Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Are realtor fees too high in NJ?

We were considering possibly trying to sell to "move up" for a few reasons. We can stay where we are, but it was just a thought.

Anyway, after we did the math, it didn't make sense. One thing that really discouraged us was the realtor listing fee.

If you're selling a house for, let's say, $800,000, why should a realtor in NJ get 5-6% of that when the same house in a cheaper state would be $400,000?

We came to the conclusion that the "move up" market is dead in NJ.
Years ago, I thought the 6% fee was fair compared to the selling prices of houses. I don't now. The home values have gone down so much, but I don't hear any realtors lowering their listing fees to help. I really think some people would sell their homes through a real estate office, if the listing fee was lowered.

Sellers should negotiate a lower listing price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Years ago, I thought the 6% fee was fair compared to the selling prices of houses. I don't now. The home values have gone down so much, but I don't hear any realtors lowering their listing fees to help. I really think some people would sell their homes through a real estate office, if the listing fee was lowered.

I guess you could try to negotiate a lower fee. It is interesting though that there hasn't been a lot of downward pressure on listing fees considering the market.

I guess the brokers aren't motivated to lower the fee. It just means they have less agents working for them now (I assume?)

Old 05-25-2011, 02:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Ok, I can see that.

Still, take the 800K house example versus another house, 200K, both in NJ.

How is it worth $40,000 in just realtor fees to sell? What are you getting for that? At $100 an hour, that's 400 hours of work.

Is it really four times as much work than to sell a 200K house? I don't think so.
I understand what you are saying. Honestly I don't know how much more effort or cost is involved in selling houses at different price points.

From hanging out on the real estate forum I know some agents will use a tiered system. I'm making numbers up but something like this:

First 400K - 6%
Next 200K - 3%
Next 200K - 2%

Something along those lines. So that in the end the total % ends up being less than 6%.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my wife watches that selling manhattan show and sometimes i see some of the shows with her. it seems that when you have very expensive homes to sell, you get realtors that wear fancy suits and throw cocktail parties in the homes they are trying to sell. its much more fancy and civilized.

i was thinking 10 years in my current home but maybe ill stick it out here until im retired. i like it here.
Thinking about coughing up that much cash to a realtor made me like my current house a lot more.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post

The lower sales prices by default lower the commission the realtors make.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,517 times
Quote:
Are realtor fees too high in NJ?

We were considering possibly trying to sell to "move up" for a few reasons. We can stay where we are, but it was just a thought.

Anyway, after we did the math, it didn't make sense. One thing that really discouraged us was the realtor listing fee.

If you're selling a house for, let's say, $800,000, why should a realtor in NJ get 5-6% of that when the same house in a cheaper state would be $400,000?

We came to the conclusion that the "move up" market is dead in NJ.
Six percent is standard in most states. I paid 6% on sales in two US states.

You can try negotiating a lower commission, using an Assist-to-Sell type service, or just hiring someone to write the sales contract while you sell it yourself.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The lower sales prices by default lower the commission the realtors make.
True, but I'm not talking about five years ago. I'm talking about 20 or more years when the homes were a lot cheaper. I know of someone that paid $55K and the sellers paid 6% to the selling agent. That same house was "lowered" in value today to $275K and if listed with a realtor, the listing fee would still be 6% (unless negotiated). 6% is too high.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Thinking about coughing up that much cash to a realtor made me like my current house a lot more.
yeah, my apartment i sold to move to nj was real cheap so i didnt give it much thought. i think the fee was 4%. it will probably become more of a factor when i sell my current house. but i really like it here and i dont want a very big house. the only improvement id want would be a large private yard. i guess it also depends on how you did on the house and whats your next step. one lady who owned a house i made an offer on wanted to move to manhattan from there. she had this amount of money determined that she needed for a place in manhattan, and used that as a reason why should couldnt move down on her price. as if im going to pay her more based on her need for the additional money.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, my apartment i sold to move to nj was real cheap so i didnt give it much thought. i think the fee was 4%. it will probably become more of a factor when i sell my current house. but i really like it here and i dont want a very big house. the only improvement id want would be a large private yard. i guess it also depends on how you did on the house and whats your next step. one lady who owned a house i made an offer on wanted to move to manhattan from there. she had this amount of money determined that she needed for a place in manhattan, and used that as a reason why should couldnt move down on her price. as if im going to pay her more based on her need for the additional money.
That's what we want, a better yard/lot. I think we could sell our current house for what we bought it for, but it's the realtor fee that is killing the plan.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 PM

So what do the people who thing the rate is too high think it should be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey