Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM

42 posts, read 101,986 times

Advertisements

Here's the bakery website, They sell the rolls in VA, too. Find them & make your sandwiches, the right way, at home. Vieira's Bakery :: Customers[/quote]

Now that looks like awesome bread!!! I will check my local stores. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketweave View Post
Here's the bakery website, They sell the rolls in VA, too. Find them & make your sandwiches, the right way, at home. Vieira's Bakery :: Customers

Now that looks like awesome bread!!! I will check my local stores. Thanks!
It's from North Jersey. I used to buy Vieira portugese rolls at Pathmark sometimes. They carry 4 or 5 different rolls in Ingles (a NC chain out of Asheville). I'm near one of their eastern-most stores. Another NC chain, Lowes Foods, imports bread from a couple of NJ bakeries.

If I can get it near Charlotte, you can get it near Fairfax! It's just a matter of finding the right store/s. Once you find your bread source/s, you have it made.

Now the funny thing is, in the 60s & early 70s, as the mills closed down in Philly, some of the mill workers came down to this area. They brought certain foods of the area with them & the younger locals, here, think that the adopted & adapted MidAtlantic foods are their own.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't think that I could do Texas.

Here's the bakery website, They sell the rolls in VA, too. Find them & make your sandwiches, the right way, at home. Vieira's Bakery :: Customers
I agree...often when you move to a new location you miss the "what ever" from where you left. The "good" ingredients can almost always be had at a good super market. Buy the imported meats,cheeses or what ever you need and learn how to make it yourself.
Case in point...I visit my mother in Florida about twice a year. Really good pizza down there is nearly impossible to find. Thick bready crust, overly sweet sauce, bubble gum mozzarella predominates. I've learned to make thin crust Neapolitan style myself. It's way better than most local pizza places up here and is always a must have request when I visit.

Or often you can have things shipped. I've gotten the real deal olive & peppers mix sent to me from a famous sandwich shop in New Orleans in order to make the local "Muffuletta".

Old 02-05-2011, 10:23 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I agree...often when you move to a new location you miss the "what ever" from where you left. The "good" ingredients can almost always be had at a good super market. Buy the imported meats,cheeses or what ever you need and learn how to make it yourself.
Case in point...I visit my mother in Florida about twice a year. Really good pizza down there is nearly impossible to find. Thick bready crust, overly sweet sauce, bubble gum mozzarella predominates. I've learned to make thin crust Neapolitan style myself. It's way better than most local pizza places up here and is always a must have request when I visit.

Or often you can have things shipped. I've gotten the real deal olive & peppers mix sent to me from a famous sandwich shop in New Orleans in order to make the local "Muffuletta".

On the Charlotte board, overall, the number one gripe topic centers on foods. When someone tells them where to find what they're looking for, or a reasonable substitute, they become noticeably happier.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM

77 posts, read 376,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't know. I can relate to the OP's sentiment. When I was younger, I thought I hated NJ also. I went to schools in DC, (SF)CA, and Chicago, IL. After all those other places, I realized that NJ was still the best place to live. The stuff I thought I hated was relegated to minor annoyances. No matter how beautiful a place is, or how warm a place is, or how low the taxes are, you still have to deal with the people who live there for 12 hours a day. You still have to deal with the differences in their societies and customs. Then there is the issue of family and friends. When I finished residency, I really could have lived ANYWHERE, and I would have had a "better lifestyle" in most of the rest of the country than I do in NJ, but I still picked moving back to NJ. And as much as I complain about it, I would do the same again because I already know what many people still have to learn, that the grass really isn't greener on the other side.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Like anesthesia I lived in several other states. I lived in Virginia, Tenn, Conn, and also in southern NJ. In many ways living in Cape May was like living in another state. Currently I live in Northern NJ. It isn't until you are living elsewhere that you suddenly realize the things you miss about your old residence. As someone earlier mentioned try to get a good pizza in another state. I have to extend this to bagels as well. Here in northern NJ we have anything and everything we want just a short drive away. We like our conveniences, here we have it. Move somewhere else and a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread might be a 15-20 minute drive away, even in south and northwest NJ. We do not have to plan our shopping trips days in advance, we just drive or walk out to the store and purchase what we need. Live in another state and frequently this is what one needs to do.

It is expensive to live here. My wife recently retired and I will also retire in the next few years. Our biggest concern is trying to plan how to afford to stay here. Our family and friends all live here which would make leaving extremely difficult. People often say that we will make new friends in our new setting. However, when we all get older it is more difficult to make new friends. I would be lying if I said we were not looking at property in other states, nothing is really appealing except for southern NJ. Maybe we will end up back in Cape May county, who knows. As people, we do not know what we have until it is gone. Right now this is where we are as NJ is trying to change things in the state. Many of the people screaming for change in NJ should go live in another state, they will gladly return to NJ and not complain again.
Bill

Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
When I lived in NJ - I thought it was the worst place to live but now that I moved I miss it terribly - you never know what you had until it is gone.
When I lived in NJ I was in agreement with you....now after 25 years away....I find that I was right.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post

It is expensive to live here. My wife recently retired and I will also retire in the next few years. Our biggest concern is trying to plan how to afford to stay here. Our family and friends all live here which would make leaving extremely difficult. People often say that we will make new friends in our new setting. However, when we all get older it is more difficult to make new friends. I would be lying if I said we were not looking at property in other states, nothing is really appealing except for southern NJ. Maybe we will end up back in Cape May county, who knows. As people, we do not know what we have until it is gone. Right now this is where we are as NJ is trying to change things in the state. Many of the people screaming for change in NJ should go live in another state, they will gladly return to NJ and not complain again.
Bill
I think there are still some places in NJ that are good to retire to, south Jersey mostly, 55 and overs. Leisuretown in Southampton is nice, good location, cheap taxes and houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey