Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlajos View Post
christie is a jackass, like most in the gop.
you're racist!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
CaptainNJ, I need to get headed home, but something just crossed my mind. Do you think that homosexuals CHOOSE to be homosexual or do you believe that they simply ARE homosexual?

I've asked this question in other threads and whenever the debate comes up. What I've found is that people who don't believe in things like equal rights for gays, specifically the right to marry, also tend to believe that gays CHOOSE to be that way. On the reverse, most people who support those rights, believe that gays simply ARE who they are.

I think it's an interesting question. If we believe it is a choice then it is more understandable that people would be willing to deny people certain rights that go against the grain, simply because since it's a choice, it doesn't need to be rewarded. On the other hand, if we believe that they are simply who they are, then we are punishing them for no other reason than existing, a far shakier ground.

That last part is always fun to use on the ones who argue from religion, well if God made people and you think being gay is genetic, then God made gay people, right? That usually gets them going, lol.

Seriously though, I think they are simply who they are and were born to be. Much psychological research has gone into this, but there appears to be a genetic component to one being gay and it is not really a choice. Basically, people are born and their sexual preference is on a spectrum from 100% homo to 100% hetero. The majority fall inbetween with strong leanings one way or the other. Some are 100% to either extreme and still others are split 50/50 down the middle. Think of Ron White's bit when he is talking to his redneck friend/brother about how everyone is "a little gay".

Old 02-24-2012, 03:27 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
I heard Chris Christie vetoed the Gay Marriage bill AND ...

Dumb and Dumber We Landed on the Moon! - YouTube

Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM

35 posts, read 126,382 times
do you have anything better to do than to just hate on a group of people that hasn't done squat to you? i understand if you don't like somebody because they did you dirty or whatever but a group of people because of a certain harmless characteristic. are you serious?

angry/nation: I have never denigrated gay people. I want marriage to be the traditional relationship/definition it has been for more than 2000 years -- between a man and a woman. I believe that marriage is the bedrock foundation of a stable society, and the best environment in which to raise children. This has nothing to do with gay people personally. I have already strongly emphasized that civil unions are an absolute must for gay people. Why must you accuse those who advocate for traditional fundamental/historical values regarding marriage as haters? It weakens your argument and makes you seem hysterical, rather than respectful of viewpoints that differ from yours.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
CaptainNJ, I need to get headed home, but something just crossed my mind. Do you think that homosexuals CHOOSE to be homosexual or do you believe that they simply ARE homosexual?

I've asked this question in other threads and whenever the debate comes up. What I've found is that people who don't believe in things like equal rights for gays, specifically the right to marry, also tend to believe that gays CHOOSE to be that way. On the reverse, most people who support those rights, believe that gays simply ARE who they are.
i havent given it lots of thought, but i basically think of it as a genetic defect but one that someone could choose to overcome. you may be predisposed to homosexuality, but you could choose to live a normal life and still be happy.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i havent given it lots of thought, but i basically think of it as a genetic defect but one that someone could choose to overcome. you may be predisposed to homosexuality, but you could choose to live a normal life and still be happy.
Not sure how gays would accept them being called "defective." But I don't think anyone would necessarily choose to be gay. It's not easy, especially on teenagers

Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Right. And you could choose to be homosexual and be happy.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM

292 posts, read 718,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have a question.

Bob and Bill live next door in one of the nicest and best kept homes in the neighborhood.
Bob and Bill are not married but they are gay.
Bob helps me work on my car.
Bill helps my wife with decorating and cooking ideas.
Bob and Bill throw the greatest neighborhood parties every year and all the neighbors are invited and most attend.
Bob and Bill do not invite all their gay friends because it is just a neighborhood party.
If Bob and Bill decide to get married how is that going to affect my life?
Should I stop going to their parties?
Should I just mind my own business like I do now or should I be an ass and stop being friends with them?
Bob and Bill are already entitled to a civil union
Bob and Bill deserve domestic partnership rights
Bob and Bill have a different relationship than the one you have with your wife, calling it the same is just silly
Bob and Bill deserve equal rights, but their relationship deserves its own uniqueness to it, so call it a civil union

Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Right. And you could choose to be homosexual and be happy.
thank god nobody is pushing me to do that!

i would compare it more to a pedophile choosing the be with an adult rather than a child. you wouldnt accept that behavior just because the person has that preference. you would expect them to modify their behavior. i know thats an offensive comparison and isnt equivalent because there is a victim with pedophilia, but it was the quickest one i could come up with that i felt makes sense.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
thank god nobody is pushing me to do that!

i would compare it more to a pedophile choosing the be with an adult rather than a child. you wouldnt accept that behavior just because the person has that preference. you would expect them to modify their behavior. i know thats an offensive comparison and isnt equivalent because there is a victim with pedophilia, but it was the quickest one i could come up with that i felt makes sense.
If you really feel that comparison makes sense I don't think you are capable of a rational discussion on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey