember that it sold in 2005 for $340k. It hasn't been on the market very long.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Most recent one I saw was sold in 2009, earliest sale I saw was 2001, a bunch in 2005 etc. There is nothing wrong with the place from what I can tell, I went to see it yesterday. Remember that it sold in 2005 for $340k. It hasn't been on the market very long.
prices in 2005 are meaningless to me in comparisons for a 2011 purchase. 2006 was the peak of the market, so 2005 prices are near the peak. 2009 is probably a more realistic comparison, but prices in these areas have dropped since 2009 as well. i wouldn't expect prices to get anywhere close to 2006 levels for a long long time. they were too inflated, people were overextending themselves, and access to credit now is fundamentally changed.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
prices in 2005 are meaningless to me in comparisons for a 2011 purchase. 2006 was the peak of the market, so 2005 prices are near the peak. 2009 is probably a more realistic comparison, but prices in these areas have dropped since 2009 as well. i wouldn't expect prices to get anywhere close to 2006 levels for a long long time. they were too inflated, people were overextending themselves, and access to credit now is fundamentally changed.
Yea definitely, I'm not trying to make a fortune I'm just concerned about the safety of the neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM

97 posts, read 311,023 times
Quote:
Yea definitely, I'm not trying to make a fortune I'm just concerned about the safety of the neighborhood.
I actually had a friend that lived very close to that area. I’ve been there at 3am and 8pm and always felt safe. He had a BMW that he always parked outside and never had a problem. I believe when you work closer towards the reservoir, the area does become a sketchier (not sure how far you have to walk for this to happen though).

Everybody's definition of safe is different. Did you ask your realtor her opinion? Do you see bars on windows and/or stores? Do you feel safe walking around there? Why don't you take a drive through there at night and a walk around there during the day. Ask people you see walking around there what they think of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey