Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,413,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i need to release my toyota corolla from its' snowy shackles (yes, it's still stuck in the snow) and start driving that again!
them things never die!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,050,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I plan to buy a rain suit so I can ride my cycle to work in crappy weather as well as sunny days. It will need more TLC on weekends to keep her shiny, but it's better than putting a C note in my truck's tank every week!
I've started riding my bike to the gym instead of driving. Has to save 5 or 6 gallons a week. Plus I get to skip the hateful treadmill when I get there!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I've started riding my bike to the gym instead of driving. Has to save 5 or 6 gallons a week. Plus I get to skip the hateful treadmill when I get there!
Just make your ride longer and skip the gym. Save a few bucks.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Went by the local Lukoil today 12 cents more then yesterday. Now 3.15 a gallon and rising fast. Where's them electric cars?
Just head down to your local Chevy dealer and you can pick up a Volt for $350 a month for a 3-year lease.

I was considering one, but it doesn't make sense for me do to the length of my commute. I wouldn't be able to roundtrip on electric alone and would easily exceed the mileage on the lease. I won't be able to save enough buying one versus what I already have to make the switch. If you drive 50 miles or less a day, it's the best deal you can get on a new car.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 PM

98 posts, read 269,158 times
NJGOAT--you are part of the reason that this state is in trouble:greed, stupidity, and "If no one knows, then i can get away with it." People blame the government for everything, how about blaming the backsliders that take advantage of the governement (single woman with 3 kids by 3 different baby daddies needs more money, ok, have another baby).

Now the "elite" that have their gas guzzling SUV's will comaplin once again. my question: if you can afford a McMansion, why can't you afford gas? If they raised the cost of pedicures or nail wraps, you'd still run out and get them no matter what the price. Welcome to NJ: home of the idiots.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,413,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Just head down to your local Chevy dealer and you can pick up a Volt for $350 a month for a 3-year lease.

I was considering one, but it doesn't make sense for me do to the length of my commute. I wouldn't be able to roundtrip on electric alone and would easily exceed the mileage on the lease. I won't be able to save enough buying one versus what I already have to make the switch. If you drive 50 miles or less a day, it's the best deal you can get on a new car.
$350/month for 10,000 miles per year? my commute puts me around 12,000 miles per year. i wonder how it compares in cost vs savings versus the chevy cruz (that's basically what it is). i like the Leaf vs the Versus numbers, especially with a lease. but same thing...cost of leaf vs versus...hmmmm.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
NJGOAT--you are part of the reason that this state is in trouble:greed, stupidity, and "If no one knows, then i can get away with it." People blame the government for everything, how about blaming the backsliders that take advantage of the governement (single woman with 3 kids by 3 different baby daddies needs more money, ok, have another baby).

Now the "elite" that have their gas guzzling SUV's will comaplin once again. my question: if you can afford a McMansion, why can't you afford gas? If they raised the cost of pedicures or nail wraps, you'd still run out and get them no matter what the price. Welcome to NJ: home of the idiots.
Woah there chief. Where did I ever make statements that would lead you to believe that what you just wrote somehow applies to me.

If anything I have just as much disdain for the "backsliders" that you do. However, I would place the blame on the government for allowing the entitlement programs to exist to propagate that behavior.

None of anything else you posted applies to me in the least. I don't live in a McMansion...I live in a townhouse. I no longer own a gas guzzling SUV, but the one I did own was my wife's car and was something she always wanted. We bought it cheap and it was a great truck. If it was up to me we never would have bought it in the first place. I get my hair cut at Great Clips, usually with a $5.99 coupon and I've never had a pedicure or nail wrap.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
$350/month for 10,000 miles per year? my commute puts me around 12,000 miles per year. i wonder how it compares in cost vs savings versus the chevy cruz (that's basically what it is). i like the Leaf vs the Versus numbers, especially with a lease. but same thing...cost of leaf vs versus...hmmmm.
It all depends on how long you keep the car and how expensive gas is as to whether or not it makes sense financially. For instance, I can tell you on pretty good authority that a Corolla (or any other equally efficient car) is a much more cost effective vehicle than a Prius over 5-10 years of ownership unless gas is around $6.50 a gallon.

The electrics are a little different, since the cost for the electic range is pennies compared to what it is on gas. For instance, to charge the Volts battery for 50 miles would cost you about $1 in electic at average NJ rates. A Prius would cost you whatever the cost per gallon is to go the same distance. A regular, yet efficient car would cost you about 1.5 times the cost of a gallon to go 50 miles. The same math per 50 miles holds true on the Leaf, but the issue with that for a lot of people is the limited range, which isn't a problem on the Volt.

So, you can peg the savings at about $2 per day for 50 miles of driving versus a Prius and about $3 per day versus a regular efficient car. Over the course of a month, that's only about $60-$90 give or take. So, base your math from there. What you will probably find is that until gas gets in the $6 range, the cost premium for a hybrid or electric won't make much sense versus something like a Cruze or Versa.

However, if the Volts lease program can work for you, it is about as cheap as you can get to drive or at the very least equal to whatever else is out there and the Volt is a much nicer car than many of the bargain bin cars you would be getting on a cheaper monthly payment.

Of course the most economical car, is generally the one you already own.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,352,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Went by the local Lukoil today 12 cents more then yesterday. Now 3.15 a gallon and rising fast. Where's them electric cars?
I guess it depends on when they change the prices, but I've noticed a bunch of times pretty significant differences between 2 stations right down the road from each other. Today I saw one place at $3.19 and another one across the street at $3.33

Old 02-25-2011, 02:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
im hoping they will go after the royal family of saudi arabia. attacking israel would be a sweet move. that should send the price of oil through the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey