Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 AM

11 posts, read 10,006 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, I am moving to NJ from VA next month and was hoping someone here could guide me in the apartment hunting process. I would be working in Midtown, so I was thinking that somewhere in Northern NJ would suit me better. I would prefer a safe(ish) neighborhood with decent apartment sizes. I am trying to save some money for grad school, so my budget for rent+utilities would be in the 1300-1550 range for a 1 BR apartment. The less the commute to Midtown, the better. Also, I would be prefer to live close to public transportation as I won't have a car. Any suggestions you guys can give me? Which neighborhoods should I focus on? Any websites where I can find decent deals? Here are the details:

Where are you coming from? VA
Why are you moving? New Job
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? I'll be working in NYC - midtown to be precise.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? 1300-1600 including utilities
What kind of place are you looking for ? Safe neighborhood with close to public trains/buses.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No, I am single with no pets.
Do you need/want good public schools? Doesn't matter

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Not too fussy - but the more closer it is to the city, the better.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Short commute, urban, good amenities and close to public transport

I'll appreciate your input. Thanks a lot!

P.S: Do you think it would be a good idea to search somewhere in NY as well? Of course, for that budget, I won't be able to stay in Manhattan, but some other areas in NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
South Bergen county may be a good fit for you. Rutherford, Carlstadt, Wood-Ridge, Hasbrouck Heights or Hackensack.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for your reply. How is the commute to Midtown from these places?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Rutherford/ East rutherford would be a good fit. If you are looking for a more laid back suburban feel. 30 minute commute. (Train or Bus)

If you want urban then I would recommend Hoboken, Newport, or Downtown Jersey City(Paulus Hook, VanVorst Park, Grove St areas). All have great public transport and can get you to midtown in as little as 20 minutes. (PATH Train(Jersey subway), bus or ferry)

If you want Urban NY you can look at Brooklyn( Park Slope, Gowanus, dumbo, Williamsburg) although your budget will be tested there. Astoria in Queens. Hope that helps.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks mate! Are there any resources where I can look for apartments? Apart from Craigslist, which i find is flooded with weird posts.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM

yeh C-list sucks but it's really all there is for NYC, Hoboken and JC. 95% of the listings are rental brokers fishing for clients. There is nothing wrong with using a broker, in fact if you can afford it I'd recommend it. You will be responsible for paying the broker for their service the equivalent of 1 months rent when you sign your lease. That means you'll need 3 months rent up front( 1st month's rent, 1 month security and 1 month fee).

Your budget is a little low for the high rises but you can always check what's available:

Newport

http://www.newportrentalsnj.com/

Hoboken (This is a pretty good list of all the big rental complexes in town, again most will be out of your range but who knows you may get lucky)

Hoboken Apartment / Apartments, Rentals, Rent

JC ( Again stick to areas in Historic Downtown area, Waterfront, Paulus Hook, Grove Street or VanVorst Park)

Downtown Jersey City Apartment / Apartments, Rentals, Rent
East Rutherford

East Rutherford Apartments | Apartments For Rent in New Jersey | Avalon Rutherford Station

This place is literally next door to the train and across the street from 2 bars. Much bigger and nicer than what you will get in NYC, Hoboken or JC but you are farther from the city and its a totally different vibe with not as much access to "fun".

Also...you could check out Bayside in Queens. Stick to the areas within walking distance to LIRR and Bell Blvd. I think commute to penn station is about 30-40 minutes)

Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks for those links, that really helps.

Another question - Do you think I can survive without a car if I live in the areas mentioned above? Or is it absolutely needed?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 PM

777 posts, read 2,381,085 times
Check out njmls.com, Realtor.com, and hotpads.com for apartments.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm2282 View Post
Thanks for those links, that really helps.

Another question - Do you think I can survive without a car if I live in the areas mentioned above? Or is it absolutely needed?
If you stick to Hoboken, Jersey City, Astoria, or Brooklyn you will not need a car, in fact a car is a huge headache due to parking. I lived in those areas for over a decade without a car. The farther out you go the more of a hassle it is not to have a car. For instance if you chose East Rutherford/Rutherford or Bayside I would strongly recommend getting a car or your kind of trapped.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Rutherford...405 Park Ave...nice apts. I believe there's a resident mgr. NYC bus at door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey