Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 PM

40 posts, read 80,365 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? south new jersey
Why are you moving? relocation for job
Where will you be working ?in Woodcliff lake. so I prefer to be close to woodcliff lake. but the new town should be on the route to shrewsbury, tops 30 minutes to woodcliff lake.

Will you buy or rent? rent
What is your budget ? renting budget is okay
What kind of place are you looking for ? small detached one family house or a townhouse with a small yard. if possible in a development complex, so that I will not have to take care of the yard maintenance.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? yes the family is relocating
Do you need/want good public schools? absolute must!!!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) : a safe and diversity welcomed environment

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc): safety and school system and diversity welcoming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:26 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Well Woodcliff Lake and Shrewsbury aren't exactly close to each other, but they are both right off the Parkway.

"Renting budget is ok" doesn't really tell us much about how much you can spend, how many bedrooms do you need? Do you have a pet?

We live in Bogota, my girlfriend's family is in Shrewsbury. It takes us about an hour or less to get down there even with some traffic (Turnpike to Parkway) and is about a half hour or less to Woodcliff Lake. Paramus could be a good option to look into. Maybe River Edge, Oradell, Maywood, Emerson, Westwood... I could go on, but any town in Bergen County could be a good fit. But without knowing your budget there's not much else anyone can give you.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Default would you recommend Bogota school system

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Well Woodcliff Lake and Shrewsbury aren't exactly close to each other, but they are both right off the Parkway.

"Renting budget is ok" doesn't really tell us much about how much you can spend, how many bedrooms do you need? Do you have a pet?

We live in Bogota, my girlfriend's family is in Shrewsbury. It takes us about an hour or less to get down there even with some traffic (Turnpike to Parkway) and is about a half hour or less to Woodcliff Lake. Paramus could be a good option to look into. Maybe River Edge, Oradell, Maywood, Emerson, Westwood... I could go on, but any town in Bergen County could be a good fit. But without knowing your budget there's not much else anyone can give you.
thank you for the answer )

renting budget could be up to 3500 -4K
we would need at least 3 bedrooms.
we do not have a pet and we are not planning to have one.

how is the school system in bogota? would you recommend it ? which of the /
cities you have mentioned would be a better school environment for my kids?

every recommendation is deeply appreciated

Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 PM

I can't personally comment on the schools here in Bogota, our only kids are two rambunctious Boston Terriers. I've heard both great and so-so things about Bogota's schools. It's an oddity, for being such a small town surrounded by so many larger towns that it even has its own school system. On that note though, there's only a handful of towns in Bergen County where the schools might be considered "not good", and depending on your definition of what makes a school good.

Personally I think to a larger degree, school has more to do with what your child makes of it. I went to what's often heralded as some of the "best" public school systems in Bergen County. My parents were very insistant and instilled high values on our education, but by the middle of high school I couldn't stand the competition and attitudes of everyone else, and I just stopped caring. BUt guess what, doing much better than a lot of people from my class. 10 years later most those kids still live in that town and live with their parents...

Point of that I guess is, don't always assume a highly regarded public school ensures great things for your kids. I occasionally run into kids I "grew up" with, have to hear about their lives up to now, and man, they've done and seen nothing.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 AM

11 posts, read 23,318 times
Thank you for sharing.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Waldwick is a good choice, about 15-20 minutes by back roads to Woodcliff Lake. Solid schools, low crime, a small downtown and close to Paramus shopping and Ridgewood downtown. Not sure of your budget but it's worth a look.

Or you could head to southern B.C. like Rutherford which has good schools and a downtown. Would be closer to NJT & GSP

Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 PM

Waldwick is definitely a good choice. With that kind of budget and no pets you should be able to find a pretty nice house in a good town. Hillsdale also is very close to Woodcliff Lake, close to the Parkway, has a decent downtown. Westwood as well (just south of Hillsdale).

Old 09-25-2011, 07:22 PM

how about bloomfield or livingstone?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:59 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Can you explain why your town has to be on the route to Shrewsbury? I live next to Shrewsbury, and my mother is in Midland Park, which is closer than Woodcliff lake, and she's a 62 mile drive. That's a lot of space in between towns. Curious as to why you mentioned Shrewsbury.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can you explain why your town has to be on the route to Shrewsbury? I live next to Shrewsbury, and my mother is in Midland Park, which is closer than Woodcliff lake, and she's a 62 mile drive. That's a lot of space in between towns. Curious as to why you mentioned Shrewsbury.
Probably Bagel Masters on 35, place is awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey