Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
and take the wife to dinner with the savings

Haha! I am the wife! My husband just isn't a very handy man despite his best efforts. Everytime he hangs something (curtains, baby gate, etc.), there are two holes in the wall instead of one. It is a running joke.

I called my dad in FL and sent him pics. He thinks he can talk us through it.

Great idea on the youtube videos! Maybe between all this help, we can really do this ourselves. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Last leaky faucet I had I simply replaced the entire faucet for $150. Yes I "could" have done it for MUCH cheaper but I wanted to upgrade anyway and i used the leak as my excuse to myself.

Took me about 2 hours as I had to remove all the crap that accumulated under the sink, did not have the proper faucet wrench and don't exactly fit easily inside the cabinet. But otherwise painless and easy.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
I have gotten replacement parts for my American Standard faucets free of charge, they have a lifetime guarantee. I'm thinking Kohler is the same. If the plumber is charging for these parts, he may be ripping you off.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 AM

179 posts, read 465,632 times
OK ...... call your local Home Depot/ Lowes..........ask to speak to someone who is knowledgeable in the Plumbing Dept. explain your situation, if they feel they can help you ,Take a pic of your faucet, The make and model # pay them a visit. if they don't have the part , they can order it, also you can call the Mfg. and they can tell you how to fix it... and last, but not least, People in the box stores can recommend someone who is good and reasonable. Sometimes they make house calls themsleves, Also it is an easy job , for someone who has the knowledge.

Good Luck

Last edited by classic1956cars; 01-12-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM

453 posts, read 1,742,369 times
Having both repaired and replaced many of these faucets, I agree that it's much better to do it yourself. However, if you really don't have a clue how to do it, you can get into a lot of trouble quickly.

Sometimes trying to install repair parts (cartridges, balls, o-rings, seats and springs, etc.) just isn't worth it, and you can swap out the whole unit with a shiny new fixture, especially if it has seen better days and is loaded with encrusted mineral deposits from hard water.

I'm also not convinced that the more expensive designer units from the supply houses last any longer than the consumer models in the home centers. Stick with Delta, American Standard, Kohler or Moen and you can't go too wrong. They are easier to install then then used to be, primarily because they got smart and replaced those annoying brass nuts (that required a special basin wrench) with plastic nuts that can be tightened by hand. However, you still need a basic comfort with connections, basic tools, patience, and a willingness to read and follow the directions.

You also need to be willing to climb into a very tight space, get on your back, and look up with a light, tools, etc., which not everyone is comfortable doing. If so, I'd talk to a few other local plumbers. There's a pretty good chance you'll need to call him or her back afterwards, or need them for something else down the road. Buy the fixtures you want and get a price just to install them.

Rhys

Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
It is a bit much to fix a faucet, but a plumber needs to be paid for their labor. But for something that simple, I would do it myself.

I had replaced my kitchen faucet myself. I first checked how the old faucet connected to the water system. I bought a faucet for $120 and a basin wrench for $15. It was tough and uncomfortable being under the sink. I made sure to wear goggles and used a pillow for my back.

It depends on what you want. If you don't mind spending an afternoon working on it. There are plenty of books and info on the web that tell you how to fix a leaky faucet.

I would only call a plumber for major problems like if a pipe bursts or the sewage line backs up.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I had this issue with one of my faucets. I used the information on the link below and did it myself. The $300 is not outrageous. he is probably charging you a day rate even though the work will take only an hour or so. PS Service magic charges $75 just to show up and appraise the situation, then parts , then labor.

Fixing a Leaky Faucet | Bathroom Sinks | Bathrooms | This Old House - 1
ditto, this is the first thing i fixed myself as a landlord. Also used a youtube video then went to home depot and bought the replacement parts for $10. It was easy 10 min work and i am not handy at all.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post

You also need to be willing to climb into a very tight space, get on your back, and look up with a light, tools, etc., which not everyone is comfortable doing. If so, I'd talk to a few other local plumbers. There's a pretty good chance you'll need to call him or her back afterwards, or need them for something else down the road. Buy the fixtures you want and get a price just to install them.

Rhys
Yes. I love tinkering but my husband and I are getting up in years and not as slim as we used to be.
We moved to a condo.

For an easy job we also looked for people advertising as Handyman rather than plumbers. They usually charge less and there seem to be more of them around with the economy so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey