Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 AM

332 posts, read 528,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
If you're looking into retail, don't make your resume look like the company you're applying to (Target, Kohl's, etc.) is a temporary step until you get your degree. Don't look better than the position you're applying for. Good luck.
I always make sure when they ask the question on an application of how long I plan to stay with a company, I click on the button as "career position" or "3 years or longer. I wouldn't reveal my plans to leave a job I work at while in college until I move into a career position related to my major, Network & Communications Management, which deals with computer networking.

In the college I go to, DeVry University in North Brunswick, I don't know if anyone heard of Cisco, but I can get certified in that while doing my major, plus given DeVry's credentials, I'm 90% likely to move into my new career after graduation in one of 96 current or former Fortune 100 companies. I can also do internship related to my field while I'm there, especially in the summer. They also have this thing called Co-op where year round they have temporary part-time work for students in their majors when they meet the requirements. Plus I might also look into working in DeVry itself sometime in the nearby future as a student.

I've applied to restaurants yet I think they mostly pay close to minimum wage. I stayed away from them more often. Electronics, clothing, and grocery retail stores have mostly sales positions, including when I usually try to apply for cashier positions. Even though I'm more into customer service, I know there are sales position that are substitutes for customer service.

I recently submitted my most updated copy of my resume on Careerbuilder.com in the hopes of getting a position in Customer Service or Information Technology. I should go and apply to jobs that can be done on their regular sites but also through Careerbuilder, yet most of the time, companies that respond to my resume are either insurance, financial, or some other sales companies.

Should I look in retail company that specifically deals in customer service, or should I try out some of the sales positions? Which sales positions would fit me best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 AM

153 posts, read 377,388 times
I can tell you that you shouldn't have a problem finding a cashiering job at a grocery store, what with the extremely high turnover rate of most grocery stores.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
I'm 23 years of age, black, and if I'm very lucky, I get from home to college within an hour which is highly unlikely (I'm sick and tired of taking the stinkin' bus for the most part) versus a 35 minute ride by car which I would love to get after hopefully passing my road test October 14th. I do think college is important in order for me to move into my career and not just "a job", but while focusing on my education I would like to have some extra cash to save up but also be able to get out the house more and do more of what I like to do.
i don't know where in NJ you live, but i think many of the Wal-Marts are hiring.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Try avoiding retail and look into an office position. There must be some sort of entry level office job that you can do while attending night school. This might also leave your weekends free for studying.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Try avoiding retail and look into an office position. There must be some sort of entry level office job that you can do while attending night school. This might also leave your weekends free for studying.
Once I schedule my classes again for the Fall 2011 semester which is from October 24th to February 26th next year, sometime in the middle of next month I might consider doing classes at night.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM91 View Post
I can tell you that you shouldn't have a problem finding a cashiering job at a grocery store, what with the extremely high turnover rate of most grocery stores.
It might be once the school season begins when they actually start hiring, but for now I'm going to apply to some of them.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i don't know where in NJ you live, but i think many of the Wal-Marts are hiring.
I live in Elizabeth in Union County which is right next to Newark, and if you go to the southeastern part of the city, you can take the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island. I'll apply to Wal-Mart, but the one that's closer to me in which I can take public transportation to but also work everyday including Sundays is the one on Route 27 in Edison. I'll see what they have there.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
I live in Elizabeth in Union County which is right next to Newark, and if you go to the southeastern part of the city, you can take the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island. I'll apply to Wal-Mart, but the one that's closer to me in which I can take public transportation to but also work everyday including Sundays is the one on Route 27 in Edison. I'll see what they have there.
is it difficult for you to get to the one in Kearny, NJ? it's right outside of Newark.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:18 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
It's not you it's the economy! Being unemployed isn't helping your cause because a lot of companies are now hesitant to hire anyone who is unemployed especially if they have been so for a long period of time.

As for the retail positions you are applying for how many applications do you think they are receiving with the economy as bad as it is?? You have to make yourself stand out.

Don't just fill out an online application and then expect to hear back, fill out your application what ever "official" way they require (kiosk, paper, online, etc) then bring a copy of the application or your resume directly to the manager. Introduce yourself promise not to take a lot of thier time give them the application/resume tell them you are VERY interested in the position and have always wanted to work for them and you'll follow up in a few days (and actually do it!!).

Look neat, maintain eye contact, keep your cell phone on silent and out of sight and KEEP IT BRIEF. Try to dress the part too, don't walk into Banana Republic dressed like you should be applying at Champs. Try to wear something similar to what the staff or customer base of that store would be wearing.

If your going try Wal-Mart wear a nice blue button down or polo shirt and khaki's, when the manager sees you'll they'll be able to envision you already working there.

Make sure your shoes and hands/nails are clean and your hair is tidy.

You may also want to apply for one of those minimum wage jobs you've been avoiding, even if you don't plan on staying longer than a week. If you can put down that your currently working it will make you seem a little more desirable than someone whose been unemployed for 7 months.

Goood luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
That's great advice, great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey