Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM

791 posts, read 1,435,288 times

Advertisements

There was an article in the paper about it a few weeks ago - I'd be very interested to hear some first hand observations of the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,375,306 times
I believe this is by Garfield Ave? Thank god I used to live on Sherman place..Hopefully I lived further enough away to not get cancer. Just another negative thing about JC.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 PM

19,154 posts, read 25,390,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
There was an article in the paper about it a few weeks ago - I'd be very interested to hear some first hand observations of the site.

Which site?
There was more than one place where chromium was dumped.

While the most notorious site was where the old Roosevelt Drive-In Movie Theater was located, the adjacent Pathmark/K-Mart site was also used for chromium dumping, as were smaller plots of land in other parts of JC. I wouldn't be surprised if many other lots along Rt. 440 were also used for this dumping.

The companies that refined chromium in Jersey City actually "distributed" it all over that city and even in some adjacent cities. I recall digging in the backyard of my parents' new home in Bayonne in 1967, and coming upon a bright yellow mass of material that had apparently been part of the fill used by the contractor. The bright yellow material was surely chromium, but none of us knew at the time that this was very hazardous stuff.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,628,687 times
Wow, I just came on here to browse and I saw the name hexavalent chromium. I was an environmental chemist for a few years before becoming a chemistry teacher, I have some background on this compound. Sorry to hear that this is a threat in your area. God bless you.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Which site?
The main site was a place where they brought the chrome ore in, alkalized it, aerated it, leached out most of the resulting sodium dichromate, then dumped the tailings.

There are also former chrome plating shops...plenty of contamination there, but orders of magnitude smaller.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,726,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Which site?

While the most notorious site was where the old Roosevelt Drive-In Movie Theater was located, the adjacent Pathmark/K-Mart site was also used for chromium dumping, as were smaller plots of land in other parts of JC. I wouldn't be surprised if many other lots along Rt. 440 were also used for this dumping.

The companies that refined chromium in Jersey City actually "distributed" it all over that city and even in some adjacent cities. I recall digging in the backyard of my parents' new home in Bayonne in 1967, and coming upon a bright yellow mass of material that had apparently been part of the fill used by the contractor. The bright yellow material was surely chromium, but none of us knew at the time that this was very hazardous stuff.
may i ask where this was in Bayonne? you, i'm guessing, grew up in one of the 60's era 2 family homes, garage at basement level, that you see in abundance on the north side of west 7th street for instance.

ok, wait, in rereading your post, it looks the contractor used the material as opposed to it being there prior to groundbreaking. my bad. still interested in the location though!

thanks!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM

19,154 posts, read 25,390,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
may i ask where this was in Bayonne? you, i'm guessing, grew up in one of the 60's era 2 family homes, garage at basement level, that you see in abundance on the north side of west 7th street for instance.

ok, wait, in rereading your post, it looks the contractor used the material as opposed to it being there prior to groundbreaking. my bad. still interested in the location though!

thanks!
It was on West 58th Street.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM

Default I went there

Yes, to Jersey City. What an ugly mess. You can see it right from the light rail station.

I wrote to some people I tracked down on the web regarding it. No reply.

It is all mixed up with a mish mash of Soprano State political nonsense that allowed PPG to avoid cleaning up the obvious mess they made.

How much money do some people need? that they can let people die of cancer?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:42 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,642,983 times
Default Yes, to Jersey City. What an ugly mess. You can see it right from the light rail station

I used to have a map issued from the city of JC that listed all the chromium sites in JC. 2 quick bits, I had the security contract on guarding the old Great Eastern site on Rt. 440 that is known as the worst or one of the worst chromium dump sites in the USA. It goes from Rt.440 to the Hackensack River or the start of Newark Bay. You could see the green chromium actually leaking from the sitelooking like a stream directly into the river. This was going on for decades. The cleanup lasted for about 5 years. Another story, in the basement of the lod Coleman sporting goods store on a call and u could see the green chromium actually dripping, leaking out of most of the cinderblocks onto the floor. Many, many city lots were filled with chromium fill and the people r still unaware of it. Besides a dump in the country of Ukraine the next largest dump site was our beautiful city of JC.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,726,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I used to have a map issued from the city of JC that listed all the chromium sites in JC. 2 quick bits, I had the security contract on guarding the old Great Eastern site on Rt. 440 that is known as the worst or one of the worst chromium dump sites in the USA. It goes from Rt.440 to the Hackensack River or the start of Newark Bay. You could see the green chromium actually leaking from the sitelooking like a stream directly into the river. This was going on for decades. The cleanup lasted for about 5 years. Another story, in the basement of the lod Coleman sporting goods store on a call and u could see the green chromium actually dripping, leaking out of most of the cinderblocks onto the floor. Many, many city lots were filled with chromium fill and the people r still unaware of it. Besides a dump in the country of Ukraine the next largest dump site was our beautiful city of JC.
was there green chromium in my pu pu platter at Paradise East?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey