Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching1698 View Post
You can find good size homes at Piscataway near Arbor School area at your price range. Piscataway has very good school district, its high school team just won #1 on NJ FBLA business competition and represent NJ to compete nationwide at Chicago and step into final and got the plaque back.

For your baby, Piscataway offer FREE full day preschool for kid at 4year old and kindergarten, so it will save you lots of money later.

Many homeowners in Piscataway are foreign born and tend to prefer to buy condo or townhouse, but if you grew up in the US and very handy you will find a home is cheaper in Piscataway than many other town. You would be very happy especially if you love big property such as half acre or one acre, check out School St area, that right next to golf course.

As to AZ, I know many people moved over there from NJ and came back, the only reason is too hot, 100 degrees???
why did you change your login name?

ftr - 100 degree in AZ is like about 80-85 here. YES...it's a dry heat, but depending where you are in AZ, completely tolerable. Have you ever been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 72,750 times
Hi,
I know this is a bit controversial, but I'll suggest you look at the foreclosed properties. There are "too many" all over NJ. I say unfortunately. I'm looking into it myself, since that's all I can afford or rather the only way I can afford to buy any property in NJ. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 AM

191 posts, read 900,881 times
i've been looking at homes in the 250-280k range, in central jersey. But since i have 2 kids, im looking for a 3+bedroom. I know for sure that i've seen several places in the 250k range +/- 10k that were 2 bedroom. they may not be the prettiest of houses, but paint works miracles if you're willing to put in the effort.
As far as schools, i dont think any where in a blue ribbon school district, but the schools were always touted as GOOD or GREAT.
I dont recall the exact towns i searched, but i did look into

perth & south amboy
Roselle & roselle park
Rahway
keanan

one of my stipulations was 1hr commute into NYC. if you dont need that commute, then things can loosen up for you significantly.
In either case, dont be discouraged. When i started looking about 2 months ago, there really were slim pickings. As the exodus from NJ continues, people are becoming extremely desperate to sell their house. Dont be afraid to look into a 270k house (many are out there) and try to talk a seller down a little or perhaps get a cash concession up front.
Of course for 250 you can get a castle in AZ. Im from NYC, so anything with a backyard larger than 15 feet is like a park to me . Everything is relative i suppose.
Good luck!!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B 718 View Post
i've been looking at homes in the 250-280k range, in central jersey. But since i have 2 kids, im looking for a 3+bedroom. I know for sure that i've seen several places in the 250k range +/- 10k that were 2 bedroom. they may not be the prettiest of houses, but paint works miracles if you're willing to put in the effort.
As far as schools, i dont think any where in a blue ribbon school district, but the schools were always touted as GOOD or GREAT.

Roselle & roselle park
I graduated from Roselle in 83, parents moved out 2 years ago. Make sure you research the school. It was pretty rough when I was in there. My son also went about 13 years ago; the elementary school wasn't bad.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 AM

10 posts, read 69,780 times
again ...thank all of u for these great ideas...im always open for more if there are any additional ones that come to mind!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,786,692 times
If it helps anyone, I reside in South Amboy, and have my house on the market, if anyone is interested, PM me and I will give you all my information. Don't want to post it here and get in trouble.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 AM

191 posts, read 900,881 times
Not to hijack the thread, but just curious, what do you classify as rough?
20 years ago was long time and teenagers are a whole different breed then they were back then. i graduated in '87 but im a brooklyn kid. so rough may have a different meaning.
Is there a reason the the school would be considered "rough" when the i've heard the town was nice? was i misinformed or is overflow from surrounding areas.
Currently in brooklyn, my kids face a 25-35:1 student teacher ratio. horrible test scores, non-existant bus service, crappy food, crappier kids, many apathetic teachers, and they come home to an apartment.
Right now my main concern is my 5yr old, but i have teenagers from a previous marraige, and if its decided that they should be with me, i dont want them going from crap to crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I graduated from Roselle in 83, parents moved out 2 years ago. Make sure you research the school. It was pretty rough when I was in there. My son also went about 13 years ago; the elementary school wasn't bad.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:55 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Back then there was a lot of racial fighting; as I said, I don't know how it is now at the high school. The elementary schools were always ok, I lived on the west side which at the time was mostly white. When I got to the middle school, it was a different ball-game (but not so bad) then when my older sister went to middle school. She was at the elementary school I went to, for some reason they redid the schools, instead of going from K-7, it went from K-5. I was jumped once, and had to watch my back for most of high school.

When my parents moved, the town had changed a lot. I never realised how much until I went to the post office and saw bullet proof glass. I've never seen a PO with that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B 718 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but just curious, what do you classify as rough?
20 years ago was long time and teenagers are a whole different breed then they were back then. i graduated in '87 but im a brooklyn kid. so rough may have a different meaning.
Is there a reason the the school would be considered "rough" when the i've heard the town was nice? was i misinformed or is overflow from surrounding areas.
Currently in brooklyn, my kids face a 25-35:1 student teacher ratio. horrible test scores, non-existant bus service, crappy food, crappier kids, many apathetic teachers, and they come home to an apartment.
Right now my main concern is my 5yr old, but i have teenagers from a previous marraige, and if its decided that they should be with me, i dont want them going from crap to crap.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,967 times
Default Moving from NY to NJ

Hi, We are moving with our parents from NY to NJ for good. Looking for a place where we can find good elementary schools. Also, would like to be close to train station. As I work in Jersey City, close to the Path Train. Or may be about 1/2 hour drive to Jersey City. House ranging between 400K - 450K.

Any recommendations...

Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why did you change your login name?
I was thinking the same thing. The answer is, because he got banned on the other name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey