Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Anything in plain view of the public is tough. My neighbors in Hawthorne had one up and the town made them take it down( they didn't hit them with a fine though). You can take a lot more liberties with work inside your house than outside. I'm not advocating not getting permits for work, I'm just saying that it's easier to skirt the system with things not outside( like decks, roofs, siding, pools, fences and driveways) since town inspectors drive around regularly looking for this stuff.
If I lived out in one of the more rural areas in the Township, I probably wouldn't care about the rules and would just feign ignorance. I don't think they would be out to check either. Unfortunately I live in the middle of everything and also have a HOA to worry about (though they just say to follow Township guidelines). At the end of the day though, I do recognize that these pools are in fact just as dangerous as a regular permanent pool. It makes sense that they need to follow the same guidelines. You can drown in one of these just as easily as any other pool and should be required to take basic safety precautions.

I also agree with you 100% on being able to take a little more liberty when it comes to the interior. I have done projects that were things I maybe, probably should have gotten a permit for, but I didn't feel like going through the hassle. They aren't the kind of major projects that would make people ask to see permits down the line, but they were things that technically should have had a permit pulled.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM

248 posts, read 674,212 times
Do you plan on leaving it up for a few years? If so, then might as well get the permit and do it the right away. If it will be just for the summer months and then it will get locked away in the basement then just take a leap of faith and do it without making a big deal about it.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,747 times
your neighbor should learn to mind his own business

Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,984 times
As an ex homeowner who just sent through a stress inducing ordeal with our township selling our home, I wouldn't risk putting up any type of structure, especially something like a pool, without permits. Our township is particularly difficult to deal with and I see them driving through our neighborhood constantly. A few homeowners have been "caught" doing things without permits and it wasn't a pretty picture. It isn't worth it IMO.

In spite of following all the rules, our township managed to screw us over on our CO to sell our house and I'm quite bitter about it all. Very happy to be gone.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:38 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
It's NJ, you need a permit for everything.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,315 times
Default pool

Hi i want to know if i neef a permit for 10x30in pool

Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenitza150 View Post
Hi i want to know if i neef a permit for 10x30in pool
Hi, you should ask your local town, they'll be the only ones who know.

Seriously, they have phones and pick them up and everything. It's great.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,781 times
I would not want to be on the defendant end of a lawsuit due to a child's accidental drowning or electrocution arising out of a pool that was never permitted or fencing that was never installed as required.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
I live in the middle of nowhere, back country roads. (Maybe 10 cars pass my house daily, usually tractors) I have a 48"x16ft pool, I had for 7yrs now. Last week in the mail I had a code violation notice.
I think if your gonna sell pools, it should come with all required materials.and information at the store about pool permits in every state.
I live in Del.you can't buy alcohol in stores only at the liquor stores, so why would they sell pools when you need a permit. I had no idea you needed a pool permit. Before I moved here, I had a pool with no permit ,and it was next to a daycare center and nothing. I live in the middle of nowhere and now I need one.Lol go figure. Counties got to get their money somehow. Ugh.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
I think people shouldn't dredge up posts from two years ago in another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey