Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 PM

286 posts, read 851,290 times

Advertisements

I would rather have John Doe off the street work the state job than corrupt Tom Smith to double dip with a pension and state funded salary. There are 8 million people in this state. Plenty of other qualified people to do Tom's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 06:27 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Um, how did I seem to forget that when I'm the one who pointed out that you cannot do that in The NYS system?

You are putting forth an entirely different scenario than what the OP was saying, which was a person retired and collecting a pension and then working at another job in the state sytem and still collecting the pension.

So, somebody get the story straight. Does NJ allow that or not?

Yes but what they don't allow is permitting that same employee to start up another "new" pension in the same system. They cannot have two pensions in the system. Only one is permitted and when they retire they can collect on that one pension but not add to it after retiring or start up a new one. But they can save up sick and vacation time just as they did before retiring and coming back as a rehire they just have to have connections or know something about whomever can get them back in that they don't want to get out. Helps to know the dirt on some people I guess.

Most clerical employee's who know someone that got them in, few and far between, come back working only 20 hours a week with a lesser salary than before retiring. Want to save money start cutting down on the salaries of the overpaid. The higher the salary the higher the pension that's why it pays more for the employees with higher titles/positions but for the average clerical employee it sucks. Most of the higher paid are FA titles, law enforcement positions, some teachers (depending on the County, Municipality), Dept. heads, and of course the favored of who's sleeping with who and who's relative, etc etc lol. Most office jobs could be cut down to 20 hours a week which would help save a lot of money.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
I agree 100% with your comments. Why should teachers be treated differently then other public workers. If a teacher can't collect a pension and a paycheck, why should any other public employee? This in itself doesn't look good for Christi, he shouldn't be allowing certain people that have a political in to get away with this. This is a mess that needs cleaning up, does Christi have it in him to do so???
I fully agree that this is something that Christie needs to address and resolve, even if it means taking some skeletons out of his own buddies closets. It really is simple, you can't collect your pension while you are still employed by the state. If you retire and start taking payments, but then return to work for the state, the pension payments are frozen until you no longer work for the state.

bababua is correct that it is mostly politicians doing this, but the types of politicians that are doing it are the "constituional officers" at the county level; the sheriffs, surrogates and clerks. The second largest group are police officers who then move into working for the prosecutors office or another law enforcement affiliated office. It is rare for this to happen among regular state employees, legislatures, etc.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
double or even triple dipping is not about drawing pension and still working.
its retiring several times and drawing multiple pensions.
strange taxpayers allow enormous salaries & pensions to police and firemen and say nothing.
so its not about paying huge pensions its about who gets them??
we do trillion dollar bailouts to banks (AIG) with big fat bonuses and mega salaries & pensions.
but to pay a county clerk a pension is a public outrage.
subcontract all civil servants, not just little guys.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 AM

239 posts, read 467,950 times
[SIZE=5]FredJung[/SIZE]
befriend
91 posts, read 57,688 times

I would rather have John Doe off the street work the state job than corrupt Tom Smith to double dip with a pension and state funded salary. There are 8 million people in this state. Plenty of other qualified people to do Tom's job.

What you are saying is right on the money. Why would we want Tom who's collecting a large pension, benefits for life drawing yet another paycheck from us the taxpayers. It has been recently reported that there are a large amount of college graduates with multiple degrees that can't find a job. I rather give the job to one of them, who is qualified of course rather then the fat cat looking to take advantage of the system. Besides this also removes one more person from collecting unemployment in this state. What is country is paying out in entitlement benefits is through the roof. If our property taxes are going to be the highest in the country, we can at least spread the wealth.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
[SIZE=5]FredJung[/SIZE]
befriend
91 posts, read 57,688 times

What you are saying is right on the money. Why would we want Tom who's collecting a large pension, benefits for life drawing yet another paycheck from us the taxpayers. It has been recently reported that there are a large amount of college graduates with multiple degrees that can't find a job. I rather give the job to one of them, who is qualified of course rather then the fat cat looking to take advantage of the system. Besides this also removes one more person from collecting unemployment in this state. What is country is paying out in entitlement benefits is through the roof. If our property taxes are going to be the highest in the country, we can at least spread the wealth.
to decide who has a right to work and who does not and who gets a gov job and who does not is already greatly abused we dont want to make it even worse.
again the game of entitlement and privilege is greatly abused already. all too often the denouncer of large pensions are those who want a piece of that action.
what is needed is contracting out to kelly girl of all civil servant jobs inc those always excluded, mainly cops teachers and firemen.
we need less privilege and entitlement not a reshifting of privilege and entitlement.
all too often the concern in these posts is not the size of the pie but who gets the largest slice. 40 years of "moral reform" has shown "reformers" just want more of the pie.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-18-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
I agree 100% with your comments. Why should teachers be treated differently then other public workers. If a teacher can't collect a pension and a paycheck, why should any other public employee? This in itself doesn't look good for Christi, he shouldn't be allowing certain people that have a political in to get away with this. This is a mess that needs cleaning up, does Christi have it in him to do so???
Does he have it in him? Come one he has people in his own staff that are major offenders and we have not heard boo from him. That is what drives me nuts about the guy. He could be a very very solid Gov if he just stayed consistent. Lets not make him out to be this tough talking guy when in reality he picks and choose who gets his wrath regarding the same subject. I understand a lot of politicians do this but he is supposed to be no nonsense and not like most politicians.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 PM

683 posts, read 465,002 times
to decide who has a right to work and who does not and who gets a gov job and who does not is already greatly abused we dont want to make it even worse.

I'm sorry, but this smacks of bias and prejudice. Shouldn't the most qualified person get the job?

And by the way, I am not a state employee, nor do I know anyone who is "double dipping".

Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Here is my rule and I am not sure who the numb nuts is that would oppose this other then the obvious double dippers.

If you have any state job you cant collect any state pension. In order to collect a state pension you may not be employed by the state(town,county, or any other nonsense) in any capacity at all.
Part two you may only collect one pension regardless of how many dumb jobs you have in the state. You take the best one and that is it.
Part three You must cap pensions at some reasonable like 75k to stop the silly abuses of people getting over 100k in pension benefits. Its just dumb not fair and not helping the people who are collecting 20k to 30k and happen to be the majority of pensioners.

Rule four you dont like it too bad. Get another job.

Now tell me who would be against this? Greedy Teachers? Greedy Public workers? No my friends it would be the politicians and big wigs who have raped the system for so many years and then make the everyday worker look like a scumbag for having a pension.
Not to mention my plan would save the taxpayers billions of dollars and would allot the money in a much more fair and equitable manner then the current system.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post

I'm sorry, but this smacks of bias and prejudice. Shouldn't the most qualified person get the job?

And by the way, I am not a state employee, nor do I know anyone who is "double dipping".
And the most qualififed person is the one designated by the succession plan to fill Tom's position, and this is established before Tom retires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey