Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM

81 posts, read 140,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm assuming your monthly income is after tax, correct?

Did you also include health insurance in your expenses?

Credit card bills? Do you mean you have a balance you down pay every month?
Yes the monthly income is after taxes. Health insurance is included. The credit card bill is my girlfriends and yes she down pays it every month but it's really not that much money. She just got her first real job about 2 weeks ago (she's straight out of grad school) so she'll be able to pay it off pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Credit card bills? Do you mean you have a balance you down pay every month?
i found it interesting when i was doing those calculators for myself that they expect you to put the minimum payment on credit cards. as if i would ever only make the minimum payment and pay credit card interest. id hate myself if i ever paid credit card interest.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
So we went to look at a condo that we really liked and then finally sat down and played with some numbers. Here's what it looks like.

Condo price - $242k
Mortgage including taxes/maintenance/PMI - $1,998 (w/10% down)

Our combined monthly expenses - $2,406 (this includes credit card bills, car, car insurance, gas, etc...)

Our combined monthly income is $6,800 (this is on the safe side, I usually work some OT and make more)

So that leaves us with $2,396 for utilities/savings/everything else.

Is it just me or are we left with too tight of a budget?
If I remember correctly, you are living with your parents right now.

I'm assuming most of your monthly expenses between the two of you are there whether or not you buy this condo. (the 2406)

And I think you said you are paying $500 to live with your parents right now.

I would go batty living at home, so for me, it would be a choice between renting and buying this. IOW, don't compare your current situation to this, compare renting to this.

I think the numbers seem fine. 2300 left is plenty IMO after all the other bills are paid. Maybe make a rough estimate for utilities and put that up with expenses, along with cable and cells too if you haven't already.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
So we went to look at a condo that we really liked and then finally sat down and played with some numbers. Here's what it looks like.

Condo price - $242k
Mortgage including taxes/maintenance/PMI - $1,998 (w/10% down)

Our combined monthly expenses - $2,406 (this includes credit card bills, car, car insurance, gas, etc...)

Our combined monthly income is $6,800 (this is on the safe side, I usually work some OT and make more)

So that leaves us with $2,396 for utilities/savings/everything else.

Is it just me or are we left with too tight of a budget?
Keep going. I think people get in trouble like this. Make as complete a budget as possible. Put in utilities. Put in savings. Put in going out to eat. Otherwise one of those areas is going to get the short end and it would probably be your savings.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Keep going. I think people get in trouble like this. Make as complete a budget as possible. Put in utilities. Put in savings. Put in going out to eat. Otherwise one of those areas is going to get the short end and it would probably be your savings.
Yeah good point. I'm also trying to lease trade my car which is very expensive. That's going to free up a lot of money. It was fun while it lasted but it has to go

Old 03-06-2011, 02:14 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
yeah keep adding it up. I would make the budget very specific

utils will be about 250 a month
savings is how much
retirement is how much
cable package can be $100+ a month or $0 , etc.

how quickly can you save 6 months of living expenses,etc.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM

BTW anyone interested in taking over a lease on a 2010 BMW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey