Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

personally, I think the hype is overblown and I would buy a house near the power lines.

HOWEVER, it would need to be discounted to reflect that the location is not ideal and many buyers will be scared off. I also wouldnt buy anything above 350k or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly04 View Post
Any thoughts?
I don't think they're a safety problem. But they are ugly. They can be noisy -- especially on humid days, you get a constant crackling from high voltage lines. And they can interfere with radio and TV.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 AM

179 posts, read 465,676 times
Think of Health issues first then think of re-sale, Location ! Location ! Good Luck

Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 AM

532 posts, read 1,465,258 times
I would pass.
Interest rates are so low.
30 year 3.75%
100k= $463.12 per month
How much more expensive would a house that suits you and not near he High Tension wires be ?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
this thread reminds me of this small development with houses that look very nice, but are right near a railroad (with some having the tracks right behind their homes). i dont care how nice the house is, there is no way id ever live there.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
There is also the issue of the Susquehanna Roseland power line project. To my understanding, this is a major project where PSE&G wants to add towers and also make the existing towers 3 times taller than they currently are. This project affects a chain of towers along a route that goes from PA to NJ. In NJ, the towers affected go through many towns...from north west Jersey in Hardwick, going eastward all the way to East Hanover and Roseland.

So, in other words, in addition to worrying about the power lines themselves, you also have to worry about what the government and public utility is going to do with them in the future.

And from what I've read, they won't reimburse home owners for lowered property values resulting from these 3X taller towers.

To add insult to injury, I think I also read that all of this is to increase PSE&G's profits by providing additional power...to NEW YORK.
That line is unfortunately necessary to keep up with consumption in NJ and NY Metro area. My father works for PPL, and they'll benefit far more than PSE&G will, because they are the ones actually generating the power.

I'm all for reduced power lines and transmission, but you have to reduce demand for that to happen. And that's probably not going to happen.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
That line is unfortunately necessary to keep up with consumption in NJ and NY Metro area. My father works for PPL, and they'll benefit far more than PSE&G will, because they are the ones actually generating the power.

I'm all for reduced power lines and transmission, but you have to reduce demand for that to happen. And that's probably not going to happen.
Yeah, I know you're right. Makes me curious about the increased demand. Are people being more extravagant in their power useage, even in these "greening" times? Or do we have that much more people on the grid in general? I suppose it's both.

I am really anal about the power in my house. It's to the point that if I'm watching television or screwing around on the internet, EVERY SINGLE LIGHT in the house is turned off because there is no need for light when you have the warm glow of the TV or laptop screen.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 PM

328 posts, read 1,049,753 times
I fell completely in love with a house that had a high tension power line on it's property. We didn't even make an offer. I still think about how great that house was and I still know I made the right decision. In fact, I won't send my kids to Hillsborough public schools which are rated very well but most of them have high tension power lines on property and that's a deal breaker for me. Kids spend a lot of time in those buildings!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
I seem to recall reading that most countries in Europe have higher standards regarding the amount of EMF they consider okay vs the US.
Its one of those things that will forever be said that no one can prove anything, but they always warn people not to use electric blankets anymore, especially if you're having kids.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Yeah, I know you're right. Makes me curious about the increased demand. Are people being more extravagant in their power useage, even in these "greening" times? Or do we have that much more people on the grid in general? I suppose it's both.

I am really anal about the power in my house. It's to the point that if I'm watching television or screwing around on the internet, EVERY SINGLE LIGHT in the house is turned off because there is no need for light when you have the warm glow of the TV or laptop screen.
Didn't your mother ever tell you that you can go blind watching TV in the dark?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey