Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
1) Section 8 is federal money, not state money.
Semantics.... the tax payer is still on the hook.

Quote:
2) Section 8 is not considered "welfare."
It is only a misnomer because of technicality and simply because the person doesn't need to, or care to, discern. They are both assistance that is paid for by somebody else.

Quote:
3) Agreed. Corruption certainly exists with Section 8. Like all entitlement programs (where taxpayers pay the personal bills for certain "entitlees") there are truly needy recipients and abusive recipients. (But I don't see the relevance of SocSec/Disability to this thread.) Unfortunately, to provide for the truly needy, there will be some bloodsucking leeches along the way.
Some? or many?

Quote:
4) But the point everyone is missing is this: Nobody within the system gives a damn whether or not there is fraud! Who is going to investigate this? Just someone whose job depends on the system existing with as little scrutiny as possible.

The only one who gets hurt is the one who rocks the boat, and in this case, that will be the OP.
A lot of these programs need to be scaled back... People need to be weened off these programs. There is no incentive for people to get back (or to begin if they never were) productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 21,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
What exactly will you be reporting? More than likely in order for her to remain in the 2 bdr apt, she had to provide information on her adult childrens finances, otherwise should we have been downgraded to a 1 brd.

What are they doing that is disturbing your peace to the point that you know so much about the goings on in their house hold?

i have to agree there but a new car? i wish i could afford one but you do know welfare up here will help with one if everyone in the house is working maybe that's how they got the new car and van. you never know and section 8 housing are strict so what you tell them she already reported. specially since section 8 comes out to visit you in your home least they do up here where i am.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Section 8 is not that strict.. She may not even have to report her adult children's finances. There are plenty of ways around these things...

For example, her daughter may be using a different mailing address. The revolving door husband/boyfriends also may live there.

And when only 30% of rent is coming off the tenants back, maybe the loss of privacy becomes trivial to them when you are pushing a brand new car and buying brand new clothes every week. *shrugs*

Old 02-24-2011, 01:04 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
Hoping someone can offer some direction - we have a family living next door that has been section 8 for about 15 years in the same apartment, mother, grown daughter and their revolving boyfriends/husbands occupy the 2 BR. Currently the mom works part time at a taxi company, daughter just graduated college and is a teacher’s assistant and her boyfriend is a pizza delivery boy. In the past year, the two younger ones have purchased 2 brand new cars (pizza boy is now delivering in a 2011 shiny red Camarro???) They only eat McDs and are home most of the time - I'm not trying to be a busybody but as hard working property owners who pay way too much in NJ taxes, I think I have a right to question how they have 2 new cars and get their rent paid by other people.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about reporting them to Section 8, who to call and what to say in order to initiative an investigation?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Damn I wonder if they know alot about your life?, just like you know alot about theirs..

Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 21,085 times
section 8 is strict here wish i had clothes that fit new ones would be nice and a car not that i have a drivers licence, i just dont get how some people on disability like myself get told no all the time and others get things handed to them and working people who desperately need the help are pushed aside too. it just doesnt make sence. like my neighbor was told she makes a dollar to much. a dollar for goodness sake!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM

572 posts, read 2,022,278 times
You do know that anyone can walk into a dealership, pay exorbanent amounts of interest and walk out with a car right?!?!?!!? You also realize that there are some very enticing low mileage lease offeres on multiple vehicles for under $200 a month also right?!?!?!

I have a 24 year old brother that has a shiny new 2010 vehicle, his own apartment and pretty nice clothes. He WORKS for every penny he makes and he buys everything HIMSELF. I would hate for his neighbors in a very nice neighborhood in Springfield to assume that because he is a young guy with a new car and nice clothes that he was defrauding section 8...or worse that he is a drug dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
I thought the exact same thing. How else could a young guy afford a car from this year (other than winning the lottery-which you have to claim on your taxes)?

OP, if the family is not bothering you in anyway, I would just leave the situation alone, for your own safety. The landlord might already have suspicions about the family anyway; let him deal with them. That's his job, not yours. Plus, drug dealers don't like snitches. Just saying.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,724 times
Nothing will happen if your complain to the housing authority. I work at an apartment complex and almost every woman on Section 8 her boyfriend living with her illegally. All the women have to say is that the guy doesn't live with them and the Housing Authority employees have their hands tied. They are also so over-worked that they don't have to time to be trying to kick people off the program. The Landlords/Owners also do not care about illegal residents living for free with Section 8 women, as long as they are getting paid they get turn a blind eye. The system is majorly flawed.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM

191 posts, read 698,261 times
I appreciate everyone's comments though I don't agree with most. I know a bit more about the situation that I didn't mention, just supplied the most important facts. Yes the tenants are Section 8 for a fact, yes the landlord knows all and doesn't care, yes we've already had much worse tenants living next door as a result of this landlord's poor choices and lack of interest and we stood up to them as any intelligent home owner who cares about their property should. I think the people who suggest it would be best to mind my own business because they're not bothering me or because I might get worse neighbors are very naive (btw, tresspassing and attempting to hit my boyfriend with their car bothers me). Since when is looking the other way the right thing to do - when you see something that isn't right and you know that you as a taxpayer are footing the bill for people who take advantage of the system - you have the right and the responsibility to say something. Ignoring the problem is how things got to this point!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
So.... what did you do?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
I appreciate everyone's comments though I don't agree with most. I know a bit more about the situation that I didn't mention, just supplied the most important facts. Yes the tenants are Section 8 for a fact, yes the landlord knows all and doesn't care, yes we've already had much worse tenants living next door as a result of this landlord's poor choices and lack of interest and we stood up to them as any intelligent home owner who cares about their property should. I think the people who suggest it would be best to mind my own business because they're not bothering me or because I might get worse neighbors are very naive (btw, tresspassing and attempting to hit my boyfriend with their car bothers me). Since when is looking the other way the right thing to do - when you see something that isn't right and you know that you as a taxpayer are footing the bill for people who take advantage of the system - you have the right and the responsibility to say something. Ignoring the problem is how things got to this point!
This sounds different than your first post. I thought you just wanted to report them because you thought they were guilty of fraud re Section 8. If they are trespassing and threatening to run your BF over, then you should call the cops immediately, whether they are Section 8 or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey