Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,600 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum and hope you can help. I've lived in Hoboken for the past 18 years, and since rents for any place decent have gone through the roof (pun intended), I think it might be time for me to buy a place. Of course, Hoboken is out of the question for me, so I am thinking about Jersey City. While I've heard there are some good parts (Downtown), I also know that there are still many undesirable areas of JC. The issue is that I have seen listings for some great renovated apartments at a fraction of what you would pay in Hoboken, so I'm really tempted, but I want to make sure wherever I end up is safe for a woman.

What areas besides Downtown are relatively safe, and are there any areas right now that are good to get into on the ground floor because the neighborhood is turning?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:55 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryp731 View Post
I'm new to this forum and hope you can help. I've lived in Hoboken for the past 18 years, and since rents for any place decent have gone through the roof (pun intended), I think it might be time for me to buy a place. Of course, Hoboken is out of the question for me, so I am thinking about Jersey City. While I've heard there are some good parts (Downtown), I also know that there are still many undesirable areas of JC. The issue is that I have seen listings for some great renovated apartments at a fraction of what you would pay in Hoboken, so I'm really tempted, but I want to make sure wherever I end up is safe for a woman.

What areas besides Downtown are relatively safe, and are there any areas right now that are good to get into on the ground floor because the neighborhood is turning?

Thank you in advance for your help.
The price of JC downtown is equal or greater than hoboken now, only advantage is lower property tax (many are tax abated) and nicer/newer highrise constructions.

If you want cheaper in jc, there are two options

1) Look around the immediate area (1-2 blocks) of JSQ PATH and north (<5 blocks), area is still a far cry from hoboken or downtown, but the prices are a lot cheaper and generally ok safety

2) Move into a gated community like port liberte, it's very nice inside but you cant walk out the gate (very bad area outside). Basically zoo-style living.

good luck

Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 PM

Thanks, gagliya! Not sure I want to live in a "zoo." I've had to go to the Journal Square area to renew my license and serve jury duty, and I felt it was a bit sketchy.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
You can look in the Jersey City Heights or Bayonne , for cheaper nice apartments. I don't understand how one lives in Hoboken for 18 years , but no nothing about the surrounding areas?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 PM

Because Hoboken is the 6th burrough of NYC and we have no reason to go elsewhere. Just kidding! Because Hoboken really does have everything I need, and with easy access to NYC, there really was never any reason to venture out of the 'boken. In the past 20 years, the city grew from a waterfront town of abandoned warehouses to a very lively city with great parks and restaurants, and I've never felt safer living anywhere else (even when I lived in Forest Hills, Queens). Unfortunately, with the growth came an unbelievable rise in the cost of housing, and the younger people who are moving in seem to treat the town like a college campus.

I did visit Bayonne recently, and while there are some lovely apartments, the town itself is very much stuck in the 50s and is in desperate need of urban renewal. That's why I figured I'd look next at JC.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Because Hoboken is the 6th burrough of NYC and we have no reason to go elsewhere. Just kidding! Because Hoboken really does have everything I need, and with easy access to NYC, there really was never any reason to venture out of the 'boken. In the past 20 years, the city grew from a waterfront town of abandoned warehouses to a very lively city with great parks and restaurants, and I've never felt safer living anywhere else (even when I lived in Forest Hills, Queens). Unfortunately, with the growth came an unbelievable rise in the cost of housing, and the younger people who are moving in seem to treat the town like a college campus.

I did visit Bayonne recently, and while there are some lovely apartments, the town itself is very much stuck in the 50s and is in desperate need of urban renewal. That's why I figured I'd look next at JC.
Only 2 places in the NJ Gold Coast you shouldn't look are the Bergen - Layette & Greenville Neighborhoods of Jersey City. The Rest of the NJ Gold Coast / Jersey City is safe , but some areas are noisy and polluted.... But i'm really surprised that people don't get out and explore there neighboring cities... Walk along congress street in Jersey City Heights , you access the Heights through the 9th / Congress Hudson Bergen light Rail station.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,055 times
Quote:
Thanks, gagliya! Not sure I want to live in a "zoo." I've had to go to the Journal Square area to renew my license and serve jury duty, and I felt it was a bit sketchy.
well if you think Jsq path area is sketchy then forget about rest of jc. it sounds like Newport or exchange place in downtown jc is really what you want. 1br between 300-400k and 2br 500k+

I used to live in forest hills too, it's a nice area with tons of options for food nearby, why not get out of nj and move back? Hoboken sucks with all those frat boys puking everywhere. it's bad enough to deal with them on the weekend path train can't imagine living there. not to mention the insane property tax and parking situation.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Downtown Jersey City (an area about the same size as Hoboken) is a great place, but equally as expensive as Hoboken, for the MOST part. Since I'll assume you are over the age of 30, Downtown JC might be more of your scene as there are almost no kids that "treat the area like a college campus". I understand your frustration...Hoboken is quite nice aesthetically and in terms of walkability, but about 50% of its residents are just ... too much. And the weekend bar crowd, with all of the 23 year olds from the suburbs, is out of control (and I was one of those 23 year olds!)

The lowdown on the rest of Jersey City outside of Downtown is that it's just not very desirable. With a few exceptions, most of the rest of the city has unattractive architecture, big litter problems, and moderate to high crime rates. Not to mention that in most other areas of town, there's just nothing to do/nowhere to walk to.

The standard answer here is to look at Jersey City Heights, just up the hill from Hoboken. My input is that while JC Heights has some pretty nice and safe pockets, there is just not a ton to DO, and transportation to Manhattan is decent but not as convenient as having the PATH (downtown JC has 3 stations) running 24/7.

What's your budget?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times
Some streets of Jersey City heights are quiet, have nice big houses like Liberty Ave, or Grace St, and very very cheap compared to Hoboken.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM

303 posts, read 752,668 times
THE HEIGHTS SECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is a good area for you, just up the viaduct from HBK. IT is relativly safe and more affordable to live than downtown. Just if you move up here please do not call it the "jersey city heights"....smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey