Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 18,202 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your info. I will keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
I think mightyqueen's suggestion of Wayne is a good one, but wanted to give a word of caution about the flood area. If you find single family homes in the under $2000 range in Wayne, they are very likely in a flood zone. Definitely look into that if you are going to pursue homes in Wayne--though the flood area is a minority of the town, the areas that do flood, can flood very badly. (Same goes for areas of Lincoln Park and Pequannock, FWIW.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 AM

607 posts, read 958,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Must have visited somewhere else, that doesn't sound like Pittsburgh

Most of Pittsburgh is run down, dirty, many crime ridden/poor areas with many blacks, and most of the whites are white trash. Basically it's like Alabama.
When was the last time you were there - during WW2?

Pittsburgh has regularly landed at or near the top of 'most livable' lists for years; the downtown area is a clean, vibrant and architecturally diverse place and has become more popular recently for location movie shoots; it has internationally renowned arts and culture; PNC Park is widely considered the best ballpark in Major League Baseball (and Heinz Field is lauded as well); it is a center for medical and technological research...

try again...

Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 AM

149 posts, read 596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh, OK. It really depends upon how far he has to walk. I sometimes work in the Gateway buildings, which are a couple of blocks from Newark Penn Station. That's not a problem. There are a lot of professionals walking around that area at that time.

Not sure about other Newark neighborhoods and their walking distances to the train, so maybe if you have another street or an approximate area, someone can answer that question.
Newark also has another train station called Broad St. station. There is a trolley line that connects the two stations, and also has stops along the way. Much of the financial district is served by this trolley line so there is a good chance your husband can take the trolley if either of the 2 train stations are too far to walk to.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
If I were working in Newark today, I would still think living in Kearny, No. Arlington, Lyndhurst are good options. Some sections of Elizabeth are nice; then there's Maplewood, Union, Hillside and Belleville.

I don't understand the question about trains safe at 6 pm. They are just as safe at 6 pm as at 6am. Except more crowded - SRO

Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM

15 posts, read 18,202 times
I was warned do not walk on the street in Newark after dark. That is why I asked the question. Maybe I am too nervous about moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
If I were working in Newark today, I would still think living in Kearny, No. Arlington, Lyndhurst are good options. Some sections of Elizabeth are nice; then there's Maplewood, Union, Hillside and Belleville.

I don't understand the question about trains safe at 6 pm. They are just as safe at 6 pm as at 6am. Except more crowded - SRO

Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,995 times
Hi Littlelei! I used to live in Pittsburgh - downtown actually. I've lived in Wayne also. If you want, private message me, and maybe I can help you a little more being that I know both areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey