Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 PM

10 posts, read 10,370 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from LA to NJ and We are planning to lease a house at Basking Ridge, Bernards township. We loved the place very much and also are pretty impressed with the schooling system. We prefer to send our two children to one of the schools.
My work place is at Newark, NJ and I have to travel from Basking Ridge to Newark, NJ on a daily basis during peak hours. I dont have any idea regarding the peak hour traffic on I 78 E. My work timings or from 8 AM to 4 PM. Can some one please suggest me as how long it might take for me to commute as I will be travelling to and from during peak hours.
Depending on your suggestions, I will think either to reside at Basking Ridge or move little closer to Newark (Millburn, Livingston)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 04:30 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,902 times
Give yourself at least 30 minutes, and that is if you're close to the exit.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:26 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Why not just take the train? Basking Ridge has a station with a line going into downtown newark. Where exactly are you working?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Give yourself at least 30 minutes, and that is if you're close to the exit.
hey I am planning to reside in Society hill at Woodward lane. How do you think will be the AM traffic

Old 06-26-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Why not just take the train? Basking Ridge has a station with a line going into downtown newark. Where exactly are you working?
I will be going to Bergen Street, Newark

Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Is it University Hospital/UMDNJ by any chance? If it is you could drive in, or take the Gladstone Line from Basking Ridge to Broad Street and take the 99 bus a block away, or Raritan Line from nearby Bridgewater or Bound Brook to Penn Station, then take a 21, 31 or 34 bus in. Bergen Street traffic both ways can be a pain during hours and 78 is worse. Transit is an option, but you can still tough it out and drive, depending if UMDNJ is your site.

Last edited by Marv95; 06-26-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Mapquest lists the trip from Basking Ridge to Newark as 40 min. But that's not with traffic. I would plan on at least an hour to an hour and a quarter. You really won't see much travel time difference by living in Livingston or Millburn - maybe 10 min non-traffic time; but you'll be hitting heavy traffic the entire trip during rush hours. My personal opinion is to shoot for Basking Ridge. If the hour plus commute is problematic, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a nice place within one hour during rush-hour.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Is it University Hospital/UMDNJ by any chance? If it is you could drive in, or take the Gladstone Line from Basking Ridge to Broad Street and take the 99 bus a block away, or Raritan Line from nearby Bridgewater or Bound Brook to Penn Station, then take a 21, 31 or 34 bus in. Bergen Street traffic both ways can be a pain during hours and 78 is worse. Transit is an option, but you can still tough it out and drive, depending if UMDNJ is your site.
Thanks for the reply and Yah I will be heading to UMDNJ Medical School

Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Mapquest lists the trip from Basking Ridge to Newark as 40 min. But that's not with traffic. I would plan on at least an hour to an hour and a quarter. You really won't see much travel time difference by living in Livingston or Millburn - maybe 10 min non-traffic time; but you'll be hitting heavy traffic the entire trip during rush hours. My personal opinion is to shoot for Basking Ridge. If the hour plus commute is problematic, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a nice place within one hour during rush-hour.
Thanks Annie for the reply

Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,531 times
There is a fair amount of traffic heading east on 78 from 6:30am until 9:30am. If non-traffic time is 40 minutes, I'd allow at least an hour. Accidents, weather, and sun glare will have an effect also.

Mass transit is a great idea, you can get work done on the train, so it's not wasted time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey