Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM

51 posts, read 132,487 times

Advertisements

We're moving out from NYC and contemplating either Livingston NJ or some town in CT (New Canaan, Darien, Greenwich, etc).

We're shocked at how much higher property taxes are in NJ vs CT. I was trying to get an understanding of exactly why this is so.

For example, for each million dollars you spend on a house in Greenwich, CT, you pay roughly $8,000 in property taxes. In Livingston NJ, it shall be roughly $24,000.

So, if I buy a $2MM house and property taxes go up 50% over the next 10 years, I'll be paying almost $75k in Livingston vs $24k in Greenwich CT. This is a huge disparity given that they aren't really fully tax deductible (there's a $10k cap). Given my estimate that all-in income taxes for my tax bracket shall have to be 50% then (for the govt to start paying for the financial crisis costs), I'll have to earn $100,000 in gross pay annually just for the difference in property taxes between the two towns.

Greenwich schools are roughly equal whereas New Canaan and Darien schools are probably superior to Livingston's.

Does anyone know of the reason for this huge disparity? Both states are in disarray regarding pension liabilities, etc. Both Essex county and Fairfield county have poor areas (Newark / Irvington vs Bridgeport / New Haven). Is it all due to the difference in the school structures in the two states?

Has anyone seen the movie 'The Cartel' about the state of the cost-structure of NJ school districts? Any truth in that?

Last edited by CTC2; 07-05-2011 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: edited spelling of town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,988,385 times
Welcome to New Jersey! I don't think you can really directly compare relative property taxes and school quality across states since funding of schools id done differently.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
In NJ, we don't have a personal property tax like you do in CT. So we get hit with Real Estate Taxes.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In NJ, we don't have a personal property tax like you do in CT. So we get hit with Real Estate Taxes.
True, but personal property taxes are comparatively small (a few hundred dollars for each car) relative to property taxes (unless you own a luxury yacht - we're nowhere at that level and never shall be).

Old 07-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Welcome to New Jersey! I don't think you can really directly compare relative property taxes and school quality across states since funding of schools id done differently.
Well, as a buyer, I MUST compare as it is very relevant...

Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC2 View Post
Well, as a buyer, I MUST compare as it is very relevant...

Yes, very relevant to your decision, But I don't think you can make the direct correlation/comparison of real estate taxes and school quality across states.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
I don't know anything about school systems in CT, but there's a lot of top performing schools, along with bottom performing schools in NJ... If you have children, it's worth making sure you're getting your money's worth.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
but there's a lot of top performing schools, along with bottom performing schools in NJ... If you have children, it's worth making sure you're getting your money's worth.
Thanks. I think the exact same thing applies to CT as well so unfortunately does not help elucidate any differences between NJ and CT public schooling / property taxes.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Yes, very relevant to your decision, But I don't think you can make the direct correlation/comparison of real estate taxes and school quality across states.
Ok, I can also compare the all-in costs v/s school quality as well: I think state income taxes in CT are also lower (though I'm not 100% sure).

Glad that you see that this is relevant to a buyer (like me). I feel (though I may be wrong here) that this question might even be relevant to a high property tax paying NJ residents - after all they have to question why it takes a lot more of their money to bring about the same results.

We're not talking about a 10% - 20% difference in property tax here: we're talking about a 200% difference (taking CT taxes as the base) or a 67% difference (taking NJ taxes as the base).

Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC2 View Post
Ok, I can also compare the all-in costs v/s school quality as well: I think state income taxes in CT are also lower (though I'm not 100% sure).

Glad that you see that this is relevant to a buyer (like me). I feel (though I may be wrong here) that this question might even be relevant to a high property tax paying NJ residents - after all they have to question why it takes a lot more of their money to bring about the same results.

We're not talking about a 10% - 20% difference in property tax here: we're talking about a 200% difference (taking CT taxes as the base) or a 67% difference (taking NJ taxes as the base).
You're beating a drum and all NJ knows the rhythm. NJ has the highest property taxes and you'll never get a satisfactory justification for it. Christie has limited increases, so your 50% increase may be less likely in NJ than in CT, but NJ will still be very very high. I would suggest just accepting that they are unreasonably high and factor it into your overall decision of home costs, total taxes, quality of living, convenience, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey