Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,098,979 times

Advertisements

Hi,
might be renting in Hackensack soon. Want to be within walking distance of one of the train stations. What I was wondering is what areas are "bad" or higher-crime. I know that Hackensack, being in Bergen County, doesn't have much crime to worry about at all, but I may come back by myself or with a date from NYC some night later at night like 11:00 or later from the train station. How is the Anderson Street area? Do homeless people sleep in Anderson Park? The whole area has a bit of a seedy feel to it, and there were plenty of people just loitering, then again it was like 5:00 pm, so everbody would be back from work at that time. And I thought I saw some homeless guys in Anderson Park. Would the area on Main street around New Bridge Landing be better? I don't know why, but it "looks" better? Is that even meaningful? I mean on the one hand it's a busier street, so in theory criminals wouldn't do as much stuff there because they don't want so many eyes on them. Then again why wouldn't a residential area like Anderson st be better in that regard? Makes me wonder about the whole issue of which areas of towns actually experience more crime and don't. I don't know if I can believe the whole "look" thing. I know Prospect ave. is the nice area of town, but is it really going to have less crime when it's only a block or two away from a seedy-looking area like Anderson Street?
How about the Essex street are, up on the hill. Again, somehow because it's a busy, open street it looks less "bad".

How about the downtown Main street? Would it be dangerous one night to just walk to a restaurant and eat there and walk back, let's say 9:00-10:00 with a date?

Or have I overall just gotten too used to Northern Bergen County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 18,454 times
Hackensack is safe. You should be ok.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:08 PM

30 posts, read 140,508 times
Anderson street is fine. I take the train from that station and walk around the area at night. No problems what so ever. There really is nothing on main street restaurant wise to walk to. I would feel better taking the train from Anderson then Essex street late at night. The area is pretty safe overall, a lot of families with kids.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,092 times
You're definitely better off in the Anderson St station area than Essex. Close friends of mine have lived around that area for years and my girlfriend and I were even looking for apartments around there when we moved to NJ. It ain't the prettiest on some blocks but I wouldn't be too worried.

As for Main St restaurants, ain't much. But there's plenty more throughout the city. Some great Irish pubs as well (Harley's, Lanigans used to be better...), great pizza spots. If you're a burger fan, well then I'm sure you're already familiar with the glory that is White Manna

Old 08-11-2011, 07:39 PM

guys, Bangkok Garden thai restaurant is on main street hackensack. It's really very authentic Thai food. Probably one of the best in the tri-state area. They don't try to do any weird modern stuff or use too much sweet to cater to american tastes, so their food can be kind of musty from the fish sauce and really strong spice mixes with galangal. But if you really like strong flavors you'll like it.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM

I'm not just worried about violent theft/mugging, simple stealing is much more common and something to be avoided. Once in Riverdale, Bronx my headlights were stolen. It's Bronx but it's Riverdale! One of nicest ares in NYC! Then again I did have those fancy xenon headlights on that car that they steal often becuase of the high price

there's one unit that's nice and cheap, but there's no parking, and I fear using street parking, which may end up being kind of far from my actual window in my apartment, is just asking for stuff to be stolen off my car. I'd bet one of the complexes would be a safer bet with their private parking lots.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,092 times
Actually my friends who live there park on the street as well, no issues. It could happen there, it could (and has) happen in Tenafly, off street parking or not. What block would it be on? Like any city, Hackensack has it's nicer area but can still be block-by-block. Where I live has private parking but it costs extra, so i park on the street outside the complex, nowhere near my window. Same risk involved even if there I did pay for on site parking cause I wouldn't be able to see my car. Just don't leave stuff out in plain site and give people a reason to want to break in.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
I'm not just worried about violent theft/mugging, simple stealing is much more common and something to be avoided. Once in Riverdale, Bronx my headlights were stolen. It's Bronx but it's Riverdale! One of nicest ares in NYC! Then again I did have those fancy xenon headlights on that car that they steal often becuase of the high price

there's one unit that's nice and cheap, but there's no parking, and I fear using street parking, which may end up being kind of far from my actual window in my apartment, is just asking for stuff to be stolen off my car. I'd bet one of the complexes would be a safer bet with their private parking lots.
theres nothing you can do about it. Hackensack is a small area, and anyone can get to any location. Lock your car, keep your GPS and other similar items in the glove box, if not take them inside.

I wouldn't worry too much about that kind of thing if you are renting. It could very well happen anywhere.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,101 times
You'll be just fine in Hackensack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey