Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM

292 posts, read 719,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
or this
That map is BS, the maker or it needs to get out more or read more.

1) Bergen County is a melting pot as much as Essex County if not more so, west Essex is all italian where as suburban Bergen is a combo of Jews, Italians, and yes whites but between Teaneck, Englewood, Hackensack, and Fort Lee its a melting pot.

2) Morris County is Christie country, but Sussex and Warren are ultra-conservative. The "retired hippies" are in West Milford, that is Passaic County. Also, other than Lake Hopatcong, most of Morris County consists of people who likely make anywhere from $40,000 to $250,000 per year and live in nice suburban homes. Most of Morris County is white, with some Jews and many Italian, Irish, and Polish people

3) AC is "sad black people" really? Okay whatever I don't know enough to comment really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
The guy who made the map did it after having a job that required him to travel all over the state and played on stereotypes. It was never meant to be taken seriously

Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM

271 posts, read 1,020,416 times
Didn't know Italians are part of "poor minorities".

Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,021 times
Who dreamed up this "Central Jersey"? I lived in NJ for 42 years from the mid-60's, and when I was growing up I never heard anyone refer to a region called "Central Jersey". To me, it a cop out, a way to associate yourself with the "best" aspects of north or south Jersey depending on the circumstances.

AFAIC there's a line somewhere around Trenton that divides NJ into north and south. Where would the boundaries of this mythical "Central Jersey" be, if it in fact existed?

In the late 70s/early 80s, there was a talk for south Jersey to secede from NJ (not that anyone really thought this would happen). But again, it begs the point, there was never any mention of this "Central Jersey", just north and south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...als#New_Jersey

Last edited by atebit; 07-26-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,086,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atebit View Post
Who dreamed up this "Central Jersey"? I lived in NJ for 42 years from the mid-60's, and when I was growing up I never heard anyone refer to a region called "Central Jersey". To me, it a cop out, a way to associate yourself with the "best" aspects of north or south Jersey depending on the circumstances.

AFAIC there's a line somewhere around Trenton that divides NJ into north and south. Where would the boundaries of this mythical "Central Jersey" be, if it in fact existed?

In the late 70s/early 80s, there was a talk for south Jersey to secede from NJ (not that anyone really thought this would happen). But again, it begs the point, there was never any mention of this "Central Jersey", just north and south.

List of U.S. state partition proposals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As more people moved out of North Jersey, "Central Jersey" was created to give the former farm areas some kind of identity.

There's no definitive border but I'd say it's Somerset, Middlesex, Monmouth, Mercer and Ocean.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM

225 posts, read 352,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atebit View Post

List of U.S. state partition proposals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Central Jersey is real because no one else claims this area as part of their own. I grew up around the Princeton area and when I tell people from North Jersey this they think I am from South Jersey. Likewise when I tell people from South Jersey where I grew up they think I am from North Jersey. What do you do when no one identifies with your area? You create your own identity. A few decades ago there may not have been a Central Jersey but today, if you walk around downtown Princeton and ask the locals if they are from North or South Jersey I guarantee you they will say "neither." There are no official borders to North and South Jersey even though people seem to think there are. A generally agreed upon line doesn't make it official, so in the absence of that, it really comes down to what the locals call themselves. Where I grew up, everyone said that they were from Central Jersey.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
Central Jersey is real because no one else claims this area as part of their own. I grew up around the Princeton area and when I tell people from North Jersey this they think I am from South Jersey. Likewise when I tell people from South Jersey where I grew up they think I am from North Jersey. What do you do when no one identifies with your area? You create your own identity. A few decades ago there may not have been a Central Jersey but today, if you walk around downtown Princeton and ask the locals if they are from North or South Jersey I guarantee you they will say "neither." There are no official borders to North and South Jersey even though people seem to think there are. A generally agreed upon line doesn't make it official, so in the absence of that, it really comes down to what the locals call themselves. Where I grew up, everyone said that they were from Central Jersey.
Probably the area where you get both the Philly & NYC channels

Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
You're exactly right that it's all perspective based. I was born and raised in South Jersey, Camden County to be exact. A good friend of mine was born and raised in North Jersey, Rockaway in Morris County. To him, he defined "South Jersey" as starting at where the car and truck lanes on the Turnpike used to merge north of 8A. To me, I defined "North Jersey" as being pretty much anything north of Exit 7. So, there you go. "Central Jersey" is everything between Exit 7 and 8A on the Turnpike. It's where our 'perspectives' from a true north and south point of observation overlap.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You're exactly right that it's all perspective based. I was born and raised in South Jersey, Camden County to be exact. A good friend of mine was born and raised in North Jersey, Rockaway in Morris County. To him, he defined "South Jersey" as starting at where the car and truck lanes on the Turnpike used to merge north of 8A. To me, I defined "North Jersey" as being pretty much anything north of Exit 7. So, there you go. "Central Jersey" is everything between Exit 7 and 8A on the Turnpike. It's where our 'perspectives' from a true north and south point of observation overlap.
It goes at least to exit 12. Geographically speaking, that's roughly south of Route 287 to somewhere just south of Route 195...or thereabouts.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
It goes at least to exit 12. Geographically speaking, that's roughly south of Route 287 to somewhere just south of Route 195...or thereabouts.
I agree with a lot of the definitions offered so far and your county list was pretty accurate, it was just an attempt at brevity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey