Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:45 PM

264 posts, read 877,853 times

Advertisements

I'm actually working on the medians..also have a good amount of real work to do but should have the list up by the weekend. Already did "the top 50", some schools have widish disparities between mean and median.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
your kids' SAT score certainly will matter depending on what schools they want to go to. but the average score of the school your kid went to will have little impact on your kids' SAT score. It's a standardized test. You can certainly send your kid to a school that may have a solid ability to teach to a standardized test - but most likely, it will be the same as everyone else that scores well on those tests - you will help your children prepare, and they'll get better scores than their peers who didn't have help.

now - will your kid have a higher GPA at Ridgewood or Millburn? Especially his/her junior year? That's a huge factor in many college admissions criteria.

There are many ways to get good SAT scores that have little to do with their 8-2pm in-class instruction. But their GPA scores have everything to do with that time and those teachers, along with what you do in your home.

To pick a school based on average SAT scores and not realize how easily those numbers can be skewed seems very simple minded to me.
Not the case, unfortunately your comments seem extremely short sighted and incredibly naive. Average SAT scores are a very good indicator of how the school system prepares its' students for this important test. That's why the average matters and it does make a big difference. Also, the school that you are getting the 4.0 GPA from matters almost as much as the number. To think otherwise is incredibly ignorant. A 4.0 from Ridgewood will carry more weight than a 4.0 from West Orange. That is a fact.

And by the way, a simple minded statement is saying that what happens in the classroom all day makes no difference on student performance. Sounds like little BradyKP will be a great candidate for home schooling and judging by where West Orange falls on this list he/she will probably be better off(sarcastic).

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 12-09-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Not the case, unfortunately your comments seem extremely short sighted and incredibly naive. Average SAT scores are a very good indicator of how the school system prepares its' students for this important test. That's why the average matters and it does make a big difference. Also, the school that you are getting the 4.0 GPA from matters almost as much as the number. To think otherwise is incredibly ignorant. A 4.0 from Ridgewood will carry more weight than a 4.0 from West Orange. That is a fact.

And by the way, a simple minded statement is saying that what happens in the classroom all day makes no difference on a student performance. Sounds like little BradyKP will be a great candidate for home schooling.
i dug up the post i was referring to up thread. do you not agree with this guy?

//www.city-data.com/forum/1141936-post12.html

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Completely wrong. Again.

Not sure why McNair Academy gets included but not the Monmouth County Academies.

High Tech High once again has the highest average SAT score in the state, at 2145 compared to 1875 at Princeton. Even Biotech has 1960 and beat the current #1 on the list in this thread.

America's Best High Schools - The Daily Beast

If you look at the best science and math schools in the country, High Tech was number one in the country yet gets ignored by every list made in the state.

U.S. News Releases Best Science and Math High School Rankings - STEM Education (usnews.com)

And four of the five Monmouth County academies (High Tech, Bio Tech, Allied Health and MAST making the top 150 in the country).

Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i've been told on this board a child is better off being an outstanding student in a mediocre district than being an above average student in an outstanding district when it comes to college acceptance. do you think your child(ren) can only get a high SAT score in a highly ranked SAT school?
I work at one of the truly exceptional schools. Our "mediocre" kids go to places like Cornell, Duke, the military academies, etc, year after year.

Meanwhile my daughter goes to a mediocre high school (IMO) and the one girl who broke 2300 last year did not get into the IL.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
% of Kids Taking SATs
99%: Holmdel, Northern Valley-Demarest, McNair Academic
96%: Millburn, New Providence, Northern Highlands-Allendale
93%: West Windsor Plainsboro South, West Windsor Plainsboro North, Ramsey
92%: Chatham, Ridge, Haddonfield, Glen Rock, Pascack Hills, Governor Livingston
91%: Ramapo
90%: Ridgewood, Northern Valley-Old Tappan, Whippany Park, Mahwah
89%: Montgomery, J.P Stevens, Glen Ridge, Watchung Hills
88%: Westfield, Summit, Marlboro
87%: Cherry Hill East, Moorestown, East Brunswick, Indian Hills
86%: Tenafly, Madison, Bridgewater-Raritan, Randolph
85%: Princeton, Livingston, West Morris Mendham, Hopewell Valley Central, Hunterdon Central, Montville
84%: Mountain Lakes, Cresskill
83%: North Hunterdon, West Morris Central
81%: Bernards, Hillsborough
80%: Middletown South, Eastern Regional
79%: Voorhees
Again you left out all the Academies beside McNair. Why?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i dug up the post i was referring to up thread. do you not agree with this guy?

//www.city-data.com/forum/1141936-post12.html
I don't agree with that quote at all. I have no idea what kind of admission counselor he/she is but that statement is ridiculous. The top high schools in the country(both public and private) maintain relationships with admission boards at top universities, particularly the Ivy league. A wife of a good friend works in the counseling office at a top New England private school. Harvard gets 23,000 applications and accepts less than 10%, do you think its a coincidence that 20% of this private schools graduating class gets accepted there?

Now, if you are comparing a middle class kid and poor kid the poor kid will win out no question, schools do have quotas regardless of what they put on their admission page.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I work at one of the truly exceptional schools. Our "mediocre" kids go to places like Cornell, Duke, the military academies, etc, year after year.

Meanwhile my daughter goes to a mediocre high school (IMO) and the one girl who broke 2300 last year did not get into the IL.
EXACTLY!!! People are so naive.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
And some of the schools that don't require it happen to be some of the top rated schools in the nation. So - one can draw their own conclusions.

i acknowledge that we need to have a way to compare students on an "even keel", and that's where standardized tests come into play. It's the best tool we have available, which is why a majority of schools use it. It's hardly the only criteria that college admissions offices use though, so why should it be the only criteria we use in rating a high school?

so yes - i think the opinion i expressed is that SAT is not the only criteria..sorry if that wasn't clear. i think virtually every college admissions board looks at more than solely SAT scores.

p.s. - i'm a numbers guy too. I work in IT and Audit. which is the primary reason why i point out the weakness in using solely average SAT scores to rank an isntitution.
These "other" things really only matter when you have applicants who have statistically even SAT or ACT scores. Two of my students who applied to MIT last year had similar sat scores (2350 and 2330), similar ethnic backgrounds, the exact same coursework and gpa, and the only difference, on paper, were the extra curriculars. The one with more leadership positions in extracurriculars got in and the other did not.

So yes, I agree other things matter, but only if you have the scores to be put into consideration. It maybe useful to group schools with similar SAT scores (and obviously similar standard deviations which no one has yet mentioned as the best metric to describe variability) and then apply those other measures you mention to differentiate within the group. But SAT is obviously the primary consideration.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
I'm actually working on the medians..also have a good amount of real work to do but should have the list up by the weekend. Already did "the top 50", some schools have widish disparities between mean and median.
If you have the actual raw data just figure out the standard deviation and p-value already and then we will not definitively whether or not they are statistically, significantly different. Medians are as pointless for discussing variability as averages UNLESS you have run some sort of test for significance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey