Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 36,451 times

Advertisements

My friend, who is living on Franklin Street in Tenafly, got a parking ticket as street parking is not allowed between 2 to 6 AM.

Is there anywhere one can park a vehicle on the street overnight?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 36,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teich50 View Post
My friend, who is living on Franklin Street in Tenafly, got a parking ticket as street parking is not allowed between 2 to 6 AM.

Is there anywhere one can park a vehicle on the street overnight?

Thanks in advance.
I think i can answer my own question, after reading the last page of the document http://www.tenaflynj.org/filestorage/3718/1030/2394/2006_04_25_RV.pdf (broken link) .

Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 PM

99 posts, read 478,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Re LampLighter:
Well there's also a tailor, a couple restaurants, a diner, and a stop and shop, and I'm pretty sure there's a mechanic somewhere, and a gym
Most of what you need on a day to day basis
If you mean the tailor who used to be on South Summit Street, he moved his business to nearby Dumont about three years ago.

The couple restaurants have probably closed by now as independent restaurants typically do not survive in Tenafly: Sanmaroo recently closed. Sanzari's was torn down along with some independent service-oriented businesses and was replaced by Chase bank. The former Lum Chin on Piermont Road has been vacant for YEARS. Charlie Brown's closed last year due to corporate mismanagement. The list goes on...

The diner closes at 11PM, which is quite early considering the average diner in NJ stays open 24 hours and those which close do so around 2AM. When I last ate there, the food had an awkward metallic taste

The Stop & Shop closes around 10PM and, like the CVS, is often under-stocked.
Quote:
about Angelique's: really? Because that seems like the only appropriate place. They've kept the old buildings in the other towns like HIllsdale and Park Ridge, and they're good because they provide shelter to commuters. Plus it would be free as opposed to building another station.
The original town planners who laid the ground-work for present-day Tenafly felt it was an appropriate location for a TRAIN station also. Apparently, the present-day municipal government and some local citizens disagree.
Quote:
I could see where you could construct near the Clinton Inn Hotel - indeed there's some old building there that isn't being used for anything, or maybe it beloings tpo the hotel for parties and stuff, or maybe that WAS its purpose.
and they want to build a station at the proposed Hudson Ave stop? really? Because there's already a wide enough strip there next to the actual rails that people could gather and get on and off. All they'd need to do is clear and pour some concrete to make a kind of platform. You know, like Anderson station in Hackensack, no actual building for the station.
That old building was ANOTHER restaurant, J. Stancato's, which failed in Tenafly. It is privately owned and presently slated to be demolished in favor of an apartment building to satisfy affordable housing requirements, though less than 10% of the units will be "affordable"

And the NJ Transit plans call for acquiring multiple parcels of land on the opposite side of Piermont Road to build a station. They will not be using that green strip on the west side of the road.
Quote:
I'm looking forward to the train coming to new places, and it seems silly people complain about it. I know Tenafly thoroughly and there's no way it should really bother anyone, all the single-family zones are up the hill, far enough away the sound shouldn't bother them.
Are you saying it is better the noise should bother the multi-family zones? Actually, I have heard the complaints involve EVERYTHING from noise to safety. Those opposed to the rail-line extension claim loud whistles will blow about 100 times a day and disrupt residents and restaurant patrons who dine outdoors, thus ruining their businesses (even though restaurants presently don't survive in Tenafly anyway). Safety concerns are raised because opponents feel many children will be seriously injured and killed because the trains will run them over. It is well known, after all, that in all towns with an active rail line, many kids walking to and from school get killed by trains Other safety concerns involve emergency responders being blocked from the east-side while the trains pass. This, also, is expected to cause numerous deaths that would have been avoided if not for that dang train

Quote:
And after Northern Branch to Tenafly there's plans to open up the line between Hackensack and Hawthorne, so the two lines, Pascack Valley and Bergen/Main would be connected.

There are lines to Freehold and Vineland that could eventually be opened to. All things which we need. If they'd let a little privatization for a while, maybe they could open them sooner, but I doubt such would happen from our legislature, unfortunately.
All mass transit options should be explored and on the table. All one needs to do is sit in traffic at peak travel times to realize this. Nonetheless, there will always be opposition to anything new and unfamiliar. It should be noted that Tenafly is the only municipality on the proposed line which has expressed opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey