Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:50 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If that's the case than the CEO wouldn't have taken the train to Penn Station on the day of the press conference
The CEO of Panhasonic uses a limo to and from work. Drive past any day and they are parked right at the front door. He doesn't even walk to the parking area.

Quote:
will bring approximately $222.8 million to Newark in taxes and one-time construction costs over 11.25 years
Care to prove those BS numbers? They paying more in taxes in Newark than Secaucus? RE tax in secaucus over an 11 year period would be 17 million , plus or minus. What taxes are they paying to come up with this number????

Yes the agency was in operation before Christie. Except he used it to his own means in a manner it was not intended to be used. This sounds like the same song and dance routine the state used when they were trying to convince what a great deal for the state Xanadu was going to be. That worked out well.

Once again Newark has its hands out sucking in funding from the state. In any case, Secaucus will be ahead of the game. Mayor gonelli has told the state to shove it and has the town's backing.
Secaucus refuses to pay Meadowlands tax - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Another big reason is land is very cheap down south and the states have little enviro laws. The foreign companies pay good money for southern state incomes. Homes and cost of living is cheaper for employees. I googled pay and came up with these numbers for non union employees. 25 an hour down south is good money without union dues.

The gap between union and nonunion compensation is big: Total benefits put union workers at $36.34 per hour compared with $25.65 per hour.
just curious where did you find the $36 vs $26 numbers above?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
land is very cheap down south and the states have little enviro laws
The environmental laws are Federal, not state for the most part. Are you saying it's a benefit to create even more super-fund sites that have a large portion of deadly chemicals laced throughout? NJ still has the remnants to toxic waste throughout. Without the Federal government's financing, those areas would be inhabitable.
NPL Site Summaries - Land Cleanup and Wastes | Region 4 | US EPA

One reason the Koch Brothers who have put major money into the upcoming campaign have made the elimination of the EPA and Labor Board a priority. How much cheaper would it be for business to simply dump their waste instead of processing it properly? Quite a lot I would guess.
American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)

Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 AM

332 posts, read 528,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I disagree. 100 million in taxpayer dollars is worth 1,000 jobs? Each job is worth $100,000 in taxpayer money to keep? (provided they would actually deal with the hassle of moving out of state, or to NYC).

NJ got strong armed here. I dont see how anyone could say this is a positive
Exactly. Especially considering the town of Secaucus having sued the state of New Jersey to keep Panasonic there. Don't know who's favor it would rule in but Secaucus is among the best places to live in New Jersey and has a decent amount of major companies who do business there especially in the warehouse field. Panasonic has a warehouse in it's US headquarters at Secaucus, but I'm not blaming them. I'm blaming that tax company, and if so, the NJ goverment in which both coerced them to make the move to Newark and give them the $100 million dollars being it could be illegal and caused the lawsuit. Sounds like a good business decision to move from one of New Jersey's best towns to the most populated city in the state even if it's among the most dangerous. But being that it could be illegal yet have our unhealthy, obese, careless and wanna-be-tough-guy governor defending the decision, I am very much interested to see how far off the cliff the parties involved fall.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Panasonic has a warehouse in it's US headquarters at Secaucus, but I'm not blaming them
That warehouse hasn't been used in many years. Only the offices are active.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
Exactly. Especially considering the town of Secaucus having sued the state of New Jersey to keep Panasonic there. Don't know who's favor it would rule in but Secaucus is among the best places to live in New Jersey and has a decent amount of major companies who do business there especially in the warehouse field. Panasonic has a warehouse in it's US headquarters at Secaucus, but I'm not blaming them. I'm blaming that tax company, and if so, the NJ goverment in which both coerced them to make the move to Newark and give them the $100 million dollars being it could be illegal and caused the lawsuit. Sounds like a good business decision to move from one of New Jersey's best towns to the most populated city in the state even if it's among the most dangerous..
Secaucus is so great Goya is also moving it's headquarters from there, and I'm sure more are to follow. Bottom line is that area is isolated and too cumbersome/inconvenient for business in 2011 unless you live nearby. Makes more since for these corps to relocate next to transit hubs; it's happening across America.

And what does being a dangerous city have to do with it? Not like it's relocated to the projects or anything. Detroit's among the most dangerous in America yet corps are relocating there from the burbs. Same with Cleveland, Baltimore, etc.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM

332 posts, read 528,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Secaucus is so great Goya is also moving it's headquarters from there, and I'm sure more are to follow. Bottom line is that area is isolated and too cumbersome/inconvenient for business in 2011 unless you live nearby. Makes more since for these corps to relocate next to transit hubs; it's happening across America.

And what does being a dangerous city have to do with it? Not like it's relocated to the projects or anything. Detroit's among the most dangerous in America yet corps are relocating there from the burbs. Same with Cleveland, Baltimore, etc.
I see nothing wrong with Panasonic's move to Newark. I said that only because it's a preference. I was more worried about the other legal controversy regarding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey