Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times

Advertisements

I just ordered a mattress and box spring online to be delivered next week. According to the manager of the furniture store I ordered from, gratuity is generally not anticipated. All the labor is built in to the shipping fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I tip everyone who comes to my house and delivers stuff or does work. Plumbers and electricians get $20 (basically enough to buy a nice lunch at a diner). Delivery guys get $20 if it's one guy, or $20 plus $10/guy if it's more. The garbage head of the crew and the postman get $100 each. Landscaping crews that spend 4 hours or more get $50. $25 for 4 hours or less.

At restaurants I always tip 20% minimum, 30% if the service is outstanding (I was a waiter, I know how bad the job sucks).

Hotel staff get $10/day for cleaning my room.
A little excessive in my opinion, but hey if you've got the money...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM

516 posts, read 1,617,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I tip everyone who comes to my house and delivers stuff or does work. Plumbers and electricians get $20 (basically enough to buy a nice lunch at a diner). Delivery guys get $20 if it's one guy, or $20 plus $10/guy if it's more. The garbage head of the crew and the postman get $100 each. Landscaping crews that spend 4 hours or more get $50. $25 for 4 hours or less.

At restaurants I always tip 20% minimum, 30% if the service is outstanding (I was a waiter, I know how bad the job sucks).

Hotel staff get $10/day for cleaning my room.
Money bags Marc. You are quite generous.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Not at all, I just appreciate guys who work their butts off and do a good job. You take care of the pros who come to your house, they remember it and will take care of you.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I just ordered a mattress and box spring online to be delivered next week. According to the manager of the furniture store I ordered from, gratuity is generally not anticipated. All the labor is built in to the shipping fee.

Many years ago, when I drove a limo, the limo company would say something similar if customers asked about tipping.
Why? Because the company wanted to present a picture of the lowest-possible price to a potential customer.

On the other hand, if the same question had been broached to the drivers, a totally different answer would have been given, simply because the hourly pay rate was paltry.

Like Marc, I tend to be as generous as I can afford to be when tipping--as long as the service provider is conscientious and careful with the way that he goes about his work.
There are many workers out there who depend on tips in order to take home a decent rate of pay, and the employer is not necessarily the most reliable source of information on this topic.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 AM

127 posts, read 262,036 times
I would say give each guy a spool of thread and a few buttons and tell them "I am SEW happy with the service"

Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I usually give $10 each, more if they have a particularly hard time (I have 2 1/2 flights of steps up to my place, then a very sharp turn leading to my narrow doorway - when they delivered my ridiculously heavy Temperpedic, the heavy wind made it into a sail and they almost blew over the railing on the outside steps) or of they have to put whatever it is together once they get here (like my futon). I think this somewhat depends on whether we have had tip jobs ourselves - I used to deliver pizza and depended on tips, so I always tip.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 AM

167 posts, read 310,933 times
Average mailman makes $60,000 a furniture mover who breaks his back makes $10 an hour. Use to be tipping was common for service people coming to your house to do work not any more. Many of those doing that kind of work have had their salaries stagnate over the years while the owners of those businesses salaries have skyrocketd.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Many years ago, when I drove a limo, the limo company would say something similar if customers asked about tipping.
Why? Because the company wanted to present a picture of the lowest-possible price to a potential customer.

On the other hand, if the same question had been broached to the drivers, a totally different answer would have been given, simply because the hourly pay rate was paltry.

Like Marc, I tend to be as generous as I can afford to be when tipping--as long as the service provider is conscientious and careful with the way that he goes about his work.
There are many workers out there who depend on tips in order to take home a decent rate of pay, and the employer is not necessarily the most reliable source of information on this topic.

I really don't see why furniture delivery should be tipped, unless of course the delivery is 1) extraordinarily complicated, 2) they help remove your old furniture, or 3) they assist with assembly. The 80 dollar delivery fee is more than appropriate IMO. I believe the more generous tippers are raising the bar of expectations across the board to the point where tipping is now expected in places/situations where tipping was never expected before, and in much higher amounts.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
As far as I'm aware, tipping has always been expected for furniture delivery, it's not something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey