Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I guess it depends on when they change the prices, but I've noticed a bunch of times pretty significant differences between 2 stations right down the road from each other. Today I saw one place at $3.19 and another one across the street at $3.33
It comes down to when the stations take delivery and what their contract purchasing is like as to when they raise the prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
U know what I don't understand. They raise the price everyday. The gas that most stations have in their undrground tanks was delivered and bought at least a week or 2 ago. So before any more gas arrives they run up the sign everyday and up the price. THAT is pure greed. It's one thing if the delivery truck pulls up today and we get charged the new price. But to jack it up on a prior sale is downright thievery. Welcome to capitalism at it's finest.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:32 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
U know what I don't understand. They raise the price everyday. The gas that most stations have in their undrground tanks was delivered and bought at least a week or 2 ago. So before any more gas arrives they run up the sign everyday and up the price. THAT is pure greed. It's one thing if the delivery truck pulls up today and we get charged the new price. But to jack it up on a prior sale is downright thievery. Welcome to capitalism at it's finest.
10 things you should know about gas prices - MSN Money

Quote:
8. Why do gas stations raise their prices when they still have the lower-priced gasoline in their tanks?

In every market, the cost of an item is the amount needed to replace that item, the "replacement cost."

Retail stations make very little profit on gasoline sales -- an average of 2 to 3 cents per gallon at convenience stores, which sell 80% of the nation's gas. They make less when prices rise, sometimes even losing money, and play a dicey game of chicken to compete for customers.
Gas stations do make money when lower-priced gasoline is left in their tanks. But they lose money when higher-priced gasoline is in the tanks as prices outside drop. With a check to the distributor for 10,000 gallons of product about to clear, they can't wait for the market to improve.

"The thing is, that gas will sit in the ground until we get more competitive," said Ren Gladu, owner of Ren's Mobile Service in Amherst, Mass. "It's dead money. . . . We want to sell that gas as quick as we can."

In the end, it's a wash, said Jeff Lenard, spokesman for the National Association of Convenience Stores. "When prices are going up, people are hanging out of trees with binoculars," he said. "But you generally don't get unsolicited hugs for dropping prices without a shipment."
That seems to be the answer. They need to chase prices up to stay profitable, but they also need to chase prices down to keep customers. It really comes down to gas being mostly up lately and not so much down.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
its unbelievable the stuff people say when they clearly dont know what they are talking about and want to trash certain people or economic systems.

hey jersey, how greedy am i. i invested in oil and i want some middle eastern country to attack israel just so i can make some money.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I've wondered that too but as far as I know they also lower the prices when the price goes down so I guess it goes both ways.

As far as the whole "game of chicken" thing, it's definitely interesting. The last time gas prices shot up it seemed many places were afraid to go over the $4 barrier and kept it at $3.99 as long as they could. This time around I think they were afraid to go over $3 at first but IMO now that it's well over $3 the chains are off.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just make your ride longer and skip the gym. Save a few bucks.
Can't. No weights, no muscles. The public unfortunately demands that their realtors look a certain way...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Can't. No weights, no muscles. The public unfortunately demands that their realtors look a certain way...
i wouldnt consider doing business with a realtor unless he can bech at least 250 pounds.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wouldnt consider doing business with a realtor unless he can bech at least 250 pounds.
And be able to take out a polar bear. With only his legs.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Gas is certainly not the only commodity that works that way. A large part of my company deals with steel. When prices of steel goes up, we raise our prices for our goods that contain steel. It doesn't matter what price we bought it at. But, it works the other way around. Steel prices drop and we have to drop our prices. Doesn't matter that the next shipment might have gone through the roof.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And be able to take out a polar bear. With only his legs.
like one of these guys?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey