Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:20 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I never wait. The guy comes right over. Then I get to sit in my car with my kids and text or listen to the radio or something. It's great.
I can't believe that so many folks are that lazy on this one issue though. NJ is a very work-oriented place, but people can't be bothered to perform the same basic task that they perform in Virginia, in Texas, in California, in North Dakota, etc.?

Besides the union strongarming, I think the reason it sticks around in NJ is due to an entitlement culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default lack of tolerance in NJ

"Thanks for pointing that out and pointing out how out of place your comment is. are we in a corporate setting? He's a public official"

Corporate settings reflect the attitude of the direction of current social culture.

There are many cutting edge aspects of acceptable behavior and language that are championed in corporate culture and desirable in general society. Insulting people because of their weight would qualify a grade shooler as a bully. Not sure what you'd call an adult with the same attitude.

Anyone who wishes to engage in back alley, bar room, school bus stop conversation, might just want to keep that private instead of broadcasting such a base attitude on a worldwide forum.

The original post would make more sense if CC was a contender for wide receiver on a professional football team where height, weight, speed and physical agility were directly related to performance and the team's profit.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I can't believe that so many folks are that lazy on this one issue though. NJ is a very work-oriented place, but people can't be bothered to perform the same basic task that they perform in Virginia, in Texas, in California, in North Dakota, etc.?

Besides the union strongarming, I think the reason it sticks around in NJ is due to an entitlement culture.
I am not lazy. I just don't find jumping out of my car that always has a couple of kids in the back appealing, especially in the rain, snow, etc.

Where is the union strong-arming in this? Are gas pumpers unionized?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Lord knows I'm guilty of thread jacking as much as the next guy, but there are already so many "pumping gas" threads out there, and you can read the same arguments on both sides over and over again.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Christie being fat would be just like Obama going around smoking in public.......it is going to cost him a lot of votes in this new nanny society we have now.

I believe Obama hasn't had a cig in nearly a year, how much public pressure had to do with his quitting we will never know.

I don't think Christie can get elected at the weight he is now. The overweight are now vilified just like smokers because of their higher health care costs. Christie sets a very bad example......especially now with the cost of health care on the front burner.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:55 AM

I agree, Christie can't go national at the weight he is now.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
OK I don't care how fat Christie gets. I didn't vote for him but he does seem to be doing a pretty good job so far. But he will never be able to get the property taxes reduces any significant amount. Too many against doing away with home rule even his own party.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Too many against doing away with home rule even his own party.
Good point.

This is what I don't understand with NJ. Does every single town need its own police force, superintendent, public works, etc...? No, they don't.

Other states are doing just fine with merged services that cover several municipalities, and some states (I used to live in one), officials reduced the financial burden by switching to a county-wide system (one super for the county, a large police force for that particular county, etc...).

Why are people so resistant to the consolidation idea? Are they afraid that their precious Timmy and Tammy Poopy Pants kids will have to go to school in Irvington even though they live in Essex Fells or vise-vesa? See, that is not reality, and it doesn't happen to the point where you see a mass-influx of kids from impoverished areas flooding a wealthy district.

What cracks me up is how quickly many in this state quip that NJ is a progressive place to live, but in reality, Jersey is slowly approaching 1958. Times have changed, and the state needs to change as well.

Again, I could care less if Christie was confined to his bed because of his weight. If he was able to put an end to this goat rodeo, I'd send him a muffin basket daily.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post

Why are people so resistant to the consolidation idea? Are they afraid that their precious Timmy and Tammy Poopy Pants kids will have to go to school in Irvington even though they live in Essex Fells or vise-vesa?
Yes.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
His weight is not an issue to me.

It is what it is.

As far as stress, most stress is caused by internal indecision. Worrying about whether you made the right decisions or not.

Trying to please everyone is very stressful.

I think that confident, honest people have much lower stress levels than people with internal indecision.

Christie seems very much secure in his decisions. As did clinton, Reagan and Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey