Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,514 times

Advertisements

I am currently interested in possibly using an alternative energy resource to energize my business office. I have been reading up on solar energy and am excited about the possibilities. To my understanding I found that there are two integral parts to this process, the photo-voltaic cells and the solar mounts. I know more about the photo-voltaic cells than the solar mounts does anyone know much about solar mounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Considering I heard yesterday that in 2015 the cost of electricity, set by fuel auctions that happened yesterday will be going UP about 8 times or more higher than what we pay today, we are going to HAVE TO generate our own power to survive. I will post a link later when I find it, back to work here.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
here's the link:

May 22, 2012
Due to new federal regulations, electric rates are rising and are set to explode in 2015. How will any broadcasting station survive such devastating increases? For that matter, how will any power-intensive business survive? Or any homeowner? Will this lead to a total meltdown of our national economy?

"The market-clearing price for new 2015 capacity – almost all natural gas – was $136 per megawatt. That’s eight times higher than the price for 2012, which was just $16 per megawatt. In the mid-Atlantic area covering New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and DC the new price is $167 per megawatt. For the northern Ohio territory served by FirstEnergy, the price is a shocking $357 per megawatt."

See this:

Obama

Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post

Due to new federal regulations, electric rates are rising and are set to explode in 2015.
Please note that this "information" comes from Fox Faux News. It may or may not be accurate, and I will believe this when it is reported by several news organizations. The author of that particular piece is the author of a book with a highly political agenda, and his job for Fox is as an "opinion columnist"--not as a newscaster. Opinion and hard facts can be...very different. Somehow, Fox Faux News frequently seems to report things that never appear in other sources, and later, most of their panic attack-inducing "news" stories prove to be highly inaccurate.

Anyway--to return to the original topic, whether to convert to solar power has a lot to do with the orientation of your house. I had a consultation with a very honest young woman from a solar power company who told me that the orientation of my house would not be optimum for solar power, and that it would take many, many years before I saw any financial advantage from such a large investment in the solar panels and related equipment.

Edited to add:
I have verified that electric rates will likely rise in 2015, to the tune of about $130 per year for the "average homeowner"--whoever that might be.
In other words, a rise of about $11 per month. Unless you are willing to use a very long timeline for amortizing the high cost of conversion to solar, you might want to forget about that type of conversion.

Rate increases are always a pain, but I am not going to sweat $11 extra per month. This level of price increase is very far from the "Oh my God, the sky is falling" type of price increase mentioned by the guy who wrote the article for Fox, but that shouldn't be a surprise.

Last edited by Retriever; 05-24-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Considering I heard yesterday that in 2015 the cost of electricity, set by fuel auctions that happened yesterday will be going UP about 8 times or more higher than what we pay today, we are going to HAVE TO generate our own power to survive.

Let's assume for the moment that I am "the average homeowner" whose electricity costs are slated to rise (according to most media sources) about $130 per year (or ~$11 per month) in 2015. That would bring my average monthly electric bill to something like $110 per month.

However, if we were to use the scare-figures provided for us by that Fox Opinion Columnist ("going UP about 8 times or more higher than what we pay today"), my monthly electric bill would be something on the order of $790--or more in 2015. Isn't it interesting that someone selling a book with a highly-charged political agenda and who is working for a media outlet that also has an obvious political agenda, comes up with figures that nobody else in the media seems to project?

If I were you, I would be HIGHLY skeptical of the claims made in that article--unless Chicken Little is your role model.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Well I hope it doesn't increase x 8 - and I have solar panels on my personal residence! Not to mention the SRECs are about $500 less than they were 2 year ago.

Quote:
"....... could create a significant ripple effect through the energy economy that would reduce production, increase the cost of electricity and gasoline and ultimately affect jobs," said Kurt Barrow, vice president at Purvin & Gertz, a division of IHS.
Energy prices may rise on speculation law - Mar. 28, 2012

"Could create". Another "wait and see" game.

Quote:
Households paid a record $1,419 on average for electricity in 2010, the fifth consecutive yearly increase above the inflation rate, a USA TODAY analysis of government data found. The jump has added about $300 a year to what households pay for electricity.
Household electricity bills skyrocket

Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,232,713 times
We were promised that "energy costs would skyrocket under my plan".

when you own a house that is all electric when built to take advantage of the discount the energy co gave for 'all electric' homes. Of course there is no sympathy from the E companies if you took advanatge of their offer.

No gas lines to the neighborhood so that leaves oil or propane or wood.

Solar would be nice but as a stand alone, not yet.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Solar energy is definitely practical in NJ, depending on your location, and the specific application. I'd highly recommend talking to installers and having them come and assess your property. Many people in NJ have breakeven periods of 7 years or less, and even better depending on the state and federal subsidies available at that time.

It's funny that people get so hung up on this "War on Coal". But that aside, the cost of generating electricity has actually helped us keep energy prices relatively flat over the past 5-10 years. Natural gas prices are falling even more, and Power companies are generating more electricity from that anyhow. But people still want to cling to coal. Whatever.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,587 times
Hi, my name is Darling. I work for a company for solar energy in Berlin, NJ. If anyone has any question good or bad or just need general information. Feel free to contact me at via [email]gymqueen12000@yahoo.com[/email]. Will answer truthful and I am not here to pressure you into anything. Only commenting because I see a lot of confusion.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada0409 View Post
Hi, my name is Darling. I work for a company for solar energy in Berlin, NJ. If anyone has any question good or bad or just need general information. Feel free to contact me at via xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Will answer truthful and I am not here to pressure you into anything. Only commenting because I see a lot of confusion.
No, you are commenting because you are trying to drum-up business, despite your...compromised...literacy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: