Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 28,054 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We were looking to buy a house in Ridgewood/Glen Rock/Ramsey, but almost by accident, we've found a wonderfull house, extremelly well priced in Saddle River, very close to ho-ho-kus. The house is very special, solid as a rock, would make a great investment, and the taxes are incredibly low compared to the neighboring towns. Now, not being millionaires, we feel intimidated by the surrounding mansions.
I've also reserched online, and the public elementary school seems to be a very good school with a lot of sports and some extracurricular activities. I can tell for the town feeling we won't find too much sense of community in Saddle River, but I'm hoping I'm wrong on that... I would appreciate any input anyone can give me about this. I also understand many activities are shared with ho-ho-kus and Ramsey towns, am I right? Any information about community activities, summer camps, sport teams, pools to join, etc, would be highly appreciated.
We are a family with two kids, and I'm also concerned about the enviroment in the school... I mean, I love the house and the taxes and the town is very charming, but I don't want to move my kids to a school where they may feel excluded or inferior in any way, will this be the case? They also have a private school in saddle river, and a handfull of a little more modest homes around, could it be the case that the millioners are sending their kids to the private school and the public school is a wonderfull comunity, full of kind and down to earth kids with involved "hands-on" Parents, not to say that the multi millionaires aren't but hopefully I am making myself understood?
Thank you in advance for your help with this sensible topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 05:55 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I think you will be fine. People are people, and your new neighbors will each be individuals with their own histories, problems and triumphs in life, just like you. I can understand your trepidation, but I say go for it and don't put too much emphasis on outer trappings, real or perceived. There will be people there who think as you do and hold similar view on life as you do, and you will find them.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM

205 posts, read 693,058 times
There are a lot of wealthy people in that town, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The people that I know who have kids in that school do enjoy it. I have a friend who lives in Ho-Ho-Kus whose house is currently for sale. Once it sells, she is considering staying in town, or moving to Saddle River... all depends on the house she finds.

Here is information about the school (lifted from the Wandell school website)

Wandell School serves pre-kindergarten through fifth grade students. Upon promotion from the fifth grade, students are tuitioned to Eric Smith Middle School in Ramsey, New Jersey. Following graduation from eight grade students have a chioce of two of New Jersey's finest high schools; Northern Highlands H.S. in Allendale and Ramsey H.S. in Ramsey, New Jersey. Click on the links www.northernhighlands.org and www.ramsey.k12.nj.us to find out more information about their extraordinary programs.

How much do you love the house? If it feels like home, you can make any town your home. Just don't want you to have to live through "the one that got away" if you really aren't seeing anything you like better. That said, there is always another house coming onto the market...

Old 02-27-2012, 02:36 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,070 times
If you can afford it go for it. I love Saddle River and would love to live there. You won't be sorry and enjoy.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:57 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,802 times
I think SR is quite lovely. The one thing, unless I completely missed it, is that unlike the towns you started with they don't have a downtown/walking space. However, it does seem you get more bang for your buck and the lots are quite nice.

The only other comment I would have is to make sure you know exactly why it's so aggressively reduced?

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM

367 posts, read 960,170 times
OP,
Great town and the house seems to be a great find. Ask about services such as leaf pick-up, garbage pick-up etc which most towns provide. You may be paying for these yourself. You may also have well water and a septic system instead of municipal water and sewers. Not really problems but potential extra costs you'll want to consider. Again, great find and good luck with your move.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Affordable in Saddle River? There has to be a story. For instance, if a house sold in 2002 for over $1MM and is now on the market for $799K in "as is" condition with buyer responsible for CO and everything else I'd be asking lots of questions to both my real estate agent and any neighbor that will talk to me.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Just make sure that "make a great investment" isn't an important driver in your decision. Buy for the house/town, and if it turns out to be a good investment, that is gravy.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM

7 posts, read 28,054 times
Thank you all for your comments. For better or worse we couldn't get the house, it became a bidding war. Looking into a nice property in hohokus now, anyone know if they have a summer camp program in this town and what are the differences between the west and east side of route 17? The house we like is close to the school and I like that fact a lot, but we find the whole area very congested, specially Hollywood ave, there are trucks crossing all the time and, the house is not on that street but about 5 houses away, and I'm wondering if the fact of all those busy streets around route 17 would make the area less desirable, I'm hoping we'll find kids playing and riding bikes around... Any comments about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey