Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 PM

43 posts, read 199,191 times

Advertisements

Looking for places to move. I'm from NJ, I love NJ and I live in FL.

Ringwood seems to have a nice balance of nature and proximity to civilization. It is also close to Ramapo College, if I am correct? I have the idea in my head that it is really expensive there. Is that true? I saw some houses on a real estate site that were very reasonably priced; is there a bad section of town?

In general, what kind of people live there? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating_family View Post
Looking for places to move. I'm from NJ, I love NJ and I live in FL.

Ringwood seems to have a nice balance of nature and proximity to civilization. It is also close to Ramapo College, if I am correct? I have the idea in my head that it is really expensive there. Is that true? I saw some houses on a real estate site that were very reasonably priced; is there a bad section of town?

In general, what kind of people live there? Thanks in advance.
No, it's not overly expensive, not compared to the neighboring Bergen County towns. I don't think there's a bad section of town. My cousin lives there. I don't know her all that well because she's somewhat younger than I am, but she's a fine upstanding churchgoing citizen with three kids and an accountant husband. Last I checked, anyway.

I think your sentence that I bolded describes Ringwood very well.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:45 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,491 times
Default A great link!

Here's a great link for you: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info! I will check it out.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating_family View Post
Thanks for the info! I will check it out.
Check taxes carefully. Ringwood has a reputation for very high property taxes due to a preponderance of watershed property and a lack of commercial ratables.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM

88 posts, read 228,700 times
I was born and raised in Ringwood, and though I haven't lived there since 1990, my parents are still there and I am back several times a year. I think your perception is more or less accurate. It is pretty close to Ramapo, but as for proximity to civilization, you will have to define civilization. It's more or less 20-30 minutes car ride to things like malls, decent restaurants, movie theaters. And in the winter it's a heck of a drive over Skyline Drive or a longer one down Ringwood Ave. We aren't as isolated as West Milford, if you have ever been there, but compared to some other towns in the area like Oakland or Wayne or even Pompton Lakes, we're farther away.

Property prices are lower than many towns in the area but for sure property tax rates are higher than you would expect, simply because there is no other real source of revenue for the town (no industry, no big business, etc). That is definitely something I'd check out before buying. I think my parents pay $9000 a year on a 3 bedroom 2 bath crappy house that hasn't been renovated in 25 years, and not much property.

Fwiw, there isn't really a bad section of town. Well, there is one but houses are all family-owned there and houses aren't ever on the market, so any neighborhood will be fine. However, some are more isolated than others (well, Stonetown is). But you won't be unsafe in any of them and all the schools are the same in terms of stats (plus everyone attends the same school starting in 4th or 5th nowadays).

Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the insider info! I'm traveling up there next week to see it for myself; to get a feel for the town. Not surprised about the property taxes, this is NJ we are talking about

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy1971 View Post
Fwiw, there isn't really a bad section of town. Well, there is one but houses are all family-owned there and houses aren't ever on the market, so any neighborhood will be fine. However, some are more isolated than others (well, Stonetown is). But you won't be unsafe in any of them and all the schools are the same in terms of stats (plus everyone attends the same school starting in 4th or 5th nowadays).

Cutting through the political correctness, she is referring to the Jackson White section of town. It is its own separate area and isolated from the rest of the town. They are a quasi Native American group (unrecognized by the US government).

Not bad people, but the comparison to them would be rednecks or hillbillies. If you were looking at a house in that section of town you would know it (and like they said, its a small, closed community and the houses dont go on the market)

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Cutting through the political correctness, she is referring to the Jackson White section of town. It is its own separate area and isolated from the rest of the town. They are a quasi Native American group (unrecognized by the US government).

Not bad people, but the comparison to them would be rednecks or hillbillies. If you were looking at a house in that section of town you would know it (and like they said, its a small, closed community and the houses dont go on the market)
Ringwood has changed alot too, there are many multi million dollar houses now in RIngwood, people who built palaces and not too far from the hillbillies!! I guess they wanted to be the biggest and the best but could not afford to do it in Franklin Lakes. THe ironic part is their taxes would have been so much cheaper in Franklin Lakes with no JW's or HBillies!! They WANTED THE INSTANT GRATIFACTION OF THE big house and LOWER PURCHASE PRICE COMPARED TO FRANKLIN LAKES, wonder how they feel now!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey