Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM

10 posts, read 21,380 times

Advertisements

In the market for a house, but couldn't decide on these towns: green brook, warren or hillsborough.
Budget: 650K
Year: younger than '80s
NYC commuter

Which town will be better, in terms of holding value, school and NYC commute?

The better sections of GB and Hillsboro both look fairly good. But got hesitated after reading previous posts here mentioning the 'snobbish' GB/Warren/Watchung area. How bad is GB anyway?

What about Hillsboro, high school seemed to be not as good as Watchung Hills, but really that bad?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,668 times
I like Warren the best, then Hillsborough, followed by G.B. I think the rule in that part of Jersey the higher the elevation the better.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
For a NYC commute, disregard Hillsborough. GB and Warren both send to the same HS. Warren has more Mc Mansions than GB but Greenbrook has Mc Mansions with a NYC view the sit adjacent to Watchung Mc Mansions.
People who live on GB in Mc Mansions sometimes have a Watchung mailing address and tell people they live in Watchung. it's a real "can you top this" mentality for some Warren , Watchung, Greenbrook people.

You can buy a house in Greenbrook on the south side of rt 22, send your kids to the Watching Hills HS and not have to put up with the silliness of those who live up on the hill with the view.

650 won't get you much up on the hill but you will find lots to choose from in the not so snobby older neighborhoods in Warren.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
as PDD said, disregard Hillsborough immediately.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 AM

264 posts, read 606,133 times
I didn't think Warren or GB had any good NYC commute options; do they?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,009 times
with 650K budget, I think you can look into New Providence and Berkeley Heights. If you commute to NYC downtown like my husband, you can drive to Newark Penn and take the PATH into city. Commute is very good.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 21,380 times
Thanks all for your input!

Bay, just wondering how long is the ride to Newark Penn in the rush hours, what about the parking?

If the NYC commuter doesn't mind extra time from Hillsborough, can anyone point out on the pros and cons, comparing Hillsborough (Belle Mead section) and Green Brook (north of Rt 22)?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdata View Post
Thanks all for your input!

Bay, just wondering how long is the ride to Newark Penn in the rush hours, what about the parking?

If the NYC commuter doesn't mind extra time from Hillsborough, can anyone point out on the pros and cons, comparing Hillsborough (Belle Mead section) and Green Brook (north of Rt 22)?

Thanks in advance!
i cannot imagine, for the life of me, the NYC commuter not minding the extra time. but ok.

unfortunately i can't answer your question but can tell you Belle Mead is not part of Hillsborough, it's part of Montgomery Township (and even further to NYC than Hillsborough).

Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM

560 posts, read 540,000 times
tahiti is right; i live near Hillsborough via back roads so if you want a reasonably decent commute to NYC, disregard hillsboro!!!!! 206 is a PITA to get through for you to drive the nearest train station or bus stop.

I would go for Warren over GB. Belle Mead...forget it, its even further out.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:40 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdata View Post
In the market for a house, but couldn't decide on these towns: green brook, warren or hillsborough.
Budget: 650K
Year: younger than '80s
NYC commuter

Which town will be better, in terms of holding value, school and NYC commute?

The better sections of GB and Hillsboro both look fairly good. But got hesitated after reading previous posts here mentioning the 'snobbish' GB/Warren/Watchung area. How bad is GB anyway?

What about Hillsboro, high school seemed to be not as good as Watchung Hills, but really that bad?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!
For the NYC commuter and good schools stay up in the hills;
-Warren
-Berkley Heights
-New Providence
-Basking Ridge
-Bernardsville

You can't go wrong up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey