Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 AM

16 posts, read 44,758 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I are buying our first home. We've both lived in Monmouth County our entire lives and both work here as well. Even though the prices/taxes in this county are outrageous, we are trying to make it work because we do like the area. We are looking to stay in whatever we buy for at the very least 5 years but hope much longer like 7-10.

I noticed that Ryan Homes is building garage townhomes on Shafto Road in Tinton Falls that are in our price range ($220-260k). I started doing some research online and have found nothing but horrifically negative comments about the quality of Ryan Homes.

So, I am looking for some honest opinions of anyone who owns/used to own a Ryan Homes townhouse in the area. I am also wondering if there is any room for negotiation on the price of something that is new construction. We've never really explored new construction as a possibility so we have lots of questions .

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOrtiz87 View Post
Hi everyone. My husband and I are buying our first home. We've both lived in Monmouth County our entire lives and both work here as well. Even though the prices/taxes in this county are outrageous, we are trying to make it work because we do like the area. We are looking to stay in whatever we buy for at the very least 5 years but hope much longer like 7-10.

I noticed that Ryan Homes is building garage townhomes on Shafto Road in Tinton Falls that are in our price range ($220-260k). I started doing some research online and have found nothing but horrifically negative comments about the quality of Ryan Homes.

So, I am looking for some honest opinions of anyone who owns/used to own a Ryan Homes townhouse in the area. I am also wondering if there is any room for negotiation on the price of something that is new construction. We've never really explored new construction as a possibility so we have lots of questions .

Thanks in advance!
I don't know about Ryan homes, but your phrase that I bolded made me smile. Go look at house and tax prices in Bergen County, then Monmouth will seem more reasonable. I moved here because there was absolutely nothing--zero, zip--in my price range in Bergen County, especially the northwest area from whence I came and Monmouth County seemed so much cheaper yet was still within NYC commuting distance. You would never be able to even find a townhouse in your range.

Just saying it's all a matter of perspective.

I'm starting to suspect, however, that ALL the condo complexes are built with the cheapest materials possible. I've yet to hear anyone say that their townhouse or condo is well-built with good materials.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
I thought they were building up near the high school. If in fact they are building on Shafto Road, take into consideration how close to the county dump you'll be. My wife and I looked at new homes in Tinton Falls about 25 years ago. It was during the summer and the smell coming from the dump was quite noticeable. It was a deal breaker. That being said, we do have friends that own a Ryan built home (single family) and never heard them make any complaints about the construction. Good luck to you.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM

11,340 posts, read 16,697,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I thought they were building up near the high school. If in fact they are building on Shafto Road, take into consideration how close to the county dump you'll be. My wife and I looked at new homes in Tinton Falls about 25 years ago. It was during the summer and the smell coming from the dump was quite noticeable. It was a deal breaker. That being said, we do have friends that own a Ryan built home (single family) and never heard them make any complaints about the construction. Good luck to you.
Yeah, but by now the dump is closed and houses are selling for a premium (living on "the hill"). ..LOL

Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Yeah, but by now the dump is closed and houses are selling for a premium (living on "the hill"). ..LOL
Is the whole dump closed or is it just closed to household waste? The website is still up and active.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM

16 posts, read 44,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
That's what I thought also because I first saw the new construction online and the map showed it right near the parking lot at Monmouth Regional which I thought was a strange place to put townhouses. Friday I drove by the area they cleared on Shafto and Ryan Homes had the sign up there for Rose Glen. I do know the smell of that dump is pretty bad down closer to it but I didn't think of that. I'll have to refresh my memory when the weather gets warmer lol.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 8,602 times
Hi NOrtiz87 - We would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the Ryan Homes construction process and what buying new construction means to a new home owner. If you would like to read reviews and more info, visit RyanHomesReviews.com and let us know if you would like someone to contact you directly. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomes View Post
Hi NOrtiz87 - We would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the Ryan Homes construction process and what buying new construction means to a new home owner. If you would like to read reviews and more info, visit RyanHomesReviews.com and let us know if you would like someone to contact you directly. Good luck!
Hey, if they're going to spam so can I, lol. I don't have any personal experience other than what I have read and heard. The general vibe is that Ryan is one of the crappier builders out there. They tend to run a lot cheaper then their competition while offering slightly more square footage and "amenities", but that savings comes at the expense of quality.

There are countless sites out there dealing not just with the construction, but also the various Ryan businesses like their inhouse mortgage company.

Ryan Homes Nightmare Stories From REAL people

Ryan Homes Reviews they won't show you

Ryan Homes @ Pissed Consumer

ryan homes | Ripoff Report | Complaints Reviews Scams Lawsuits Frauds Reported

Consumer Complaints about Ryan Homes

On NVR mortgage...

Ripoff Report | Ryan Homes And NVR Mortgage, Roy Grant, Vice President NVR, Inc. T/a Ryan Homes And Dianne Counsel | Complaint Review: 273326

Ripoff Report | NV Homes /NVR Mortgage | Complaint Review: 300873

On top of that, neither Ryan nor NVR are BBB accredited businesses while most of the other major builders are.

The general talk is that their construction can be hit or miss. Some developments are great, others not so much. The usual advice was to talk home inspectors in the area and see what they have to say. In general, the townhomes seem to be much worse then the single family homes.

The other rule of thumb is to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use their inhouse mortgage company, NVR. They will try to pressure you, beat you, etc. to get you to go with them, but don't. The general line is that they are giving you "discounted" or "free" upgrades by using them. In reality, you are just paying inflated interest rates on the mortgage that let's them earn this money back and a lot more. There are also a lot of complaints about them playing rate lock games. Peoeple pay for a rate lock to cover the construction period and that period is conveniently overrun by a couple of "unforeseen delays" and then the rate on the mortgage goes way up. Ryan wants a consumer that; walks in, falls in love with the countertops in the model, signs everything that gets put in front of them, let's Ryan represent them in the transaction, uses NVR Mortgage, etc.

Also, remember that you are ENTITLED to retain your own representation, no matter how much they tell you you don't need it. Also, NEVER sign ANYTHING they put in front of you without having it reviewed by your own representation as many of those documents have buried clauses that basically make you sign away your rights.

Of course, some of the above applies to any new home builder, not just Ryan in terms of not using the inhouse mortgage company and retaining your own representation.

My unbiased advice...caveat emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: