Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 18,130 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent grad who accepted a job for 35 k in Edison, NJ. Will this be enough to live on if I am looking to live by myself or with a roommate in Edison (or around Edison)? Does anyone know what the cost of living would be here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Having a room mate will make it easier, without a doubt. Rent for a decent apartment will be close to $1,000/month, and then you'll add utilities, food, gas, car note/credit card payments if you have them, etc. It won't be easy on $35k unless you're pretty frugal, IMO.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,527 times
Yes for $35K you will need a roommate. Most apartments in this area are close to $1,000 a month. You want to try to make in a week what you will be paying in a month, so you can at least have some savings.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Are there places to live that are cheaper in NJ other than Edison?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:44 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbuggy View Post
Are there places to live that are cheaper in NJ other than Edison?

Sure, but the overall desirability of a locale is the market force that drives prices:

If you are willing to move to a very rural location and travel further to work, that might get you a lower rent, but ultimately you will eat up the rent savings (and more) with higher gasoline and car maintenance expenses (and possibly, tolls). How far are you willing to travel?

Or, you could look at areas with a higher crime rate, as they tend to have lower rental costs in many cases. If you want to rent fairly close to Edison, you might want to look in Perth Amboy or New Brunswick, as the rents there will be a bit lower. The trade-off, however, is a higher crime rate.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 AM

156 posts, read 369,864 times
You can check the apartment listing sight for the middlesex county area they have all the listings and a rating on the apartments prices ,safety ,parking .The local newspaper gives you a lot of them on sundays also .You can try North Brunswick area they are safer cheaper apartments a long route 1 >I lived in Edison for a long time and have friends who live in Blueberry Village apartments .Just type on the internet for apartment listings for middlesex county and it will give you the info .You can also check by just typing in Middlesex County and they have listings with the cost of rents .

Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm mostly worried about cost + safety. I'll look into north brunswick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey