Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
My family and I vacationed for years at the NJ shore beaches. We are lifelong residents of the state and have at one time or another rented in all of the suggested communities. My sister and her family always told my wife and I to try Ocean City MD for a nice vacation. Finally, after some prodding on her part, we weakened and agreed to give Maryland a try, that was 15 years ago. We often stay in homes located on the inner bay canals of Ocean Pines, MD. This is a private gated community located 10 minutes west of Ocean City proper. There is plenty of wildlife, fishing and crabbing right outside of your door. It is very quiet, family friendly place with grocery stores and restaurants etc. within a very short drive of all the normal shore activities for kids and adults in OC proper. The beaches are all free and very clean and uncrowded. If you enjoy a pool for swimming there are several right there in the complex. Yes, complete with lifeguards for you and the kids. Our rental this year is no dive, it is a beautiful house. It is a 3 bedroom 2 bath home, rental amount $1150 a week, the last two weeks of July. In todays economy, with the price of gasoline and everything else being so high; keep your expenses down, forget NJ and really enjoy a quality family vacation in Maryland.
I think you could get on a house on the "inner bay canals" of the Jersey Shore for 1150 a week too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
Hello all,

I have been living in NJ for 24 years, but have not been to the shore since my high school prom (17 years ago). Back then Seaside suited the needs just fine, but now I'm looking for a week vacation with two kids, 3 and 6.

We have been vacationing in New England areas since my wife and I met and now she is saying that we don't take advantage of our own state. She wants to rent something for a week in August somewhere on the shore. I would like to know from those who vacation there if there are any places left that fit our criteria:

1.) Beaches with *SPACE*. Don't want to be on a beach where everyone has to step over each other to get to the water, or once in the water be jammed together like trout.

2.) Quiet - relaxed atmosphere. Would rather drive 30 min. to a boardwalk then to stay on one.

3.) Reasonable rentals - $1200/week or less for a for a house or a condo.

4.) Things to do other than be on a beach. Rainy day activities for kids would also be a plus...

Any input is appreciated... Personally, I would just keep going to the out of state spots we've been going to for years, but it appears that I have been getting my way too long and must now compromise for the greater good
Ocean City NJ

Two amusement ride piers that are perfect for children of your ages.

Many kid friendly restaurants.

Great beaches.

$1200 for the week will get you a decent condo.

Let me know when you go though, so I can stay home. I don't like little kids. I only liked mine.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
This sounds like what I was going to say about the Outer Banks, NC. We used to go to Cape Cod but found OBX to be much more bang for the buck. Now we're spoiled rotten with the great houses, terrific facilities, cute towns, and NO CROWDS that we honestly don't mind the 8-hour drive. It's just part of the annual adventure.
Except Rt 12 on Saturdays or a Hurricane Evac

Old 04-15-2011, 04:41 PM

614 posts, read 1,375,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post

frankgn87 is correct thats pretty much the best, at least IMHO. I was there last summer the beaches are so long there you WILL find a place to lay out and let the kiddies play. The Pier 6600 Hotel in the crest was pretty nice, the rear parking lot is right up against the beach. You will have to drive up to the boardwalk though it is FARR from the hotel. Maybe when it gets really warm out you can maybe go for a weekend to check out some spots. I know with gas going up don't really want to travel for no real reason, but it might help make a descision for a later date.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 AM

77 posts, read 376,235 times
If you have ever heard the expression, "It is a nice place to visit but I would not want to live there." it is true. I lived in the Crest for 4 years, it is not what most people would expect when actually living there.

Anne77, when was the last time you tried to rent a gorgeous house on the water anywhere at the Jersey shore for $1150 a week? You had better keep dreaming if you think you can.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:04 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Ocean City fits all of your needs, and if you and your spouse want to go out, A.C. is just north on the next island. Sea Isle is also another fantastic spot that meets all of your needs, as do Avalon (kinda pricey I"m willing to bet), Stone Harbor, and Brigantine. Honestly, I don't really know the prices, and am only basing it on the houses a and the type of people that I know go there.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 AM

50,761 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Actually OC fits all the needs mentioned EXCEPT the part about being squeezed into a small area in the water. There is plenty of space on the beach of you rent in the south end, but all the guarded beaches are going to make you go in between the green flags only in the ocean, so it does get crowded in that area. Of course I'm a big OC fan, and I think your kids are the perfect ages for OC, but honestly it sounds like you don't want crowds at all but rather space and serenity, and OC might be a little too busy for your taste in that area.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
If you have ever heard the expression, "It is a nice place to visit but I would not want to live there." it is true. I lived in the Crest for 4 years, it is not what most people would expect when actually living there.

Anne77, when was the last time you tried to rent a gorgeous house on the water anywhere at the Jersey shore for $1150 a week? You had better keep dreaming if you think you can.
On an "inner bay canal"? That would be like what, renting a house in Manahawkin? Yes, you can get a rental there for about 1K a week.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM

62 posts, read 163,133 times
Ocean City's a great family town. Our large family (seven cousins aged 2-13) go every year and the kids have a great time. Plenty of room on the beachs from 15th Street up to the 50s.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
This sounds like what I was going to say about the Outer Banks, NC. We used to go to Cape Cod but found OBX to be much more bang for the buck. Now we're spoiled rotten with the great houses, terrific facilities, cute towns, and NO CROWDS that we honestly don't mind the 8-hour drive. It's just part of the annual adventure.
After OBX it's hard to take the Jersey Shore seriously again.

We don't mind the drive down or back home.

Wild horses running beaches in Jersey? Yeah, but they all look like Snookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey