Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM

29 posts, read 120,279 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

As someone new to NJ, I would greatly appreciate advice RE: best routes to drive from Westfield downtown (home) to Princeton University (office). If necessary, I can avoid the worst of rush hour traffic (8-9am and 4:30-6:30pm).

Google maps suggests three routes:
1) US-1 S (33.5 miles, 52 mins)
2) US-22 W and US-206 S (35 miles 53 mins)
3) NJ-27 S/Lincoln Hwy and US-1 S (32.7 miles 55 mins)

Can anyone discuss pros and cons, overall, and at different times of the day?

Personally, I tend to prefer commutes that, even if longer in terms of distance, have more fluid traffic (and as few lights as possible). As you can imagine, then, I am no fan of US-1.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by univ0681 View Post
Dear all,

As someone new to NJ, I would greatly appreciate advice RE: best routes to drive from Westfield downtown (home) to Princeton University (office). If necessary, I can avoid the worst of rush hour traffic (8-9am and 4:30-6:30pm).

Google maps suggests three routes:
1) US-1 S (33.5 miles, 52 mins)
2) US-22 W and US-206 S (35 miles 53 mins)
3) NJ-27 S/Lincoln Hwy and US-1 S (32.7 miles 55 mins)

Can anyone discuss pros and cons, overall, and at different times of the day?

Personally, I tend to prefer commutes that, even if longer in terms of distance, have more fluid traffic (and as few lights as possible). As you can imagine, then, I am no fan of US-1.

Thanks so much.
I would do the rt22 to 206 commute as you will be traveling against traffic most of the time. A couple of times around the Somerville circle and you will have it figured out.

You can take river rd through Manville which parallels rt 206 for most of the way. It won't save any time but there are less traffic lights plus it is a change of scenery.

Getting to Rt 1 and Rt 27 from Westfield is a PITA

Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM

71 posts, read 343,922 times
If I were you, I would take Central Ave to GSP, take the GSP south followed by turnpike south, exit at 8A and then go onto Rt.1. You'll be going against the traffic on both GSP and Turnpike, and that will make your commute much more predictable in terms of time spent.
This will be approx 1 hr commute.
If you plan to return after 6:30 pm, then you should take Rt1 N on your way back. You can make it in 45-50 mins.

Driving for 35 miles on Rt1, Rt 27 or Rt 206 is something that'll take its toll, both on you and on your car.

Why don't you give all 4 options a try (maybe for 3-4 days each) and then make you decision. Don't forget to update this thread once you have nailed down your route.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
Along the lines of River Rd through Manville, I'd suggest taking 22 to 287 to Weston Canal Rd which goes past Zarephath. then there is a series of roads on both sides of the Millstone River and D&R Canal that take you down towards Princeton. Very few lights and almost no traffic.

Rt 1 also has much less lights than it used to as they have been trying to eliminate most lights since NJ did not build I-95 so it is a consolation prize.

I commuted to Princeton from Morris County years ago and always took the back way since it was direct and very predictable. The one exception is after heavy rains some of the bridges across the canal and river go underwater in places such as Griggstown, meaning you can't cross but you can stay on whatever side you're already on.

One side of the road lets out at the Orchard, River light on 206 N of P'ton while the other side leads towards Kingston.

Sort of like this:

Westfield, NJ to Princeton, NJ - Google Maps

It's also a fairly relaxing drive. I would try all diff ways but this is one of your alternates.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 PM

Another alternative, mostly a change down by the bottom, Rocky Hill into Kingston and YeOlde Lincoln Highway (27) into P'ton, avoids 206 altogether.

Another variation, lopping off a few miles by jumping off 22 earlier, this one stays on the E side of the canal & river, but you can cross over to the W side also if desired.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 PM

One more alternative, keeps you off most of the highways. Actually about the shortest of the choices mileage wise. Most of these route choices are all about the same with only about 10 to 15 minutes difference between back roads and highways. You'll have to develop a sense for how much backroading is practical.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM

29 posts, read 120,279 times
Now, having made the commute from Westfield to Princeton for over 7 months, this is what I chose to do... I take GPS and then Turnpike all the way to Cranbury area, then Dey Road, then just a teeny tiny bit of of Rt 1. This route is considerably longer in terms of miles, but very predictable traffic wise. (Alternatively, if traveling at times with little to no traffic, I do GPS then Turnpike to New Brunswick then Rt 1).

Thanks many for all the advice given here.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by univ0681 View Post
Now, having made the commute from Westfield to Princeton for over 7 months, this is what I chose to do... I take GPS and then Turnpike all the way to Cranbury area, then Dey Road, then just a teeny tiny bit of of Rt 1. This route is considerably longer in terms of miles, but very predictable traffic wise. (Alternatively, if traveling at times with little to no traffic, I do GPS then Turnpike to New Brunswick then Rt 1).

Thanks many for all the advice given here.
Hmm. I reserve the Yank De Crank (NJ TurnPike) for outastate fuuriners, so they can pay some of our taxes. Real NJ people supposed to use the real NJ roads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey