Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:00 AM

54 posts, read 336,173 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas within these two cities that have a reasonable quality of life with lower crime and poverty?

Can somebody who lives in, lived in, lives around or frequently travels to these cities tell me a bit about it? The more info the better

Thanks <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM

41 posts, read 129,183 times
Short answer: No.

If you want to live near, West Orange has some really good areas.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:53 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Well, lower crime than what? E.O. isn't the worst place in NJ (that would be Camden), but it's probably in the bottom 10.

My sense of E.O, judging mostly from the state of disrepair and the "people hanging around looking hostile" factor, is the best part is the NW side, including Brick Church Station. The side to the south of the tracks and highway where the DMV is and the area around the Parkway and east seem worse. I don't know if stats bear out my gut on this, though.

In that area, there's the Woodlands at Upsala, which look really nice on the outside anyway, also see thread here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...st-orange.html

Still, no matter how you slice it you'd be in East Orange.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 AM

12 posts, read 45,346 times
Default East Orange Woodland Area

This part of EO is okay. It is heavily patrolled by EO police. So there's little or no hanging around on the street. I feel relatively safe, but careful as I would be anywhere. If you are looking to purchase, this would be the area to consider. My neighborhood is nice, quiet, working/middle-class with one or two ghetto minded families on the street. Be warned, the taxes are extremely high in EO. I sent my council rep an email and have yet to receive a reply. However, if you email City Hall, someone will respond. Do your homework and the math, but stay closer to the First Ward, Upsala area. There is more diversity in the city, so that's an improvement. However, much more work to be done regarding city taxes. They are ridiculous.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,661 times
East Orange and Orange, is mostly black living there. I used to live in east orange and orange, and I rather live in east orange or orange, then Newark. Orange, NJ is smaller than East Orange. The nicer part of East Orange, is the closets to Bloomfield, NJ and Glen Ridge, NJ section. There used to be an Upsala College, but part of it is now East Orange High Campus and across the street are the new homes that has been built. Beautiful homes from the outside. The price might be affordable too.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM

19 posts, read 39,641 times
Default East Orange

There are some apts in East Orange that are a really good deal. You could check out the Gaia Grand Complex on Park Ave. In has a nice pool and it is quiet and friendly, professionals.

East Orange area by Watsessing Park in 1st Ward is a nice suburban area. There are a lot of pluses of living in East Orange, mainly convenience to the Parkway and direct train to Manhattan.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 45,346 times
Default Living in East Orange

I live in the 1st Ward of East Orange and I agree it's not that bad. However, the taxes are still some of the highest in essex county. The only other city that has a higher tax rate is Irvington, NJ. Go figure. It seems the middle and working class minorities are getting hit the worse because there's no one to fight for them. If I had to do it all over again, I would not buy in East Orange. The town is too small with no businesses to support it. Everything is passed on to the homeowners. It's takes away the pleasure of owning a home. All you're doing is making payments. Thank God my faith is in him. Other than that, I wouldn't be able to do it.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,971 times
@ KeepIslanders50, it's been several months since your initial post so I don't know if you received the answers you were looking for, but allow me to throw my 2 cents into the mix. I am a fifteen year resident of East Orange with an extensive understanding of the current situation in East Orange. While others may comment on the way it used to be in EO, I've been here and will give you an honest analysis.

First of all, I would suggest you review the data provided by City-Data.com: [URL]//www.city-data.com/city/East-Orange-New-Jersey.html[/URL]. This demographic analysis is probably the most comprehensive snapshot of the who and the what the City looks like given the most recent data. To address several comments made by other folks who have posted, East Orange is one of the most safest cities in the country (city, not towns). This is based on the national crime statistics that show a 60% decrease in crime since 1999 - 2010. Again, if you look at the City-Data.com data, the number of crime events in East Orange is slightly higher than the national average.

As for the residential scene, most of East Orange (over 70%) consists of rental units. There are vrey nice 1-4 famiy neighborhoods (i.e., Woodlands, Presidential, Doddtown, Ampere, etc.).

Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 PM

402 posts, read 752,018 times
illtown aka naughtyville.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EO_Denizen View Post
@ KeepIslanders50, it's been several months since your initial post so I don't know if you received the answers you were looking for, but allow me to throw my 2 cents into the mix. I am a fifteen year resident of East Orange with an extensive understanding of the current situation in East Orange. While others may comment on the way it used to be in EO, I've been here and will give you an honest analysis.

First of all, I would suggest you review the data provided by City-Data.com: //www.city-data.com/city/East-O...ew-Jersey.html. This demographic analysis is probably the most comprehensive snapshot of the who and the what the City looks like given the most recent data. To address several comments made by other folks who have posted, East Orange is one of the most safest cities in the country (city, not towns). This is based on the national crime statistics that show a 60% decrease in crime since 1999 - 2010. Again, if you look at the City-Data.com data, the number of crime events in East Orange is slightly higher than the national average.

As for the residential scene, most of East Orange (over 70%) consists of rental units. There are vrey nice 1-4 famiy neighborhoods (i.e., Woodlands, Presidential, Doddtown, Ampere, etc.).
That's very good. Thank you.

But what about the Greenwood section? I want to hit that area for multifamily investing to renovate for section 8 renting. I know that Greenwood is undesirable, but whatever else you can tell me about it will be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey