Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
I don't agree. I do think that schools look at SATS as part of the overall picture, but I think they also take into account classes (did the student take difficult courses?), grades, extracurricular activities, etc.

For example, if a student in Newark goes to a terrible school, is poor, has a difficult home life, but is an excellent student and participates in activities, takes as many difficult classes as possible, but has lower SAT scores because the education simply isn't as good, I think colleges will definitely take that into consideration. They'll probably be more impressed with that student than some spoiled cheerleader from Millburn. I would be.
I like where your heart is but the truth is otherwise. it's a catch22. Poor performing schools do 'offer' difficult classes but are poorly supported and/or are taught by teachers who are frustrated, angry, indifferent, etc., so even in AP type of environments, it's a sub par course. I know it because I experienced it growing up in the NYC school system. While colleges do take special circumstances into consideration, they also don't want to place a student into a system that will likely have them struggle from the get go. College can be stressful enough without so much other baggage. It's likely that the resources
of that 'spoiled cheerleader from Millburn' will land her a spot in a pretty darn good school. Like it or not, the spoiled cheerleader from Millburn still deserves an opportunity to attend whatever schools is earned....the dilemma is how do we get the kid from the struggling school district to get the same chance to perform?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM

133 posts, read 502,770 times
I love this ranking.....it is solid. I hate that NJ Monthly gives less weight to school's whose percentage of kids end up going to a 2 year college than a 4 year and therefore ranked even lower than a school with lower SAT scores....that always annoyed me. Just because a percentage of kids in a certain school district go off to a 2 year school first (community college) does not mean they are not as smart as a kid that goes to a 4 year school....That is why SAT scores are important. What if the family is trying to save money by sending them to a 2 year?...That was always my pet peeve with NJ Monthly rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey