Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 AM

44 posts, read 154,015 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in NJ who has a teenager (15 going on 16) living with them who is out of control. They don't listen, follow rules, always come home extremely late, and is nasty to the parents (including cursing). From what I was told, the teenager is constantly and consistently disobedient and disrespectful. What options can I recommend for them? Can they kick them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
That sounds like a typical spoiled Teenager.....

Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
How about some professional services. Try NJ211 and look for local resources.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,879 times
What happened to kids fearing their parents. I loved that I grew up that way and my kids did also.

Parents need to stop trying to be their kids friends and pop they behinds in the mouth when they disrespect you.

What the parent needs to do is stop the 'TIME OUT"and the "talking" and start raising them the way we were raised back in the day.

I don't mean ABUSE, the kids, I mean get in their azzes so that they see you're not playing.

Urgh, I dislike weak, parents who let their kids run them.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,202 times
St. Clares in Boonton / Denville has some great adolescent out patient programs for behavioral issues....

Adolescent Intensive Outpatient Program » Saint Clare’s (http://www.saintclares.org/adolescent-intensive-outpatient-program/ - broken link)

Not sure where in NJ you are, but there are similar programs through out.... High Focus is one of them and they have several locations.

http://www.highfocuscenters.com/facilities.html

Old 09-15-2011, 07:24 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,974 times
I am willing to bet the problem stems with the parents themselves. Kids are a product of their upbringing.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 AM

667 posts, read 1,744,024 times
If that kid has been in an environment that allowed this to happen since they were small children correcting it at this stage will be very difficult. If this is sort of 'new' behavior then I would suggest sitting down with the kid when things are calm not at the time of confrontation. Go for a family trip or something similar where the parent can have a true discussion. Maybe the kid has some type of anxiety and just doesnt know how to deal with it.

Another suggestion is to have your friend reach out to the adult(s) that the kid does have great respect for - the coach, teacher, police officer, counselor, grandma, older teen, etc. and sort of provide a safe bridge for opening conversation.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times
When he does something stupid enough to go to jail, don't bail him out. Don't give him money. Let him be alone and take responsibility for his actions. Let him quickly see what the real world is like. So he can see how the real world preys on people like him.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Speaking as a retired school counselor, I can tell you that this can be an extremely trying situation for families.

Back in "the good old days", parents could go to the Family Court located at their County Seat, and file an Incorrigible Child complaint. If the presiding judge agreed that the child was, indeed, incorrigible, then he/she was remanded to a state "reform school" type of facility. Unfortunately, these facilities did little to successfully reform kids, and--in fact--placing groups of incorrigibles together tended to reinforce negative behaviors. This is just one more example of how "the good old days" may not have been so good.

Because of the failure of that approach, and because cases like this were needlessly tying up the overburdened court system, counties were mandated to create a Crisis Intervention Unit in each County Seat. These offices provide relevant adolescent and family counseling, and tend to be quite effective. Drug screening is usually part of the process, simply because drug abuse is frequently one of the underlying factors in severe acting-out behavior. There is the threat of "being sent away" if the child refuses to comply with services, so there is an inducement for kids to cooperate.

Anyway, since we don't know where you reside, here is a website listing the contact phone numbers for the Crisis Intervention Unit in each NJ county:
AIRS-NJ - County Crisis Intervention Numbers

I strongly suggest that you make an appointment for an intake interview as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
A family friend was going through something similar. 14yr old seemed to change over the summer and become very unruly. He would frequently be out with his friends until all hours of the night, completely disrespectful, cursing at his parents (both of them). Months went by with no resolution. Mother couldn't take it, took an extended vacation from work, cleaned out his room, left a bare mattress and some clothes, took EVERYTHING away, removed all forms of entertainment from the house and declared a Family State of Emergency. He and his 2 younger sisters would be on lock down 24/7 except for school. No contact with friends outside of school.

Every day a different child would pick where they went for dinner or what they did after dinner and they did everything as a family together. They all had to sit together for an hour to talk about their day. After a couple weeks of this the son finally started opening up about his frustrations. As he started becoming a member of the family again he started getting his stuff back and getting more privileges. If i remember it took them about 6 months before everything was back to semi normal.

They were over the house this past weekend and he seems like a happier kid now. Not so mopey and standoffish.

I am no doctor or therapist or have had ANY professional training in any way. But IMO, most teenagers are a product of their environment. Home, school, friends all help shape them. They are dealing with new emotions they may not have fully under control and having a loving and supportive family goes a long way in helping them adjust to a very confusing time of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey