Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times

Advertisements

Not sure what was going on but when I saw the hanging lamp swinging I realizedt I wasn't having a sezure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Here a link to file your report of what you felt. It was posted on the Charlotte board. M5.8 – Virginia

Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 PM

47 posts, read 118,084 times
Here in Cranford, It was a strange swaying feeling. Not the shaking feeling you always heard of. Either way, it was pretty strange. I looked out the window at the bird bath and the water was sloshing around.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
felt it in weehawken! everything in my bedroom was shaking
I am in Weehawken as well, but I didn't feel it. I feel slighted, lol. All of my family members in Pittsburgh felt it and my mom's building got evacuated. I also talked to my family members in VA and DC and they of course felt it, but everything seems to be okay down there. It could have been much much worse.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 PM

275 posts, read 773,554 times
I felt it in Mt. Arlington, NJ. I knew it was an earthquake right away since I lived in Turkey few years and it moves like a swing several times a year. I counted to 10 to see if it was going to get worse before I run for my son in his room and bolt out the door but I could tell it wasn't that strong so I just sat tight until it was over. A strangest thing about earthquakes is even after it is over, for several days, you will feel like earth is moving under your feet. It messes up human balance I think. It is a weird feeling.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,407 times
I'm in Mt. Laurel at work. The whole building was shaking! I don't think I ran that fast ever in my life!
My mom in Woodbury called and told me they felt it there. Anybody know how it is in Wildwood? My son is there and I can't get ahold of him

Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
I felt it in Mt. Arlington, NJ. I knew it was an earthquake right away since I lived in Turkey few years and it moves like a swing several times a year. I counted to 10 to see if it was going to get worse before I run for my son in his room and bolt out the door but I could tell it wasn't that strong so I just sat tight until it was over. A strangest thing about earthquakes is even after it is over, for several days, you will feel like earth is moving under your feet. It messes up human balance I think. It is a weird feeling.

I'm feeling like this - I thought it was just me! lol

Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
South Jersey, outside Deptford. I thought my leg was shaking for a few seconds before the main quake hit. I'm sitting here with my cats in carriers in case we get an aftershock and need to leave the house. Any idea how long I should keep them penned up? I'm hearing the danger of aftershocks fades after an hour.
i did the same thing...the first tremors i thought was my knee shaking, as i sometime do, shaking my desk. then one of my coworkers said something as my monitor started shaking. love the twitter/fb world...knew within a couple minutes what it was. googled it and there were barely any mentions of it, yet someone had already checked a government site that had it pegged as a 5.8 outside of richmond. those lazy government workers, how'd they get that up there so fast!?

people in california are laughing non stop at us though. i had a call i was leading from 2:30-now and we northeasterners were talking about it (even felt as far out as ohio, and someone said detroit). the guys on the call from california were laughing at us saying that this measure was nothing. lol

i did hear many buildings in manhattan evacuated.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I felt it in Mo'town. I was in a bathroom in an upper floor putting some eye drops in when the mirror in front of me started rattling. My thoughts:

-Are they doing construction outside?
-Am I hallucinating?
-Is my blood sugar too low? I should eat.
-Is something wrong with my eyes?
-What is this? What's going on?

Then, I stepped out of the bathroom into the hallway to see if I could feel it out there. Then I stepped back in the bathroom. Yup. Still rattling. After a few seconds it stopped and I dismissed the whole thing as a figment of my imagination and hopped on the internet to check email. That's when I figured out it had been an earthquake.

So, basically, if this were a disaster flick, I'd be one of the stupid people in the beginning that are the first to die.
honestly, anyone who wasn't around someone else to verify they weren't crazy probably experienced it basically the same way as you. in fact, a bunch of us looked at each other in the office, completely confused. "could wind do that?". "did the air conditioning just kick on"? we are in an old building...but we were confused. of course cell phones aren't really working. no real news on it. but facebook and twitter answered the question quickly. haha

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM

376 posts, read 665,541 times
i felt it and i was SCARED for my life. i was looking at my laptop while watching some documentary and i saw it shaking. at that instant, i looked at the corner of my room and also noticed that it was shaking too. right away, i knew that something was definitely not right because i never seen that before. needless to say, i didn't even wait to see if it was going to intensify so i got up ready to run the hell out the house. i woke up my older brother that was sleeping in his bedroom and told him to wake up and let's get the hell out of here. i know there's going to be more earthquakes coming. usually there are if it's an earthquake that strong. i reported that to the earthquake center right away thinking it was over here and then i check on the site and they said there was an earthquake in virginia. oh man... i was shook for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey