Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 PM

23 posts, read 138,231 times

Advertisements

Which one of these places would be best for commuting to WTC area?

Livingston : As far as I know, I will need a second car (currently have 1 car, and I'll need to leave that at home for my wife and daughter), drive to harrison, park at PATH train station, take the PATH to WTC. Commute time door to door is around 1-1:15. Cost : Cost of 2nd car, $175/month parking, $60/month insurance, $60/month gas, $65/month PATH train = #360/month

Chatham/Summit :

Option A) Take a train ride to penn station, then take A train to WTC, 2 hours commute time, Cost : $284/month nj transit, $104/month newyork subway = $388/month.
Option B) Take a train ride to hoboken, then take the PATH to WTC, 1.5 hours commute time, Cost : $248/month nj transit, $65/month PATH train = $310/month.

Of all these options, Chatham seems more reasonable for A) Better schools, B) Better commute, C) Cheaper commute (no 2nd car necessary).

Our budget is around 500k-550k, we have a 1.5 year old. Need some advice Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 04:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig83 View Post
Which one of these places would be best for commuting to WTC area?

Livingston : As far as I know, I will need a second car (currently have 1 car, and I'll need to leave that at home for my wife and daughter), drive to harrison, park at PATH train station, take the PATH to WTC. Commute time door to door is around 1-1:15. Cost : Cost of 2nd car, $175/month parking, $60/month insurance, $60/month gas, $65/month PATH train = #360/month

Chatham/Summit :

Option A) Take a train ride to penn station, then take A train to WTC, 2 hours commute time, Cost : $284/month nj transit, $104/month newyork subway = $388/month.
Option B) Take a train ride to hoboken, then take the PATH to WTC, 1.5 hours commute time, Cost : $248/month nj transit, $65/month PATH train = $310/month.

Of all these options, Chatham seems more reasonable for A) Better schools, B) Better commute, C) Cheaper commute (no 2nd car necessary).

Our budget is around 500k-550k, we have a 1.5 year old. Need some advice Thanks!

When comparing these towns be sure to also include the property taxes...Taxes in Livingston on a $500,000 home is right around $10,000 per year, a $500,000 home in Summit is around $8,000 and in Chatham it will be around $7,700. (approx the same for Madison)

You should also know that there are very few single family homes in your price range within walking distance to the train station in Summit. (there are some wonderful condo's though) You will find some nice homes in your price range within walking distances to either the Chatham or Madison train stations.

KoalaNJ

(for what it is worth, I am concerned with your estimates on car insurance, I think it is very low.)

Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Livingston does have transit service if you're interested: NJ Bus map for Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren Counties

Depending on where you live, you could be near the #71 or #73 bus to Orange and take the train from there (the rail pass is valid on the bus at no extra charge).

The schedules are here:
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0071.pdf
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0073.pdf

They also go all the way to Newark Penn Station and connect directly to the PATH, though that might take longer because you're either dealing with traffic on I-280 or with local streets, so you're probably better off transferring to the train.

The fare to Newark is $85 per month.

A monthly pass from Orange to Hoboken (also valid on the bus) will be $169.

But of course, test it out to see if you can handle the commute.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
When comparing these towns be sure to also include the property taxes...Taxes in Livingston on a $500,000 home is right around $10,000 per year, a $500,000 home in Summit is around $8,000 and in Chatham it will be around $7,700. (approx the same for Madison)

You should also know that there are very few single family homes in your price range within walking distance to the train station in Summit. (there are some wonderful condo's though) You will find some nice homes in your price range within walking distances to either the Chatham or Madison train stations.

KoalaNJ

(for what it is worth, I am concerned with your estimates on car insurance, I think it is very low.)
Sorry, I didn't give the whole picture. My wife doesn't work, she'll be driving me to the train station everyday, as long as the house is within 2-3 miles of the station, it's fine.

The liability insurance for a beater honda civic won't be over $300-400/6 months for me, I have got excellent driving history.

We can comfortably afford 600 in fact even 700k home with what I make, we just want to play safe as this is our first house, schools are important so is the low crime rate and commute to work, if for those I have to pay another $500/month for mortgage, so be it.

I am really not a fan of driving to harrison from livingston everyday, get a second car, pay %25 more property taxes, and still not live near a good school district (livingston's schools are ranked 20). I can see the houses in livingston are newer, bigger, and better, but I guess life is a compromise.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Livingston does have transit service if you're interested: NJ Bus map for Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren Counties

Depending on where you live, you could be near the #71 or #73 bus to Orange and take the train from there (the rail pass is valid on the bus at no extra charge).

The schedules are here:
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0071.pdf
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0073.pdf

They also go all the way to Newark Penn Station and connect directly to the PATH, though that might take longer because you're either dealing with traffic on I-280 or with local streets, so you're probably better off transferring to the train.

The fare to Newark is $85 per month.

A monthly pass from Orange to Hoboken (also valid on the bus) will be $169.

But of course, test it out to see if you can handle the commute.
Thanks, I actually was told (//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...e-wtc-nyc.html) the bus in livingston/west orange is unreliable, slow, and should not be relied on as a permanent commute choice. My first thread on this forum was about commuting from livingston and bus system and I saw some very strong reactions about how it takes 1 hour for the bus to get to newark and how I should get a second car and drive to harrison instead.

Honestly taking the nj rail transit to hoboken and then walking 100ft to PATH train and taking the train to WTC (a ridiculous 7 minute ride) sounds a lot better than anything I can think of.

Say if the livingston were to have the BEST schools and then things would have been different, then for my daughter I'd make a sacrifice and go through all that trouble for commuting, but you see the schools there are average at best (compared to top schools) or so everyone says. Maybe we'll talk to a realtor and see what he/she might say, we are a bit confused.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't give the whole picture. My wife doesn't work, she'll be driving me to the train station everyday, as long as the house is within 2-3 miles of the station, it's fine.
Then there's also the option of her driving you from Livingston to Orange, provided you live on the side of Livingston nearer to Orange. Cost would be about $235.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Then there's also the option of her driving you from Livingston to Orange, provided you live on the side of Livingston nearer to Orange. Cost would be about $235.
I didn't know that the train goes through Orange (the one that goes to Hoboken), can you tell me which station is that and what train? If that's the case, we can certainly consider that as well.

Thanks a lot for everyone's helpful responses, I really appreciate it.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that the train goes through Orange (the one that goes to Hoboken), can you tell me which station is that and what train? If that's the case, we can certainly consider that as well.

Thanks a lot for everyone's helpful responses, I really appreciate it.
Actually found the train myself, although the distance between the houses we were liking in livingston and the orange train station is somewhat long (6-7 miles), it might be doable.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 20,526 times
When is daily parking available at Chatham train station if I don't have a permit? Ie. what time do I need to be at the station to get parking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey