Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 21,317 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a summer camp in August for my 6 year old son. I would prefer Ridgewood/Glen Rock/Fair Lawn area. Can someone suggest one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
I can't reccomend a specific one since I haven't sent my kid to camp but I do reccomend you HUSTLE!!!! A lot of camps open up registration in December/January and are all booked up (and paid for) by February/March

You probably won't find any openings at the "best" camps in area at this point in the year and if you do I suggest you pounce on it.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM

I understand it is kind of late to inquire about it, but we did not know when or if we'll be moving in to this area until recently.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
Busy Bee Camp is quite popular. However, we're enrolling our 6 yr old in The Shack program that;s run by the Glen Rock rec dept. It's a town staple and you can't beat the price

Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
You can check with the YMCA here is the link to the Ridgewood Y Ridgewood YMCA the website shows they had a summer camp open house just a couple of weeks ago so they may still have open spots. Also there are a few parenting periodicals NJ Parent, Parent Guide are two that come to mind they usually have free copies in places that cater to children like the pediatricians office, the local library, kids play place like funplex, karate & dance schools etc. If you can pick up an issue there is usually a lot of advertisments for summer camps in there. They usually do an issue a year on summer camps so if you can get your hands on that issue there should be lots of reviews and in depth articles on featured camps (beware the articles may be sponsored).

Good luck I hope you find something that suits your needs!!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
Next year, plan on Camp Sycamore. When we lived in Fair Lawn, both my daughters went there and loved it. The price is fair and they have fun. I would recommend that next year, be there on the very first day of registration because spots fill up FAST! There is a more educational camp at TJ Middle school. My daughter did not like it, but I think it was more her personality. Most kids really enjoyed what they had to offer and you can do half day or full day and the kids get to decide what they want to take. You do have to live in Fair Lawn in order to go. The town has a camp as well, probably also fill up for this summer.

I second the Ridgewood YMCA. My kids never went there, but a friend sent her daughter there and she had a lot of fun.

I would also check out Boy Scouts camp. My daughter did the Girl Scout camp in Upstate, NY. I think the Boys Scouts have their own camp. Not sure how they run it, but with GS, you don't have to belong to any troupes.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 AM

39 posts, read 184,531 times
All 3 towns run their own summer day camps for town residents by the town pools.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Thank you all for the information. This is very helpful.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,544 times
Look into Camp Wydaca at the Wyckoff YMCA, if they still have room. Pricey but decent, except for the crazy drop off / pick up line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey