Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 26,654 times

Advertisements

Hello ! yes another inquiry about NJ

My husband works at Newark airport. Has to commute in from Houston right now.....no fun.
So we decided to move, scary.
He has to fly from there a couple times a week, so a bit longer of a commute wouldn't hurt, but he would prefer the train.

We have two little kids one starts Kindergarten Monday.
I read some of the threads, thinking about looking closer into :
Cranford
Westfield
Sayreville
Woodbridge
how about Hoboken for families ? Summit ?

I am looking for family friendly, but not too suburbia ( I need a bit of entertainment also ). Good public schools, cause first year pay hardly covers rent...
safe, with possible outdoor living / parks etc .

We would prefer to rent ( house / townhouse , nice appartment ), but could look into buying if necessary.
rent about $ 1600?? hopefully cheaper...

I have never been there don't really know what to expect, come from Europe myself.
My husband didn't see much but Newark itself and didn't think much about that...

Any ideas ?
Thanks for Your advice !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,105 times
Newark you want to stay out off..

1600. in the towns you mentioned is probably going to be impossible.. even worst in Hoboken.. that would prob get you a studio there.. you can probably look into Union, Roselle Park, even Elizabeth (Westminister/North Elizabeth/Elmora sections)..

i'm assuming you probably want a 3 bedroom.. 1 for each child and master bedroom for you/husband..

good luck with search.. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by liederlich View Post

My husband works at Newark airport. Has to commute in from Houston right now.....no fun.
He has to fly from there a couple times a week, so a bit longer of a commute wouldn't hurt, but he would prefer the train.

Cranford
Westfield
Sayreville
Woodbridge

I am looking for family friendly, but not too suburbia ( I need a bit of entertainment also ). Good public schools, cause first year pay hardly covers rent...

We would prefer to rent ( house / townhouse , nice appartment ), but could look into buying if necessary.

I have never been there don't really know what to expect, come from Europe myself.
My husband didn't see much but Newark itself and didn't think much about that...

Any ideas ?
Thanks for Your advice !

Old 08-24-2007, 02:30 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,035 times
Quote:

Cranford
Westfield
Sayreville
Woodbridge

Any ideas ?
Thanks for Your advice !
Stay away from Hoboken unless you want to send your kids to private school. Public schools are pretty bad there. Westfield, Cranford, Summit are really nice - $1600 might be tough, though.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
You could get a nice 2 BR in Woodbridge for $1,600, or a so-so 3 BR. Hubby could take the train direct to the airport, or he could drive up, which a 20-30 minute ride, depending on what time he's heading in.

If you're looking to buy, you'll be spending +/- $300k or more for anything in a decent area. We just sold our 3 BR 1BA cape in the Iselin section of Woodbridge last month for $319k. Try to stay in Woodbridge proper, Iselin, or Colonia- most of the other areas (Avenel, Fords, Keasbey, etc) are going downhill or are already gone.

Bob

Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 26,654 times
Thanks for your input so far ! I guess Hoboken is out and rent more towards $ 2000. 2-3BR ?!
HOw are schools in Woodbridge ?
Are there rental townhomes/ app in Westfield / Cranford / sayreville that are nice ?
here in Houston housing is so affordable,really only lower income people love in app. ..

Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,472 times
You could do a rent in Sayreville around $1600--probably a private home, not a complex, would be your best bet. There are townhomes in Camelot at La Mer, but they run closer to $2000.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,459,731 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input so far ! I guess Hoboken is out and rent more towards $ 2000. 2-3BR ?!
HOw are schools in Woodbridge ?
Are there rental townhomes/ app in Westfield / Cranford / sayreville that are nice ?
here in Houston housing is so affordable,really only lower income people love in app. ..
There are a couple of 3br for rent in westfield and cranford around your range , there are also a few in clark (which borders both)

What does your hubby do at the airport ?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Stick to Westfield and Cranford! They are lovely, safe towns with a decent commute to Newark. I'd stay away from the other towns you mentioned. While Sayerville and Woodbridge are okay, I certainly wouldn't call them desirable. You should check out East Brunswick as well. Excellent schools and a good amount of rentals (homes, townhomes, and some condos).

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,986 times
Florham Park has nice apts. They used to be in your price range I don't know anymore. Called Avalon. I think the schools are shared with East Hanover. Decent area and the schools are pretty good. About a 25 minute drive to the airport if they finish the construction on Rt. 78.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 14,736 times
Quote:

Cranford
Westfield
Sayreville
Woodbridge

Any ideas ?
Thanks for Your advice !

If you want to check out the school systems, go to GreatSchools.net. This site is great as far as checking demographics as well as school test scores. It also gives you a percent of students receiving free and reduced lunches. That sort of tells you the type of area you will be moving into.

Out of all of the towns that you listed, Summit seems to be the best, but very pricey. You may want to look into other areas. Stay out of any of NJ's Abbott districts though. You can see those on the state website. Abbott Districts in NJ are low income places and seem to have a higher crime rate.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey