Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

You've heard of reckless driving -- now they're cracking down on reckless walking!

CBS New York reports that Fort Lee, N.J. police are going after dangerous walkers. Those who text while walking against traffic signals or who wander into traffic while listening to death metal on their iPod (and other distractors) are potential targets of the crackdown.

Dangerous Walking: Fort Lee, New Jersey Cracks Down On Walking While Texting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
What if I'm listening to ska? Am I exempt?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 9,498 times
This rule is.. controversial at best. Not all people who walk and text are idiots. It's just there are those people who can't get off their phones, keep texting, j-walk, get hit by a car, sue the driver, then gets counter sued and starts a whole annoying case.

The real issue is people getting too obsessed with their phones. I have a phone but I don't text and drive. I text and walk all the time but I always look where I'm going.

Also, Fort Lee generally has terrible drivers. This is coming from experience as I live by Fort Lee, used to work there, and have several friends there. And also a lot of Korean women driving (I feel bad for saying this because I'm Korean... but realistically, stereotype of Korean women not being great is true for the most part.).

Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
You've heard of reckless driving -- now they're cracking down on reckless walking!
Cracking down? Like they "crack down" on drivers using cell phones? While it is yet another freedom being taken away, I assure you, it won't be so bad.

My balcony unfortunately overlooks a pretty busy road, and I've been tracking how many drivers go past talking/texting/using their cell phones while driving. Alarmingly, it appears to me they run about 30%! I think it's safe to generalize that this is not occurring solely in my neighborhood, but is rampant everywhere.

I don't really understand why the police seem to let this possibly enormous revenue generator get away.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
is this really neccesary?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
another bull**** law by some dopey politician.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
texting is a problem - walking or driving

focus on what's in front of you - yeah, i know, tough concept

Old 05-11-2012, 11:30 PM

Really, I am totally ok with this. I don't do much walking around Ft Lee but damn when I was living in NY still everyone walks around buried in their stupid friggen phone. They'll walk right into ya then give you guff like you're the ass who's not watchin where they're going. Can't tell ya how many times I watched someone almost get mowed down by walking into oncoming traffic.

Either ticket em or just let em walk into traffic, let evolution take care of em. People need to get smacked upside the head sometimes.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 AM

86 posts, read 268,815 times
Another nanny state law to put with. Maybe I should wear my helmet when I'm walking, too!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Another nanny state law to put with. Maybe I should wear my helmet when I'm walking, too!
Nanny state? Really? Give me a break, this is nothing compared to what Lord Bloomturd imposes on the city of NY. If people used their heads to get themselves around rather than tweeting that they just peed at Panera Bread and posting photos of their half eaten sandwich on Instagram while walking into oncoming traffic they wouldn't need laws like this.

It's sad that we need laws like this to remind people not to kill themselves. But again, as I've said, I support just letting people get clipped off and reducing the potential of idiots procreating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: