Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM

6 posts, read 12,152 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Since the summer is around, i started searching for any beaches near the woodbridge nj county area. I have never been to any in NJ except at AC...lol.

It would be nice to go with the family and relax in the summer, so just pre-planning. Also are all the beaches paid or are there any free ones?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm75 View Post
Hi,

Since the summer is around, i started searching for any beaches near the woodbridge nj county area. I have never been to any in NJ except at AC...lol.

It would be nice to go with the family and relax in the summer, so just pre-planning. Also are all the beaches paid or are there any free ones?

Thanks
Well...since Woodbridge isn't on the shoreline, you have to travel a bit further south to get to a beach. Sandy Hook (Exit 117 off the GSP) is the first real beach you're going to hit, but it gets crowded in the summer so you have to get there early. On summer weekends, you'll see the signs on the parkway stating that's it's full by 10 a.m.

A lesser-known but nice choice is Seven Presidents Beach, which is a Monmouth County Park, in Long Branch. That's Exit 105.

I don't know of any that are free.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 64,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well...since Woodbridge isn't on the shoreline, you have to travel a bit further south to get to a beach. Sandy Hook (Exit 117 off the GSP) is the first real beach you're going to hit, but it gets crowded in the summer so you have to get there early. On summer weekends, you'll see the signs on the parkway stating that's it's full by 10 a.m.

A lesser-known but nice choice is Seven Presidents Beach, which is a Monmouth County Park, in Long Branch. That's Exit 105.

I don't know of any that are free.
+1 for Seven Presidents. Great little gem and not too far down the Parkway.

Also try Island Beach State Park, just south of Seaside Park. There are two main beaches with lifeguards and changing stations, but you can also venture deeper into the park and reach the beach through one of the multiple access points. There won't be any lifeguards or changing stations/bathrooms, but you will most likely have the beach to yourself.

http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?Id=2535

http://www.islandbeachnj.org

Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpoiz View Post
+1 for Seven Presidents. Great little gem and not too far down the Parkway.

Also try Island Beach State Park, just south of Seaside Park. There are two main beaches with lifeguards and changing stations, but you can also venture deeper into the park and reach the beach through one of the multiple access points. There won't be any lifeguards or changing stations/bathrooms, but you will most likely have the beach to yourself.

Monmouth County Park System Parks Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park, Long Branch

Island Beach State Park, New Jersey
Island Beach is picturesque and unspoiled compared to most NJ beaches. However, you want to get there early in the morning as parking is limited and they close the lots once they are full.

Spring Lake is a family-oriented area with no amusements but a boardwalk and a place to get food. Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights have the beaches plus all the rides and amusements if you have kids.

Unfortunately almost all NJ beaches charge a daily or seasonal fee. I believe that Wildwood is still free. It's got a HUGE beach and lots of rides and amusements. Cape May is close by as well.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM

527 posts, read 1,409,534 times
another vote for Island beach state park
One of NJ's jewels

one small price for the entire car
exit 82 from parkway S
head east on 37 until you go over barnegat bay
then head south thru middle of seaside park
Can't miss it, run right into it.

picnic on beach
lifeguard if you wnat to
showers
I don't believe any food is sold though, so bring all you want
no alcohol

go down about 1/2 mi past 2nd bathing beach
Tices, where all boaters anchor
they walk across land bay to beach
small (30) parking lot there.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,529 times
Since this topic was already started I'd like to know if there are any decent beaches near Brick to go for a few hours. Not looking for the boardwalk or anything fancy (I'm quite aware of where those spots are) - just if I wanted to spend a few hours during a weekday on my day off laying out or taking a swim without huge crowds, $20 parking and getting on the GSP. I'm in Lakewood on the Brick border (near rte 70/88) but I haven't really ventured out towards the beach areas yet. Any places in this area that fit that? Directions appreciated!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 AM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Since this topic was already started I'd like to know if there are any decent beaches near Brick to go for a few hours. Not looking for the boardwalk or anything fancy (I'm quite aware of where those spots are) - just if I wanted to spend a few hours during a weekday on my day off laying out or taking a swim without huge crowds, $20 parking and getting on the GSP. I'm in Lakewood on the Brick border (near rte 70/88) but I haven't really ventured out towards the beach areas yet. Any places in this area that fit that? Directions appreciated!
I go to West End Beach in Long Branch. Quiet, residential area, a walking boardwalk but there is a concession with food and drinks. You park on the streets in the area, no charge. Beach is $5 or $6 or so.

Exit 105 to 71 towards LB (right turn) then go straight past Monmouth U till you hit Ocean Avenue. Make left, then look for a place to park.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM

453 posts, read 1,742,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Brick Township has their own beaches along the ocean on Route 35 with parking. Seasonal or daily badges are required and they have different charges for seasonal vs. hourly parking. I'd give the recreation department a call at 732-262-1044.

The tricky part about daily access is that not all towns have bathrooms. Some allow coolers/food on the beach, some don't. Lavallette, for example, has daily badges, does not charge to park but isn't crazy about coolers or picnicing on the beach, and has no bathrooms or changing facilities. Point Pleasant has all of that but charges to park in private lots.

Rhys

Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,529 times
Thanks for the info MightyQueen and Rhys! I'll definitely look into it.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times
MightyQueen - can you help me understand how Long Branch works? I know that must sound ridiculous. But people have told me there is a long boardwalk to walk on and I don't know where that is exactly. Or if I just have a different definition of "long". I've been to Pier Village and the boardwalk doesn't seem very long to me. And I've been to 7 Pres, in the off season and from where I parked I didn't see a boardwalk at all. Or the children's park that people say is nice. I will definitely try the beach you mentioned. But where exactly would I go to walk the boardwalk? Or see the park? Normally I don't mind exploring but I have a little one and time is of the essence when we are out and about. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey