Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 PM

188 posts, read 414,513 times

Advertisements

More people are probably moving away because of taxes. In my area more houses started going up for sale once the economy started going down. A lot of people were working on Wall Street and are now out of jobs. The schools, while some are decent, are starting to slip in the rankings from where they were 5 years ago. The school in my town was 69th in the state (top 5 in the county) and now it is around 100th in the state.

I believe the commute is getting to people. I have heard some say they have spent more to take the ferry to cut down on time, but not everyone has the money for that. People are expected to work longer hours and now want more time for themselves. Yet developers keep on knocking down single homes on decent size lots and squeezing two houses in the same space. If people are paying these types of prices, most move to the suburbs for a little privacy. Although I have noticed the entry level housing <$300,000 sell very quickly, it is the higher priced housing that is sitting on the market (unless the house has unique qualities). And in this area there is a lack of the entry level housing range (unless they are real fixer uppers).

Three articles from my area:

A lot of houses from Deal and the surrounding area went up for sale after the Dwek case: Many in Deal, N.J., Feel Betrayed by Solomon Dwek - NYTimes.com

Loch Arbour Taxes:
Loch Arbour : Tiny town's tax bills to double under Corzine's 'reform' | NJ.com

Asbury Park pay to park:
Asbury Park says new pay stations will fix problems | The Asbury Park Press | APP.com

I know personally, I have been going to Asbury Park beaches for the past 5-7 years and have liked seeing the crowds growing each year. I will not be going this year. They are going after the tourists and giving a slap to the face to the local, year round residents. Plus the prices they are expecting for housing are not realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:02 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Erm , well the MOM network trumps anything needed for Buses , and will cause the current bus system to see more usage. But this network needs to be up by the end of the decade along with several others or else those regions will start to crack under the growing population. But the Demand for Buses isn't really at North Jersey levels and forcing ppl by giving them the bus only option isn't fair.
You misread my post I wasn't trying to make a bus only option that's not what I want the MOM will be very good for the area I really am trying to set the bus network in a grid format that feeds off of rail and complements other regional buses. I am well aware the demand for buses doesnt warrent 30 min service outside the rte 35 and 9 corridors which already have frequent bus service. However what I meant was the local buses can be restructured in a different form it's not about blindly adding buses. But more so reshaping the routes into forms that match the travel patterns of those ppl. While preparing folk to get accustomed to transit and forcing demand for rail service to increase. You are right the MOM will cause more bus usage. I am not saying buses are more important than trains at all. I just saying that flexibility needs to be accounted for along with a revised fare structure of cross honoring on academy and NJT trains and buses. Heck it may force a few to remain unchanged. But the NJT plan I created reshapes the network in a linear format but the routes are converged with northen lines (partially) over the GSP to create regional routes made to cater to those whose origin and destination can't be matched by the rail network.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Personally, as someone who lives year round in one of these towns, I welcome it. Years ago our town had a distinct tourist area and a distinct townie area where people lived year round and some people came for a week or two each summer. It worked out fine. Then about 15 years ago, the tourists started moving to the town year round. Our year round population went up some 25% and the there was no longer a distinct beach vs town area. Traffic, congestion, littering, etc all went up at the same time. Hopefully things will rebound enough that things can go back to the point where everyone can enjoy the town in the summer.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
A few years ago someone wrote a letter to the editor to the Philadelphia Inquirer showing that a week trip to Hawaii could be the same price as a week trip to the Jersey Shore. I think he stretched things a bit, but not that much.
I believe it! Hawaii might be stretching it, but I'm sure there are other islands closer that would be close to the same price.

We're starting to look into places to the north for family vacations. There are a lot of great family resorts that have so much more to offer for much less $ than the Jersey Shore (planned activities for the kids, pools and lake access, etc). I'm kind of getting sick of the whole boardwalk/Fantasy Island rip-off, it's just a total money drain.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
A few years ago someone wrote a letter to the editor to the Philadelphia Inquirer showing that a week trip to Hawaii could be the same price as a week trip to the Jersey Shore. I think he stretched things a bit, but not that much.
Funny you should say that because we started going to HI in 1996 instead of the shore. We buy tickets and upgrade with points. Stay in a condo, with washer, dryers so didn't have much to pack (usually 7 night free). Weather is always nice, beaches clean and free, and eat breakfast and lunch at the condo and go out for dinner. Hotels can be expensive, but there are a lot of deals around, especially now, as HI depends on tourism for it's livelihood. Condos are reasonable and comfortable. Best part is no GSP!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I believe it! Hawaii might be stretching it, but I'm sure there are other islands closer that would be close to the same price.

We're starting to look into places to the north for family vacations. There are a lot of great family resorts that have so much more to offer for much less $ than the Jersey Shore (planned activities for the kids, pools and lake access, etc). I'm kind of getting sick of the whole boardwalk/Fantasy Island rip-off, it's just a total money drain.
Daughter and family just returned from FL. They raved about Discovery Cove, Orlando. Tickets were pricey, but they included everything from suntan lotion to all day food and entry to SeaWorld and I think Busch Gardens. They said it was immaculate and the food wasn't junk, really good food, bathrooms were immaculate. They only allow 1000 people a day in.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:

There is a ranch in Lake George, NY, I believe it is called Roaring Brook. I've heard it is very family oriented.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:49 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
There is a ranch in Lake George, NY, I believe it is called Roaring Brook. I've heard it is very family oriented.
Yes, there are a whole bunch of those!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Makes perfect sense to me. All the rich people are buying up the houses, but they don't want to live there all year long.

I'm kinda getting to the point where I'm done with the Jersey shore for vacation even. We're going this year again (we rent for two weeks), the rent is ok, but overall it ends up being too expensive for what you get. Lots of other places to go.
we rent a place down in Bethany Beach, DE every year. get more for your money there and the drive isn't bad.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM

273 posts, read 957,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Funny you should say that because we started going to HI in 1996 instead of the shore. We buy tickets and upgrade with points. Stay in a condo, with washer, dryers so didn't have much to pack (usually 7 night free). Weather is always nice, beaches clean and free, and eat breakfast and lunch at the condo and go out for dinner. Hotels can be expensive, but there are a lot of deals around, especially now, as HI depends on tourism for it's livelihood. Condos are reasonable and comfortable. Best part is no GSP!
NOT to compare HI to NJ but, to be fair, we sometimes stay at a rented condo in NJ and everything you say is also true there. Badges are included with rental and there is a nice pool area. It is a couple hours drive, especially when you plan to avoid peak traffic. A lot of people from PA show up. It seems pretty busy but not too much with the exception of a few peak weeks. We opt to avoid these most of the time.

Comparing the travel hassle of going to HI or even FL to a couple hours on the GSP or AC expressway is a stretch, especially a few times a year.

Yes, some days the weather is iffy but the 'rained all week' isn't that frequent. It happens. Last summer was great. In fact, we prefer some respite from constant hot and sunny days during our vacation.

Just a different view of things about vacation value. Nevertheless, one thing that has changed dramatically in recent years are the many options for vacationing. This is nice.

The Shore still has a place for many summer vacations ranging from day trips to weeks or even months, depending on one's lifestyle. It is also a place where 'weekend homes' are very popular. These trends don't result in more residents but do result in rentals, part time residents, and sometime empty houses. The properties in most towns are still nice and also pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey