Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New Jersey: cost of living, taxes, traffic, mortgage, college.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:07 PM

543 posts, read 1,901,218 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone on this board who was honest about what it is really like to live in NJ. We were excited to be offered a job in the Garden State but after research and being on these boards we have decided we will stay in So. Cal for awhile. I have always had a love affair with the East Coast but I think I will look at PA or maybe somewhere in the South. Although we want to leave Orange Coutny to get away from the high cost of living at least we have great weather to make it seem worth it. It seems that a lot of people want out of NJ and it is just as expensive out there. I don't want to deal with high property tax and corruption and not have anything to offset that. (i.e good weather, people who love where they live). Most people I have talked to out here won't trade our high cost of living and traffic for the terrible weather of the East Coast, that scares me. Why don't they want to ever go back? And after seeing so that so many of you are trying to get out why would we want to move there. I think we will settle for visitng family and enjoying it while we are there. I would love to live close to NYC and I absolutly love the landscape of NJ but I don't think it will be worth it if our life will be more costly. Thank you for your honesty and helping us to not make a big mistake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 12:27 PM

113 posts, read 770,694 times
I just got a visual:

FOX's The O.C. vs. HBO's Sopranos.

Yep, I wouldn't want to move either

Old 08-11-2007, 07:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,556 times
Sorry to hear that you will not be going us but California is nice anyway.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:48 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Trust me..from an So Cal Gal..you are NOT making a mistake..just wait for the right opp and it will come to you.

Peace!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
If you ever do decide to investigate Northeastern Pennsylvania as an alternative to NJ, as many Garden Staters themselves are now doing, then feel free to consult me for advice!

Have a great day, and best of luck to you!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 PM

26 posts, read 115,879 times
WOW! I can't believe we are painting such a bad picture of NJ.
No place is perfect . . . best of luck when you do move.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,192 times
Thanks so much for not making this mistake, NJ thanks you too.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Thanks so much for not making this mistake, NJ thanks you too.
ROTFLMAO !!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Or you could have just gone to NJ and checked it out for yourself.

Not everyone's opinion is going to fit how YOU feel/view things all of the time.

Eh, whatever.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times
Your first mistake you made was listening to all those Jersey haters
There are a lot more people like me that love jersey than there are those that hate it, take a look at the people that have moved away and are now moving back
Sure we have our problems but so does every other state
I love Ca but i would not want to miss the change of seasons , the first snowfall ect ect ect...I would not trade it for anythng
I would miss heading to the mountains for skiing in the winter, heading down to the shore in the summer for the beaches ,heading into NYC anytime i wanted for a broadway show or just for the heck of it
Your second mistake will be not taking a chance to judge for yourself...Life is all about taking chances and you will never know how it would have turned out for you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey