Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 7,362 times

Advertisements

I recently got a careless driving ticket at my campus parking lot and there is a mandatory court appearance. I was 10 over limit and I past a parked cop and there were a few students on the side. To be exact it's a ticket issued by a middletown cop. Will there be a higher fine or suspension? I am not trying to say I am not wrong in any way, I am just trying to have a idea of the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,227 times
The short answer is, it depends on your driving record.

Most tickets (even those with mandatory appearances) tend to be plead down to a lesser charge with a higher fine. The better your driving record, the more lenient the prosecutor tends to be. A suspension is very unlikely unless you have something else on your record that's recent and damning (DUI for example).

However, as this has a mandatory appearance you WILL be suspended (at least temporarily) if you fail to make the court appearance. Depending on the court, missing the appearance will cause either a default suspension (until you go to court to address the original ticket) or a warrant for your arrest (which would require you to post bail which could then be used to pay the ticket when you go to court.)

Also, you generally don't need a lawyer for this type of court appearance. I know there's about a million law firms that send ads the minute you get a ticket in NJ but unless you're dealing with DUI/DWI, an accident where someone died or leaving the scene of an accident - a lawyer really isn't necessary. Typically the deals for routine issues that lawyers get offered also get offered to individuals, the only bonus of having a lawyer is that lawyers get to go before the judge first so you're typically out of court quicker instead of spending hours in the courtroom waiting in what seems like eternal lines. If for some reason you get to court and feel like you DO need a lawyer, you can petition for one at that time and then are given a certain amount of time to obtain counsel.

Last edited by lilyflower7; 04-22-2011 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
The short answer is, it depends on your driving record.

Most tickets (even those with mandatory appearances) tend to be plead down to a lesser charge with a higher fine. The better your driving record, the more lenient the prosecutor tends to be. A suspension is very unlikely unless you have something else on your record that's recent and damning (DUI for example).

However, as this has a mandatory appearance you WILL be suspended (at least temporarily) if you fail to make the court appearance. Depending on the court, missing the appearance will cause either a default suspension (until you go to court to address the original ticket) or a warrant for your arrest (which would require you to post bail which could then be used to pay the ticket when you go to court.)
I got a careless driving a few months ago for getting into a accident, I hit no one, only my car was damaged. So you're saying if I go to court and pay my fines, I would just move on with my life and pay the fee and lose the 2 points.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4d3 View Post
I got a careless driving a few months ago for getting into a accident, I hit no one, only my car was damaged. So you're saying if I go to court and pay my fines, I would just move on with my life and pay the fee and lose the 2 points.
Most likely. You definitely have to show up and you'll probably end up getting some type of points but I doubt much more than that would happen.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Most likely. You definitely have to show up and you'll probably end up getting some type of points but I doubt much more than that would happen.
Alright, I just wanted to set a peace of mind. I was thinking too much.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Alright, I just wanted to set a peace of mind. I was thinking too much.
It typically takes a LOT to get suspended in NJ courts. DUI/DWI will do it, a lot of tickets in a short period of time, some kind of really reckless driving charge, leaving the scene of an accident, really excessive speeding (Going 100mph in a 25 mph for example). A second careless driving citation in a year alone wouldn't do it unless there's some other factors going on (like you were pulled over and assaulted the police officer or they found drugs in the car.)

Most charges generally involve fines (which could go upwards of $500 in some cases depending on what you're fined for and what you agree to plea to), points (usually not more than 3, most of the time you take a plea with a higher fine to avoid getting more than 2 points.), or possibly a surcharge.

Go drive the highways in NJ sometime, there's still a LOT of idiots on the road.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
It typically takes a LOT to get suspended in NJ courts. DUI/DWI will do it, a lot of tickets in a short period of time, some kind of really reckless driving charge, leaving the scene of an accident, really excessive speeding (Going 100mph in a 25 mph for example). A second careless driving citation in a year alone wouldn't do it unless there's some other factors going on (like you were pulled over and assaulted the police officer or they found drugs in the car.)

Most charges generally involve fines (which could go upwards of $500 in some cases depending on what you're fined for and what you agree to plea to), points (usually not more than 3, most of the time you take a plea with a higher fine to avoid getting more than 2 points.), or possibly a surcharge.

Go drive the highways in NJ sometime, there's still a LOT of idiots on the road.
I drive on the highways in NJ all the time. I see idiots everywhere I go, I've pretty much seen everything on the road.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Thank you for taking responsibility for your actions, you're a rare breed on this board.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,526 times
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

As you can see, two points, no suspension. Take a Driver Improvement Course of any kind and get a credit for I believe three points. Virtually any course qualifies. Sign up for a MSF Basic Rider Course, get a MC endorsement on your DL and get the point credit.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

You can even take an online course.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:30 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Quote:
I recently got a careless driving ticket at my campus parking lot and there is a mandatory court appearance. I was 10 over limit and I past a parked cop and there were a few students on the side. To be exact it's a ticket issued by a middletown cop. Will there be a higher fine or suspension? I am not trying to say I am not wrong in any way, I am just trying to have a idea of the consequences.
You can probably bargain down to unsafe driving which is a no point but higher fine offense. You only can do this a certain number of times (I think twice in 5 years, but I'm not sure).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey